U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 PM

83 posts, read 217,385 times

Advertisements

i am going to go really off topic and i apologize for this but i just cant say nothing. I honestly don't understand peoples fear of people from a lower income. I read a statement explaining ones need to live away from the poor. That statement scares the life out of me. i dont understand ones hatred or whatever may be in their mind, that they feel the need to live in a different location and to be SEGREGATED and to be as far away as possible from the "poor". From the statistics i have seen here on city data's information of san antonio i compared it to Houston and the educational differences arent that different san antonio has some better stats than Houston and vice versa.
To get back on topic instead of what San Antonio is missing I wish i could take away the suburbs that are segregated by economics because imho they just create a culture of fear and ignorance which i believe is evident in SOME of the replies i have seen, also of the most prominent neighborhoods in the city, which i think i could safely say are King Williams, Monte Vista and maybe a few others, i would like to point out that those are all mixed income neighborhoods and all the houses there are beautiful, are not gated away from the rest of the city and create such a sense of community that i believe no one can deny. All in all i think some parts of San Antonio are missing not only the heart but also the wisdom that one earns when being with people from all walks of life and learning that something completely different from you could be your next door neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,413,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbsan View Post
i am going to go really off topic and i apologize for this but i just cant say nothing. I honestly don't understand peoples fear of people from a lower income. I read a statement explaining ones need to live away from the poor. That statement scares the life out of me. i dont understand ones hatred or whatever may be in their mind, that they feel the need to live in a different location and to be SEGREGATED and to be as far away as possible from the "poor". From the statistics i have seen here on city data's information of san antonio i compared it to Houston and the educational differences arent that different san antonio has some better stats than Houston and vice versa.
To get back on topic instead of what San Antonio is missing I wish i could take away the suburbs that are segregated by economics because imho they just create a culture of fear and ignorance which i believe is evident in SOME of the replies i have seen, also of the most prominent neighborhoods in the city, which i think i could safely say are King Williams, Monte Vista and maybe a few others, i would like to point out that those are all mixed income neighborhoods and all the houses there are beautiful, are not gated away from the rest of the city and create such a sense of community that i believe no one can deny. All in all i think some parts of San Antonio are missing not only the heart but also the wisdom that one earns when being with people from all walks of life and learning that something completely different from you could be your next door neighbor.
i would guess many people are associating crime with being poor, so they want to avoid that.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbsan View Post

The economic segregation is one of the great and unique things SA has going for it. Every out of state person I know loves the way the way all the nice things are on the Northside and you don't have to drive through a bad area to go anywhere.
Community? I bet you not one kid that lives in a house over $500K in King william goes to a public school? And I doubt anyone kid that lives in Monte Vista goes to Edison. This is why Alamo Heights will take kids from out of district for a huge tution.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM

83 posts, read 217,385 times
lol i grew up in king william in a house that was safely above the 500k mark you require and i went to public school, and even so they all shop at the same local grocery store, walk the same sidewalks and eat at the same local restaurant's its still a community of all different people.

Last edited by urbsan; 01-26-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,798 times
Panera bread. I know there's one in town now, but not anywhere close to where I am on the West-NW side.

Steak and Shake.

Nebraska Furniture Mart

Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,987,861 times
New major skyscrapers downtown that exceed 50 stories, better access to the East &
West SA on Commerce Stree. More condo home on the near east and west sides.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srahusker View Post
Panera bread. I know there's one in town now, but not anywhere close to where I am on the West-NW side.

Steak and Shake.

Nebraska Furniture Mart
I heard Steak & Shake is coming.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
The Dallas area still has them. They are allover. We go everytime we go home still. Still yummy!

Well, darn, I wish I had known WHERE when I went through last year....
The one I always went to was no longer a Braun's...
but I am glad to hear they are around there somewhere AND I sure wish we had one down here....
very NEAR to where I live.....

Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM

454 posts, read 370,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Community? I bet you not one kid that lives in a house over $500K in King william goes to a public school?
You would lose that bet. The public schools serving KW are very highly rated and well attended by the locals.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM

454 posts, read 370,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
OMG Orange Julius!!! !
They don't serve chili cheese dogs but there's a new slushie place called Bubblehead on S. Presa & Vance/Claudia across from Taco Haven.

They do wonderful fruit drinks. It's run by a Thai couple and they specialize in tropical/Asian drinks. I highly recommend it. Great atmosphere and excellent drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio