Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:53 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone had a similar problem and can answer my questions or let me know about the local laws.
I tried to google it, but didn't found answers to all my questions.

I have several old and huge pecan trees on my backyard. They are beautiful and give my yard a great shade in Summer. Few days ago, a quite large limb fell on my neighbor yard (no damage), and incidentally (?) a Code Enforcement truck was driving the back alley. I received a notice tucked into my front door that there is "possibly" a dead tree, and I need to contact them.
My neighbor (very friendly relationship, or at least I thought so) denied calling them, and I offered the limb removal and clean-up at my cost.
Now, I have few questions: (so, when I contact them, I will have right answers)
1. Are my trees their business?
2. Can they make me to cut down a perfectly fine, old and beautiful pecan tree, only because they suspect that the tree is "dead"?
3. How can they determine that a tree is "possibly dead" when it looks healthy to me? Should I get someone to check on that? Who is going to pay for it?
3. Can they ask me to mutilate the beautiful tree canopy, so it does not grow over my neighbor and the alley (property line)? The tree is very tall, and not obstructing anything, including the power lines.

What I should know and/or do?

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Well, in my area, and in my experience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
1. Are my trees their business?
Only if infringing on their property.

Quote:
2. Can they make me to cut down a perfectly fine, old and beautiful pecan tree, only because they suspect that the tree is "dead"?
No, but they can make you trim it.

Quote:
3. How they can determine that a tree is "possibly dead" when it looks healthy to me? Should I get someone to check on that? Who is going to pay for that?
An arborist, on your dime.

Quote:
3. Can they ask me to mutilate the beautiful tree canopy, so it does not grow over my neighbor and the alley (property line)? The tree is very tall, and not obstructing anything, including the power lines.
Definitely!

YMMV!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:24 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Typically, and it may vary between states, anything over the property line can be trimmed back to that line by the infringed upon property owner.

Unless the tree is in imminent danger of falling (say pulling out of the ground and leaning) you can't be made to cut down a healthy tree.

If a limb falls off your tree and damages the neighbor's house his insurance will be the covering mechanism. Unless, your tree is an obvious danger and you've ignored it.

The electric company will usually trim limbs overhanging its right of way.

Your neighbor can not force you to cut down a healthy, non-dangerous tree.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Typically, and it may vary between states, anything over the property line can be trimmed back to that line by the infringed upon property owner.

Unless the tree is in imminent danger of falling (say pulling out of the ground and leaning) you can't be made to cut down a healthy tree.

If a limb falls off your tree and damages the neighbor's house his insurance will be the covering mechanism. Unless, your tree is an obvious danger and you've ignored it.

The electric company will usually trim limbs overhanging its right of way.

Your neighbor can not force you to cut down a healthy, non-dangerous tree.
^^^This is correct. Pretty much universal law across the country. You can plant any tree you like on your ppty. The only exception is if tree planting is controlled by HOA CC&R's. If some of the tree grows over the ppty line that owner can trim it back at his expense only to your ppty line. He/she is not allowed to kill it. If the tree is rotting/dying and you have been made aware of it, and that tree falls and does damage, you can be held responsible for not taking care of the problem before it did the damage.
If you get a citation/notice of any danger and to remove it the agency will notify you probably with a registered letter and give you usually 90 days to take care of it, or if it's in eminent danger to health/welfare/ppty then you may be required to remove it immediately.
If you think there is nothing wrong with the tree get a certification of such by a licensed registered arborist and submit it to the agency involved.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Texas Tree Ordinances

Texas Tree Ordinances

Old 06-13-2015, 11:12 AM

^^^ Great link!!
Thank you ALL for the replies. I still wonder about LOCAL laws and individual experiences with Code Enforcement.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This link may be helpful, elnina. Tree Preservation

In my experience checking out an issue with neighborhood trees, the SA city arborists were very patient and willing to answer my questions. (A link to the contact info for the staff is on that page.) At this point, you may not have any questions you need to take to them, but I thought this tip would also be useful to others who have basic questions about SA's city tree ordinances.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM

^^^ This is very helpful!! Thank you!

Old 06-13-2015, 02:52 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Always,

Try to keep neighbors trees cut back , if they don't. I have had a very large branch off my neighbors tree fall on my garage before. Luckily the thing was constructed of 2x12"s and no damage occurred.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:33 AM

Its really very hard to cut back a very large pecan tree that grows on the corner of my yard. I can't make it look like an Italian cypress
I guess, I will have to see if the tree could be thinned to allow it to get full sun. The huge load of pecans could be also a reason for limb breakage.
Thank you all for good tips!

Last edited by elnina; 06-14-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio