U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 PM

469 posts, read 1,668,480 times
I went to Sun Harvest and was not impressed. All I'm really looking for now is decent produce. I've given up trying to find things to replace what HEB doesn't carry and other grocery store chains do. The HEB at 1604 and Bandera has consistantly the worst produce. We have to drive down the 10 to the DeZavala HEB to buy produce. How sad is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 AM

196 posts, read 492,375 times
What I liked abt HEB service is that when you are looking for something, the pple dont just point you to it, but walk you there and make sure you find it.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,915 times
My mother who moved to SA from CA (and who then moved back to CA in dismay after six months) had similar frustration with HEB concerning choice. She could never find the brands she liked to buy at Ralphs and Albertsons (e.g., "Where are the 6 oz. cans of Dole pineapple juice?" kind of thing.) And being the power healthfood store shopper she was, she just took one look inside of Sun Harvest and got the chills. I have to agree with her, Sun Harvest is just someone's idea of a 1965 dusty crossroads general store joke. It's just plain gross in there.

I, personally, don't have a problem with HEB (other than their being a monopoly) because I have only basic needs, the atmosphere is nice, and the staff VERY helpful. I do go to the one at I-10 and DeZavala, which is one of their nicer ones, though.

As for HEBs Central Market, I get a good laugh sometimes that many of their items are priced far above Whole Foods, if you can imagine that (while others cost less). You have to comparison shop on an item-by-item basis.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM

283 posts, read 1,343,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
I went to Sun Harvest and was not impressed. All I'm really looking for now is decent produce. I've given up trying to find things to replace what HEB doesn't carry and other grocery store chains do. The HEB at 1604 and Bandera has consistantly the worst produce. We have to drive down the 10 to the DeZavala HEB to buy produce. How sad is that?
Just head west on 1604 to Culebra.

That HEB has great produce and is very clean

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,061,057 times
I can't put my finger on it but the Heb Plus at Potranco seems to be more expensive than Walmart for food.

I was also hoping that they'd offer Ethanol since they were building a new gas station.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,530,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I can't put my finger on it but the Heb Plus at Potranco seems to be more expensive than Walmart for food...
Interesting, isn't it? I remember when HEB used to take on Albertson's and Krogers by comparing prices for a basket full of groceries, with full page ads no less, and then showing how much was saved by using HEB. I haven't seen that used against Walmart Super Centers.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 AM

422 posts, read 987,071 times
HEB meat and produce is far superior than that of Wal-mart. Also the meal deals are always well priced.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,118,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Interesting, isn't it? I remember when HEB used to take on Albertson's and Krogers by comparing prices for a basket full of groceries, with full page ads no less, and then showing how much was saved by using HEB. I haven't seen that used against Walmart Super Centers.
There's no Kroger's in San Antone, and what's H-E-B Plus?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,530,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
There's no Kroger's in San Antone, and what's H-E-B Plus?

Kroger left the city some time ago due to "labor disputes" with local employees. I think competing with HEB was the real reason.

HEB Plus is the same as Walmart Super Center, minus clothes and a few other items. Currently, there are two HEB Plus stores with a third one being built on northside I believe.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,118,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Kroger left the city some time ago due to "labor disputes" with local employees. I think competing with HEB was the real reason.

HEB Plus is the same as Walmart Super Center, minus clothes and a few other items. Currently, there are two HEB Plus stores with a third one being built on northside I believe.
Oh, okay. Because I haven't lived in San Antonio since '01.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio