U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's a sign of prestige for a city. Having corporate HQs in town shows that the local and state governments are friendly to business. It also indicates that the area has a pool of quality workers from which to draw and that the quality of life in the area will help the company compete for new employees from other areas.
Yeah, having a companies HQ is very good for a city. Especially if it makes the Fortune 1000 list (and even better if it makes the Fortune 500 list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,427,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
He said companies "in SA".
If you had read the entire conversation, I was providing a list of companies with a "presence" in SA, not necessarily HQed here. And what difference does it make where most of AT&T's customers are? That doesn't even make sense.

And of course Valero's refineries are in Houston. Last I checked, SA was still three hours from the coast.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 AM

83 posts, read 217,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
He said companies "in SA".
exactly. .

Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 AM

927 posts, read 1,210,229 times
Default Big league sports means prestige

Going back to the start of the thread, I believe San Antonio is in dire need of two things mostly. More major league teams and more graduate programs to choose from. Aside from what some believe, San Antonio is more than ready and capable to support both Major League Baseball and NFL football. I've argued back and forth as to why it is so I won't revisit that in this post. Suffice to say that it's only a matter of time.

In case no one has noticed there is a dearth of places to obtain a graduate or post-graduate education in San Antonio. UTSA and St. Mary's have a few programs but both pale in comparison to other major urban universities in the country. I've always wondered why this is the case since my early days as a college student. Was it planned that way? Or is it just a reflection of the intellectual market demand here in SA. At any rate it would be nice to have the vast array of graduate choices that are available to people in other cities be made available to students here.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,434,552 times
why does everyone want a sports team so much?

living in a town with multiples, all they seem to do is come to you every few years, and ask for a few hundred million to build new stadiums. huge waste of resources to me.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
If you had read the entire conversation, I was providing a list of companies with a "presence" in SA, not necessarily HQed here. And what difference does it make where most of AT&T's customers are? That doesn't even make sense.

And of course Valero's refineries are in Houston. Last I checked, SA was still three hours from the coast.

They are building plants in Denver, so...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Again, you make a hollow point. Lots of companies have operations in Denver because of its centralized location and multitude of direct flights.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Again, you make a hollow point. Lots of companies have operations in Denver because of its centralized location and multitude of direct flights.
What does that have to do with plants being built there?

It's the oil in the Denver area, and it isn't near the coast.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah, so? Even if there wasn't oil, it still wouldn't be unusual for any company to have operations in Denver. How does the fact that they're in Denver because there's a natural resource there, and yet still maintain headquarters in SA, prove any sort of convoluted point you're trying to make?

And hmm, let's see, Toyota built a plant in SA, so by your logic SA must be more important to Toyota than Tokyo. . .

Last edited by oldmanshirt; 01-29-2008 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Hmm, Toyota built a plant in SA, so by your logic SA must be more important to Toyota than Tokyo. . .
But Toyota has plants in Tokyo... And a seaport to ship those cars. Nice try.

Quote:
Yeah, so? Even if there wasn't oil, it still wouldn't be unusual for any company to have operations in Denver. How does the fact that they're in Denver because there's a natural resource there, and yet still maintain headquarters in SA, prove any sort of convoluted point you're trying to make?
You tried to make the excuse of SA not being on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio