Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 PM

268 posts, read 357,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Big time. Hills and hills of cookie cutter tract housing. Lots of chain restaurants near Helotes too.
Not all of Helotes is cookie cutter. Helotes has beautiful rural areas with nice neighborhoods as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDad10 View Post
I don't wanna live on top of my neighbor like I do now. At least 1/4 acre yard. I see Helotes would accommodate that. Is Helotes feasible to Dilley? What about if I work in Karnes?

The Alamo Heights area seems a bit older?

Alamo Heights is older, nice community and neighborhood feel, but homes are typically pretty close to each other. Although not as close as new communities.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDad10 View Post
Thank you very much for that detailed info. The major concern is a stay at home wife with 2 small children. Want to make sure it's a good area, etc. What is new braunfels like? (For karnes location).
New Braunfels is great if you have kids. Schlitterbahn is a renowned water park!
Ive been through some nice neighborhoods in North New Braunfels off of hwy 46 that might fit your bill.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 AM

349 posts, read 422,019 times
La Vernia if in Karnes

Lytle or Helotes if in Dilley

Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Might give Lake Shore Estates a look. That's in Lytle. Supposedly it has more millionaires per capita than any place near here. It's about 10 minutes south of San Antonio on IH35. You'll get far better police protection there than anywhere. Schools are good.
I think you may be putting too much into schools. Even the worst schools produce brilliant kids while the best still put out morons. It's all about how the kid is being raised and if they accept the responsibility to do the work. School is not daycare for older kids although we do have "parents" that thinks schools are suppose to raise their kids. If you are an involved parent and see to it that your kids are doing their home work and stay in touch with the teachers, the kids will do fine.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Lake Shore has a covered private pavilion, playground, and a fishing lake. One of these houses sits on a lake front lot.

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM

94 posts, read 119,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Might give Lake Shore Estates a look. That's in Lytle. Supposedly it has more millionaires per capita than any place near here. It's about 10 minutes south of San Antonio on IH35. You'll get far better police protection there than anywhere. Schools are good.
I think you may be putting too much into schools. Even the worst schools produce brilliant kids while the best still put out morons. It's all about how the kid is being raised and if they accept the responsibility to do the work. School is not daycare for older kids although we do have "parents" that thinks schools are suppose to raise their kids. If you are an involved parent and see to it that your kids are doing their home work and stay in touch with the teachers, the kids will do fine.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Lake Shore has a covered private pavilion, playground, and a fishing lake. One of these houses sits on a lake front lot.
Excellent! I will definitely look in to that area. We are very hands on, old fashioned parenting skills. Schools don't raise your children, but we also don't want a school that's in the lower tier.

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
New Braunfels would maybe be a long commute. Haven't been down to Karnes City or Kenedy area in ages,Karnes being the
name of the County karnes City and Kenedy are in. Dilley, haven't been there in years either.
You might Look at say google maps. Dilley and Karnes City have I think Chambers of Commerce.
Now if you work in Dilley, the Lackland area might not be that bad of a commute, or you could look at Pleasanton ,the county seat of Atascosa County south of San Antonio.The other big town there is Jourdanton.You can drive to San Antonio,think its about 32 miles from SA. For Karnes, you have LaVernia as well as Floresville,the county seat of Wilson County.
I work for Schertz ISD out by RandolphAFB. Our Director of Finance Peggy, commutes from Hobson to here. Believe me there's not much to Hobson which is near Falls City and Kenedy.
LaVernia I understand has reallygrown . I guess you'll need to base where you live on which job location you get.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:09 PM

94 posts, read 119,954 times
Thanks for the responses!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
What about Floresville? You are within a short(ish) commute to the areas in south SA and I know they have a great HEB. There is lots of land and the schools are probably comparable to the Seguin area (you won't get Alamo Heights, NEISD or NISD if you want to be south of SA as some have mentioned).

Old 06-03-2015, 05:11 PM

520 posts, read 781,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
This 100 times!!

This needs to be a stickied post and mandatory reading for every "Which the best school district?" thread.

The gap between bad to good schools can be pretty big, however from good to best is pretty small in regards to quality of education. There are very few schools that are the outliers on the best end of things as to virtually guarantee admittance to a top 10 in <pick your major> in th entire country - the Friends School in D.C. is one of those which have the connections and alumni network to pull it off. I'm not sure if any such beast exists in SA, but if it does - it's private.

Literally, 90% of a kid's sucess will depend on parental involvement and interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio