U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 12:36 AM

944 posts, read 2,808,220 times

Advertisements

I don't consider Border's and Starbucks to comprise "coffee shop culture" to the same degree that I don't consider Ragu to be marinara sauce. I'm talking about the independently owned and self-conscious locales. Maybe this Cappychino's is what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 AM

790 posts, read 3,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I don't consider Border's and Starbucks to comprise "coffee shop culture" to the same degree that I don't consider Ragu to be marinara sauce. I'm talking about the independently owned and self-conscious locales. Maybe this Cappychino's is what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I enjoy living here in San Antonio. It is what it is. If I wanted to live somewhere that resembles NYC... I would have stayed in NYC, or found somewhere else. I admit that I was a bit disappointed after spending a few months here, but I learned to manage my expectations and accept that some (not all) of my perceived limitations aren't so bad after all. Hope for progress is good, but life still goes on.
As Cowboy and many other posters have stated with various levels of eloquence and understanding... SA is not NYC, Chicago, Miami, LA or any other major metro. Does that mean we don't have ANY aspects of what you might find in those cities? No, it just means you have to look for these elements and enjoy them for what they are as is without constant comparison to "the big city."

With regard to coffeehouse culture in SA, I think if you took the time to look around you would find some absolutely fantastic and unique places like:
Little Aussie Bakery San Antonio Bakery & Cafe - Gluten Free The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe
Ruta Maya/Underground Books Welcome to Ruta Maya Riverwalk Coffee House - San Antonio, Texas
Mad Hatters Madhatters Tea - A Premier San Antonio Restaurant
Casa Chiapas Casa Chiapas - A Unique Coffee House & More ::: San Antonio, TX
Cafe Revolucion Cafe Revolucion in San Antonio, TX - AOL City Guide (http://search.cityguide.aol.com/sanantonio/entertainment/cafe-revolucion/v-123543 - broken link)
Guadalupe Street Coffee MySA.com: Lifestyle | Features (http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/stories/MYSA101706.1P.coffeehouse.1e28c96.html - broken link)
Olmos Perk www.olmosperk.com

This is just a tiny smattering of places I frequent, and certainly there are many many more that I'm not even aware of. The point is, if you want to sit around complaining about how San Antonio sucks, then that is exactly what you will find. If you actually are interested in getting out and living a life full of interesting people and experiences, you will find that San Antonio has many opportunities for that too.

I don't spend all my time complaining that San Antonio is a backwater compared to DC, where I moved from. Instead, I spend my time attending international policy lectures at Trinity (John Abizaid, Tony Blair), meeting with national and international business leaders (Ben Bernanke, Muhamad Yunus), seeing great music (Luna, Casbeers, Gruene Hall)... and yes, enjoying coffeehouse culture at my favorite places. Seek and ye shall find... just get off your #$$ and don't expect life to be delivered to you on a silver platter.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,719,206 times
Bravo! Bravo!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 AM

944 posts, read 2,808,220 times
Yes, excellent post, thank you. I'm still working on it. Thank you for the great suggestions. I'll do my best not to compare these to what I'd find in other places

Old 02-02-2008, 03:46 PM

190 posts, read 166,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
I have found some locals to be easily impressed with some things that for me, are simply just blah. It doesn't mean I'm better-than, it just means that our experiences are different.
I remember someone wrote awhile back that San Antonio was atleast twenty years behind other large US cities and regions and essentially stuck in a timewarp - that what people here think is cutting edge or revolutionary is not at all.

People got angry at this, but I think it's true to some extent. San Antonio is very insular and old-fashioned, however, in dealing with more traveled or wordly people, the often prevalent San Antonio "culture" can be very aggravating.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Obviously never been to the Quarry on a Friday or Saturday night huh? Where both Starbucks and Borders are packed of people enjoying themselves. I lament losing Metropolitain, it was more of a true coffee house heavy on the french influences, but it's owner returned to France. There is also the popular cappychino's in AH on broadway. I really think you would like San Antonio better if you hadn't decided on living outside 410
I certainly have visited both - and what I find is a very interesting crowd of people. Maybe that's why everyone in AH is so snobbish - they're mad that all these "outsiders" are invading their stores and establishments.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,189,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I certainly have visited both - and what I find is a very interesting crowd of people. Maybe that's why everyone in AH is so snobbish - they're mad that all these "outsiders" are invading their stores and establishments.
I totally agree with this. The quarry is nice during the day, but on friday night....it is full of thug hoodlum kids.
The same thing is starting to happen at the Rim....I don't know where all the lowlifes are coming from.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,189,142 times
Quote:
I remember someone wrote awhile back that San Antonio was atleast twenty years behind other large US cities and regions and essentially stuck in a timewarp - that what people here think is cutting edge or revolutionary is not at all.

People got angry at this, but I think it's true to some extent. San Antonio is very insular and old-fashioned, however, in dealing with more traveled or wordly people, the often prevalent San Antonio "culture" can be very aggravating.

I agree with this too. While SA is a good place...it is not the greatest place on Earth....something many locals believe. These are the same people that have never been on an airplane or left the state.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm not going to garner many fans from stating this but I find San Antonio in general to be a very ghetto city. People who take little to no pride in their physical appearance, speak slang, etc. This city is full of that kind of thing, and as I've noticed, it doesn't matter what part of the city you're on, you're going to come across large numbers of people who fit that criteria.

For the Quarry to be regarded as highly as it is, and in such a locally respected area, I have to admit, after seeing the kinds of people who frequent the Borders and that movie theater, I would never go there!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM

107 posts, read 379,213 times
Quote:
For the Quarry to be regarded as highly as it is, and in such a locally respected area, I have to admit, after seeing the kinds of people who frequent the Borders and that movie theater, I would never go there!
I think you'll find some of the most interesting, intelligent people in the world are are the ones not afraid to mix with someone from a different background. However if it's the people at the Quarry that you're worried about, then I worry for you. I tend to think negative behavior begets negative perspectives. Come out for greasy breakfast tacos with me some morning and we can discuss more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio