U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM

454 posts, read 370,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Obviously never been to the Quarry on a Friday or Saturday night huh? Where both Starbucks and Borders are packed of people enjoying themselves. I lament losing Metropolitain, it was more of a true coffee house heavy on the french influences, but it's owner returned to France. There is also the popular cappychino's in AH on broadway. I really think you would like San Antonio better if you hadn't decided on living outside 410

The owner wasn't French, although he lived in France for awhile where he learned his trade. I heard he closed down due to lack of payment of rent...I was surprised. We loved that place. Got our wedding cakes from there - tiramisu and this rasberry/white chocolate concoction. Soooooo good!

I don't really consider Star$ucks or Borders 'cultural' meccas myself, being run of the mill chains, but there are a ton of coffee places in town that are not Starbucks with plenty of "coffee culture." Book stores are less to be found, though the Broadway area has a few.

Check out Ruta Maya or Jupiter (I think that's its name - next to La Frite on S. Alamo). El Sol also does an excellent coffee, but it's not a hang out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM

218 posts, read 246,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I'm not going to garner many fans from stating this but I find San Antonio in general to be a very ghetto city. People who take little to no pride in their physical appearance, speak slang, etc. This city is full of that kind of thing, and as I've noticed, it doesn't matter what part of the city you're on, you're going to come across large numbers of people who fit that criteria.

For the Quarry to be regarded as highly as it is, and in such a locally respected area, I have to admit, after seeing the kinds of people who frequent the Borders and that movie theater, I would never go there!
You currently won't went rave reviews of fans for such negative, narrow minded views. For someone who claims to be worldly or at the very least wants others to view life through a worldly mindset you sure seem to judge people on whatever imaginary world you've made up in your head. I've seen slobs in Chicago, New York, LA and even in Paris. I've seen thuggish looking hoodlums as well. I guess what I am trying to get at is have you actually ever been outside of SA or the state of Texas?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
For some reason the Quarry just became much more attractive to me.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
I'm not going to garner many fans from stating this but I find San Antonio in general to be a very ghetto city. People who take little to no pride in their physical appearance, speak slang, etc. This city is full of that kind of thing, and as I've noticed, it doesn't matter what part of the city you're on, you're going to come across large numbers of people who fit that criteria.
It sounds like you'd be happier in a true college town.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM

470 posts, read 1,789,689 times
In offering an opinion to help balance things out... I know and have met people here in San Antonio who were more progressive, "sophisticated", sharp-dressing, well-spoken... HOWEVER, they were also "shallow", unapproachable, self-centered, and know-it-alls. These are the types of people that ask you a question, not because they want an answer, but because they want an opportunity to tell you what the correct answer is.

There's something called "character"... that is much more relevant than some of the labels we try to shelf people in. I'd rather go have tacos off the roach coach with a poor man who's missing 9 teeth, than someone who's "got it all together", but is like a puzzle in box; complete but not whole.

This concludes today's program.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 AM

790 posts, read 3,615,857 times
Quote:
For the Quarry to be regarded as highly as it is, and in such a locally respected area, I have to admit, after seeing the kinds of people who frequent the Borders and that movie theater, I would never go there!

Let's see... places to avoid... the Quarry. Places to spend entire days on end observing people in order to determine how fat and slovenly they are... HEB.

Ok, got it. Thanks for the San Antonio guidebook tips.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
Latinocowboy, I think it's possible that the more progressive, intellectual, sophisticated people might seem stand-off-ish and therefore shallow to the typical local person that infinity&beyond describes, because the sophisticated or educated person is the anomaly in SA, and it's alienating after a while.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 AM

355 posts, read 1,243,576 times
Quote:

I visit the quarry movie theater and bookstore. i drive an old beat up Chevy, I am probably not the best dressed, and I Live on the southside. I suppose you are talking about people like me. I have to say I think that is an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I go there because its the closest bookstore and of course people like me can actually read. I am also a student at utsa. Infinity, maybe if you took your head out of your ass you would see that some of the people you are judjing arent so bad at all.

Last edited by metalfish; 02-03-2008 at 04:03 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:52 AM

470 posts, read 1,789,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Latinocowboy, I think it's possible that the more progressive, intellectual, sophisticated people might seem stand-off-ish and therefore shallow to the typical local person that infinity&beyond describes, because the sophisticated or educated person is the anomaly in SA, and it's alienating after a while.
True as well. Consequently, we can also alienate others by pushing a sense of exclusivity/elitism in the form of over-generalization.

I don't say this in an argumentative tone or with an agenda to single anyone out. I think there are valid points across the board and everyone's opinion is worthy of consideration. It's just been my experience, having lived most of my life in a real melting pot (NYC), that there are great people at both ends of the class spectrum.

Now, when it comes to communal progression, yes, there can be more definite conclusions drawn. IMHO, what strikes a nerve in folks is not so much the opinion, but the way it in which it is expressed.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 AM

483 posts, read 1,424,164 times
This is why I'm usually skeptical of someone who labels themselves "progressive", because usually that person is not at all interested in "progressing", but rather wants people to "progress" towards their way of thinking.

To those who describe themselves as such on this forum, in what way have you demonstrated tenets of "progressivism" since you moved to SA? I would think that the way of life you espouse would lend itself more to helping others realize a better and more evolved standard of living, and less to sitting around whining about how no one understands you. Yet that's all we hear, day in and day out, is whining. How is this progressive in any way? Do you really think you're the end-all, be-all of humankind? The standard by which others must be judged? Because I could swear that "progressivism" teaches to withhold judgment, and that everyone has something that they can contribute to the world by virtue of being themselves. So which one is it? Are you a true progressive, or are you just a hypocrite who likes to wear the name while not living what you preach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio