Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:53 AM

657 posts, read 739,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The term "Mexican" is so much more simple. Covers all bases. No need to get all complicated about it.
Pretty stupid to throw a mexican american who doesnt even know spanish in the same boat as a mexican who grew up in a shack and doesnt know a lick of english. yet so many people do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Pretty stupid to throw a mexican american who doesnt even know spanish in the same boat as a mexican who grew up in a shack and doesnt know a lick of english. yet so many people do it
::shakes head::

No comment on what you think is stupid and isn't other than you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to my own.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Yet the people who criticize me for criticizing my "shack" variety Mexican neighbors do it all the time; how dare I say such things when THEIR Mexican neighbors are better educated/dressed/behaved/mannered than I am? Why, some of their best friends are Mexicans!

But not THESE Mexicans.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 PM

432 posts, read 523,098 times
There's a dozen variants of Spanish in SA and those who "know Spanish" form an instant opinion of other Spanish speakers.

This is a huge challenge for Spanish language TV and radio stations.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
My friend told me he loves Mexicans and Central Americans even more because when he's around them he feels tall(he's 5'3") for the first time in his life. Viva the little guys!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 PM

657 posts, read 739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
My friend told me he loves Mexicans and Central Americans even more because when he's around them he feels tall(he's 5'3") for the first time in his life. Viva the little guys!
Mexicans are rarely even that short. I know every brown person looks the same to some Anglos but central americans are the real short ones.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:13 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default The Right one, the one 33 is right,

These wealthy are spoiled kids. Very accurate , race was kept records of in Old Mexico right to the fraction so as to keep all in their place. The stratification was very ridiculous there. You are the one alright, the right one. The wealthy always think all are beneath them unless you have more than they do. This is exxaggerated in Mexico, this is what all have only begun to see. Everywhere- Everyone is jockeying for status so as to make themselves- make themselves feel superior to others, as though they were so far above as to recieve special distinctions, priveleged. This is how poorly they feel about themselves,that they must emphasize especially their status so much so, as to make it obvious to all. There is them and then there is all the other lowly people. The top 1% in Mexico have simply been doing this for much longer than here. Social injustice is more pronounced there, intentionally so. This social corruption has spread to here now.
So Self-centered that extreme social lines were deliberately created, drawn ; it is immoral. This is THE Donald.effect. This is the 1%. It is here now, also. The middle class in the U.S. has been vanishing for the last 30 years. Since the time of Reagan - " Dutch". This is a crazy upside time in history when corporations are people. Makes perfect sense. Money and status is everything.

There were more slaves in Mexico than in the U.S. Colonies but they all were freed in 1810. Also kept obscure for many years is the fact that Black Californian families Founded founded the city of Los Angeles .

An exception for Pio Pico. His remarkable story stands out. His grandfather was among the first explorers of North California.This Pico was a man who refused to be classified by race. HE simply did not listen. His paternal grandmother was of mixed race ancestry. African, Mestizo and European.

Spaniards were crazy anyway as the Iberian peninsula was a crossroads, as is San Antonio, and had been invaded countless times and had centuries of so much immigration there because of its' geographic location there is no such thing as a "pure" spaniard any more than there is a pure American.- Spain after thousands and thousands of years was a mix of French, German, Italian , Arab and African.
The Muslims held Spain for 500 years.

This Californian Pico was a man of great personal presence, multiple talents and great political instincts who owned tens of thousands of acres, built a 40 room hotel, was a cattle Baron and ultimately became the last Governor of Mexican California and before this - held a Ca. senatorial seat. All this was accomplished under the near feudal system of Mexico where it was impossible for one to rise beyond their predetermined place in the social fabric of a European societal country where artificial status is held dear.
SO strong willed, so forceful, so successful was this man that he made all else conform to this way of thinking. He was at least one hundred years ahead of his time. Remarkable.

Also was a citizen of three countries Spain , Mexico and the U.S.

Quote:
They are the ones with money and think everyone is beneath them. They look down on mexican americans and just about everyone else. You are not imagining things. Theres a long, ugly history of racism and caste system in mexico. I bet they usually have bright eyes, light hair and white skin right? They have been running mexico for hundreds of years and act like spoiled kids

Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Whatever,

Whatever floats your boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskins View Post
I like it when Mexican chicks bump into me.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 AM

83 posts, read 156,115 times
I live in an apartment near Sonterra so needless to say I have these people as my upstairs neighbors. They stomp, jump, run, bang and roll around their apartment all day every day and I can hear everything. Just yesterday, I went up there and very nicely told them that we can actually hear everything they are doing and it's gotten a little out of the control. The woman pretended she couldn't understand my English and had her young daughter translate for her. Then just walked away and shut the door in the middle of the conversation. So, yep they do think they are entitled and that no one else exists in their world but them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio