U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnd5 View Post
The Medical Center sounds like the hood.lol Im good on that...I would like to be somewhere fairly quite and nice.

Yeah, its seems like West and North West San Antonio has either apartments or homes.There doesnt seem to be many town homes available. I may just look into renting a house. Thanks!

There are some townhomes here, but it's not that common. Most of what you see are the ones that are part of an apartment complex, and it's a townhome because it has two floors for one apartment. There are some really run-down townhomes, several blocks of them, near the Heritage pool off Marbach (not the same townhomes on Marbach mentioned above, those are in a fenced complex that looks like an apartment complex). There are some newer ones off Wurzbach behind Ingram Mall, which are nice and have modern finishes, but a quick search of 78238 on Zillow showed those townhomes renting for about $1300/month and you can rent a house for that, and not have to share walls with people.

Some parts of the Medical center are really nice, there are some condos and some more upscale apartment complexes. I never lived in any of those, but I'd imagine the noise would be the same even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 AM

10 posts, read 8,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There are some townhomes here, but it's not that common. Most of what you see are the ones that are part of an apartment complex, and it's a townhome because it has two floors for one apartment. There are some really run-down townhomes, several blocks of them, near the Heritage pool off Marbach (not the same townhomes on Marbach mentioned above, those are in a fenced complex that looks like an apartment complex). There are some newer ones off Wurzbach behind Ingram Mall, which are nice and have modern finishes, but a quick search of 78238 on Zillow showed those townhomes renting for about $1300/month and you can rent a house for that, and not have to share walls with people.
Yeah, I seen the townhomes near the Ingram mall and those seem pretty nice, but like you said I can rent a house for that price. I may just look into a house then. It just becomes a little overwheming especially since I am no where near Texas at the moment and am solely depending on the internet to look into the area. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Personally, I'd not purchase anything until I lived here. Get a short-term rental for 6 months or so, give yourself the time to get to know the area.....THEN make your decision.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
The Medical Center sounds like the hood.lol Im good on that...I would like to be somewhere fairly quite and nice.

Yeah, its seems like West and North West San Antonio has either apartments or homes.There doesnt seem to be many town homes available. I may just look into renting a house. Thanks!
It is not quite the hood as some make it out to be. My car has been broken into once (I forgot to lock it actually) since I moved to the area in 2007 and before that I lived on the far NW side where my car also got broken into. Car break-ins are going to happen anywhere in San Antonio. Even in gated communities.

Yeah there are sirens and helicopters at all times of the day and night. I have never personally heard any of my neighbors complain about it but if you are sensitive to that kind of thing then the medical center is definitely not for you. Same for downtown areas, not going to be much more quiet there.

Hopefully you find the townhome or house you are looking for.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Personally, I'd not purchase anything until I lived here. Get a short-term rental for 6 months or so, give yourself the time to get to know the area.....THEN make your decision.
That sounds pretty good to me. I think Ill take you up on that. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It is not quite the hood as some make it out to be. My car has been broken into once (I forgot to lock it actually) since I moved to the area in 2007 and before that I lived on the far NW side where my car also got broken into. Car break-ins are going to happen anywhere in San Antonio. Even in gated communities.

Yeah there are sirens and helicopters at all times of the day and night. I have never personally heard any of my neighbors complain about it but if you are sensitive to that kind of thing then the medical center is definitely not for you. Same for downtown areas, not going to be much more quiet there.

Hopefully you find the townhome or house you are looking for.
interesting. I didn't know that was an issue in San Antonio ill keep that in mind in my search. Sirens don't bother me, but I would prefer to not be so close to the hospitals. Thanks

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
interesting. I didn't know that was an issue in San Antonio ill keep that in mind in my search. Sirens don't bother me, but I would prefer to not be so close to the hospitals. Thanks
Yeah, car break ins are an issue here.

Not trying to make San Antonio less appealing to you but it is what it is.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Paying monthly rent on a garage is worth the money. Lots of complexes have garages and some of those also have townhouse apartments ( usually not in a row like most people think of them, but 2 story apartments. )

I would suggest using a locator service. They're free and the one we just used was extremely helpful.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,546,018 times
Quote:
That sounds pretty good to me. I think Ill take you up on that. Thank you!
You may not even like SA. Many don't, many do. Easier for you to move away if the former.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:47 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,546,018 times
Quote:

Any place in Texas is a good place to live in Texas, except for San Antonio, apparently.
The researchers at NerdWallet looked at cities across the state, comparing homeownership rates, quality of schools, crime rates and transportation issues, and ranked none of San Antonio's suburbs in its Top 10 Best Places to Live in Texas list.

San Antonio: 'Least safe' places to live in Texas, NerdWallet says - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio