Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jgarcia View Post
Totally agree on the beauty part. There is a lot of trash on corners of the city where there are no buildings, buildings look old and like nobody cares. Looks like San Antonians dont take pride on their yards, maintaining flowers, mowing and watering the lawn... I also find people here dont care about their appearance. There are many people who appear to lack an active life as they seem oversized. On the other hand, there are too many many people with tatoos.. what is so cool about them? tatoos on your eyelids, neck, etc. not beautiful at all. I always say there is no reason to show the best of us, both physically and in our relationships with others.

May be all this is a reflection of the eduaction of the population?

By the way, I just moved from California... may be that's why I feel like this?
I think if leave the south side you might see an area where people care.

Drive down Huebner Stone Oak Parkway all the way to Bandera.

The entire Stone Oak area. Most of the North East.

I think the point of the thread is to bring meaningful conversation about what is lacking in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
No need for such a comment. Many South siders take pride in there homes/lawns.

These types of comments/attitudes are quite disappointing.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post

If you would like to compare MOST of the south side to MOST of the north side I'd be glad. I don't mean to offend but I would bet good money on it.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Quote:
I agree with lemonfresh. This was uncalled for.

Quote:
I think the point of the thread is to bring meaningful conversation about what is lacking in the city.
And, in what way was your comment meaningful?

Last edited by HisLilSecret; 02-12-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
I agree with lemonfresh. This was uncalled for.

And, in what way was your comment meaningful?

Did you read the whole comment?

I see you cut a lot out in your quote of me.

The south side is older and less affluent than the north. If a family has more income they have more money to keep the house spruced up.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Did you read the whole comment?

I see you cut a lot out in your quote of me.

The south side is older and less affluent than the north. If a family has more income they have more money to keep the house spruced up.
I cut out what was meaningless to my question (besides anyone can read your entire quote a few posts above), but this still doesn't answer how any part of your comment was meaningful to the original question of "What is SA missing?"

Oh, and having more money doesn't necessarily give someone pride of ownership.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
I cut out what was meaningless to my question (besides anyone can read your entire quote a few posts above), but this still doesn't answer how any part of your comment was meaningful to the original question of "What is SA missing?"

Oh, and having more money doesn't necessarily give someone pride of ownership.
Did I say that? No I said higher income allow people to have more disposal income that can be used to keep up the house.

Review the hole thread and you can find my meaningful posts.

Btw did I not point that poster to a part of San Antonio that people do take "pride of ownership" ?

You nor lemon can come up with a good argument against mine. Face it North San Antonio is newer and better kept up. Not saying it will always be this way but right now it is.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times
Quote:

I don't disagree that by and large lower middle class to lower class neighborhoods are going to have a larger ratio of homes that feature unkempt homes with maintained lawns versus homes that feature landscaped and maintained lawns.

That's not what the statement was conveying and that's not what I was responding to.

To simply state, whether literal or implied, that the south side is void of maintained lawns is false and irresponsible of you as a San Antonian.

The socio-economics of a neighborhood do play a big part of whether a home's lawn/yard is maintained or not. But many a lower-income neighborhood have residents who do care about their yards and maintain them, but there are upper middle class neighborhoods with residents who don't care about their yards either.

It doesn't matter if the neighborhood's on the south side or the north side or the west side or where ever. Playing the north side vs. south side game is disappointing.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Face it North San Antonio is newer and better kept up. Not saying it will always be this way but right now it is.
Then why say it at all. The point I'm trying to make is that these kinds of statements lend nothing to the topic of "What is SA missing?"

Quote:
The socio-economics of a neighborhood do play a big part of whether a home's lawn/yard is maintained or not. But many a lower-income neighborhood have residents who do care about their yards and maintain them, but there are upper middle class neighborhoods with residents who don't care about their yards either.
This is why I used the term "pride of ownership."

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the neighborhood's on the south side or the north side or the west side or where ever. Playing the north side vs. south side game is disappointing.
Sad, isn't it?

I'm done.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM

It is unbelievable.

This has nothing to do with north vs. south is has to do with reality.

These two sides are different in almost every way

income
voting patterns
crime
development
etc.

I'm more of a realist. No where did I say all south side residents don't keep up there lawn nor did I say the it should stay that way or it would stay that way.

Thanks for the input though?

BTW San Antonio needs a better run police department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio