Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike222 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I totally agree. I work in a professional setting with a lot of potential to work from home. However, that is not possible due to the unreliability of my internet service. Also, I had to complain and threaten to leave AT&T to get a microcel in my home due to the fact that the towers in my area are half working. Its ridiculous. I will write my council rep asap! Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I refuse to move. While i am able to live elsewhere, this is my childhood home that was given to me a few years back.
And you shouldn't have to move...these big companies need to care for their infrastructure. And I know the AT&T outside plant is really old and in need of some serious upgrades. Keep complaining and pray that Google fiber doesn't pull out just because a few people think their huts should look different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
And you shouldn't have to move...these big companies need to care for their infrastructure. And I know the AT&T outside plant is really old and in need of some serious upgrades. Keep complaining and pray that Google fiber doesn't pull out just because a few people think their huts should look different.
It wasn't the look of the huts, it was where they were putting them and all the damage they were doing putting the lines in. Google was being way more intrusive than Time Warner(Spectrum) or AT&T was but I guess that doesn't matter for some people...they were willing to pay that price for high speed internet.

Last edited by Azure110; 01-18-2017 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
I wish they would hurry up as I'm getting tired of getting raped by TWC. $225 a month is my latest bill. It's insane!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:28 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Crews were getting ready to install AT&T fiber last week in my neighborhood (an unfashionable part of 78204 - Probandt south of 90). So far it's just orange conduit sticking out of holes in the ground. One of the guys said it's usually about three weeks from when the fiber is installed to when service becomes available.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Crews were getting ready to install AT&T fiber last week in my neighborhood (an unfashionable part of 78204 - Probandt south of 90). So far it's just orange conduit sticking out of holes in the ground. One of the guys said it's usually about three weeks from when the fiber is installed to when service becomes available.
AT&T ran fiber in my upper-middle income neighborhood last summer. And yes, the service became available within weeks of completion. HOWEVER, the availability of their fiber service is spotty -- some streets/blocks get it, and others don't. Mine doesn't. 45mbps download is the fastest they can do on my block. But just a couple of blocks away, they have 1gig.

No word on if and when AT&T plans to fill-in those missing pockets.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I wish they would hurry up as I'm getting tired of getting raped by TWC. $225 a month is my latest bill. It's insane!
Call Spectrum and tell them you want to lower your bill. I got $60/month knocked off of mine by doing that and all I lost was a few channels. I also gained a much nicer Spectrum cable box!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Call Spectrum and tell them you want to lower your bill. I got $60/month knocked off of mine by doing that and all I lost was a few channels. I also gained a much nicer Spectrum cable box!
Was this for internet and also TV? My contract is up in March with ATT and Direct TV and I am definitely looking for something else. I was very unhappy with the Non Service with Direct TV.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
Was this for internet and also TV? My contract is up in March with ATT and Direct TV and I am definitely looking for something else. I was very unhappy with the Non Service with Direct TV.
Internet and TV, no phone.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Cut the cord. It requires some work and an upfront investment, but all I have now is internet and my total monthly bill for everything is $125. For that, I get all the local channels, all the major cable channels (except Viacom ones), all ESPN Sports, All Fox Sports, Showtime, HBO, Hulu, and Netflix too. I put a digital TV antenna in my attic that feeds to an HD Homerun server and have Apple TVs for all my TVs in the house. Local Channels feed to the Apple TVs via the Channels TV app, plus I have Playstation Vue app. Other apps as noted above. It was a PITA to set up, mostly because of putting the antenna in my attic, but in hindsight it was one of the best investments I ever made. No haggling with deals and if someone else comes out with a better app with channels at better prices, I can switch at-will. I have so much stuff to watch and I save probably $1500 a year or more over when I was with Uverse. And I own my Apple TVs instead of paying $10 per month for boxes I would never own. Calling AT&T to tell them AMF was one of the sweetest pleasures. I did sitch to TWC Spectrum so I could get the better speeds on internet. Only other move I contemplate is Google Fiber when/if they ever make it to where I live. Cutting the cord is truly the way to go!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Cut the cord. It requires some work and an upfront investment, but all I have now is internet and my total monthly bill for everything is $125. For that, I get all the local channels, all the major cable channels (except Viacom ones), all ESPN Sports, All Fox Sports, Showtime, HBO, Hulu, and Netflix too. I put a digital TV antenna in my attic that feeds to an HD Homerun server and have Apple TVs for all my TVs in the house. Local Channels feed to the Apple TVs via the Channels TV app, plus I have Playstation Vue app. Other apps as noted above. It was a PITA to set up, mostly because of putting the antenna in my attic, but in hindsight it was one of the best investments I ever made. No haggling with deals and if someone else comes out with a better app with channels at better prices, I can switch at-will. I have so much stuff to watch and I save probably $1500 a year or more over when I was with Uverse. And I own my Apple TVs instead of paying $10 per month for boxes I would never own. Calling AT&T to tell them AMF was one of the sweetest pleasures. I did sitch to TWC Spectrum so I could get the better speeds on internet. Only other move I contemplate is Google Fiber when/if they ever make it to where I live. Cutting the cord is truly the way to go!
I agree, cutting the cord is a more viable option than ever. OTA w/sub-channels, streaming services, and Apps like SlingTV, will get you locals (including a few don't come with pay-TV services), movies, and some Cable/satellite-type channels.

And, I would also point out that most modern TVs can receive local channels without any special equipment, using their built-in digital tuner. Just need an appropriate UHF/VHF antenna. If you are disconnecting a Cable TV or satellite feed, you can usually just feed the antenna trough the existing coax cable to your TVs.

As for Google fiber, my understanding is they had to agree to make their highest level of service available to all San Antonio residences, in exchange for the deals they got on locating their fiber huts on tax-exempt City property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio