U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,606 times

Advertisements

Less Road rage, better drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Oh, good. Before even knowing we were moving to SA, we've visited every year, and year after year we notice the same abandoned buildings, you know? I'm glad to hear they are fixing it up and recycling old buildings.

Sad to say, but the process is extremely slowwww...you'll probably be dead before it's completed.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 PM

141 posts, read 500,531 times
High School indoor track. That would be great

Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 PM

155 posts, read 329,191 times
monorail

Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Oh, good. Before even knowing we were moving to SA, we've visited every year, and year after year we notice the same abandoned buildings, you know? I'm glad to hear they are fixing it up and recycling old buildings.
It's fairly recent. I've said the same around downtown since I moved here. But in the past year, I've seen a number of buildings begin restorations downtown. It's heartening. There's still a very long way to go, but there's progress

One problem is owners refusing to sell and refusing to restore. We have a hideous lot on the corner of our street (commercial property). Great space with lots of promise, but the owner refuses to sell so it's just an abandoned warehouse and weeds...Still, overall, progress is happening

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM

915 posts, read 1,657,860 times
A thriving restaurant scene (chain food does not count) & more/larger public parks with long trails for runners would increase my enjoyment of the city. throw-in a trader joes, some well planned light rail, and rid the state of the draconian 3-tier liquor system and the place is absolute roses!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Light rail

Good, cheap Italian restaurants
Add to this a generally more cosmopolitan feel, especially a wider variety of types of restaurants (fewer chain restaurants too).

More people who value the neighborhoods inside the loop (and by "the loop" I mean 410, not 1604).

Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 AM

68 posts, read 251,677 times
I don't know if anyone else said anything about this...but I worked for BRAUM'S in high school. I remember one thing in my training video vividly...lol

There are NO BRAUM'S anywhere further than a day's drive from the BRAUM'S farm in Tuttle, OK.
This is because EVERYTHING is delivered fresh daily. All milk, bread, produce...everything is fresh, every day...sorry guys.

I miss BRAUM'S...Cappuccino Chunky Chocolate is THE best ice cream EVER!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
So many things. For me, more skyscrapers. Even smaller cities like Raleigh, NC look more metropolitan than we do. I personally don't like flat cities. Also a better public transportation system. I'm sorry but I find VIA highly unreliable. And honestly, more beauty. This is just my opinion of course, but SA only has a few really nice parts of town (i.e. Stone Oak). The others areas are plain looking suburban types neighborhoods with no real character. We are the 7th largest city in the US, and I don't truly understand why we don't take more pride in our appearance.

Okay and the girlie in me has to say better shopping options. I know we're no where near the status of NYC in terms of fashion, but you have the standard chain department stores or retail stores (like Express) and VERY few boutiques and that is all. So you're forced to shop and dress like a lot of other people here. Even Austin has some wonderful boutiques (for the fashionista in me) like Shiki and we really just can't compare.
Totally agree on the beauty part. There is a lot of trash on corners of the city where there are no buildings, buildings look old and like nobody cares. Looks like San Antonians dont take pride on their yards, maintaining flowers, mowing and watering the lawn... I also find people here dont care about their appearance. There are many people who appear to lack an active life as they seem oversized. On the other hand, there are too many many people with tatoos.. what is so cool about them? tatoos on your eyelids, neck, etc. not beautiful at all. I always say there is no reason to show the best of us, both physically and in our relationships with others.

May be all this is a reflection of the eduaction of the population?

By the way, I just moved from California... may be that's why I feel like this?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM

199 posts, read 597,201 times
I don't see how tattoos have anything to do with your point. However I agree with you on the many fat and ugly people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio