U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,189 times

Advertisements

I just found this thread and found it very interesting. One question I have is a Beer Garden the same as a Saloon and if not what is the difference. My long dead grandmother had a picture of a Beer Garden near Fort Sam Houston that my Grandfather would stop at to buy a bucket of beer to bring home. I guess buying beer this way was cheaper than buying it in bottles. If my mom has the picture I will try to post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default Wasn't there an old style shootout?

Downtown San Antonio between Tom Smith and a famous bad guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I've made a study on saloons too. On Main Plaza, starting on the nwc, Jack Harris, Vaudeville Theatre (first in US) from 1872 until burned down in 1886. Replaced by Elite Hotel and Elite Saloon. East side of Main Plaza, Revolving Light Saloon, run by Sam Berliner. One other, get later. South side, Court House in 1880s. West side, San Fernando Cathedral, followed by Silver King Saloon. In the Silver King, Anna Held ( one of Flo Ziegfield's wives) won $25,000 on the roulette wheel while she was in town performing at the Grand Opera House, circa 1880's. On the north side of main Plaza White Elephant opened by Billy Simms and Joe Foster after Jack Harris killed in 1882. Go bback and look at history of vaudeville theatre. I want give link because i don't wan t any more trouble with Trainwreck. Of course most famous saloon was the Buckhorn Saloon on Houston and Soledad, where four cowboys rode their horses into the saloon. Part of the Beitel family boys. More saloons coming...
T

Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I just found this thread and found it very interesting. One question I have is a Beer Garden the same as a Saloon and if not what is the difference. My long dead grandmother had a picture of a Beer Garden near Fort Sam Houston that my Grandfather would stop at to buy a bucket of beer to bring home. I guess buying beer this way was cheaper than buying it in bottles. If my mom has the picture I will try to post it.
Dwangle: I think the beer garten is a German invention. Beer gartens were outside and saloons were inside. If you can get around to the Schultz Beer Garten in Austin, that is a good example. It was built in 1863 and had an outdoor beer garten and a bowling alley next door. they also had a saloon inside with a bar that dates back to the 1860's. I was there in 1963 when they celebrated their 100th anniv. Today it is a sportsbar and an outside beer garten. Note the German spelling of Garten for Garden. It is located between the Capitol and UT.

It is located at 1607 San Jacinto. It looks like they are using Garden instead of Garten. Many of the older establishments were using Garten in their name.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,479 times
This thread is so old but anyway... I'm told that the building at the far right is the White Elephant.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
What could have been the first clue? ;P

Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
At the time of the pic, this would have been the Vaudeville Theater. The White Elephant Saloon was designed by Albert Beckmann and was at Alamo Plaza, not Main Plaza. I'll have to look thru a ton of pics but I might have one of it.

Anybody have any info on the Grey Mule Saloon? I have a not so good pic of it and would like something better and more info.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 PM

15 posts, read 39,358 times
greetings; Sept 6 2012; gy2020, My family has been friend with the keilmans for years and i grew up calling them my aunt and Uncle. I have heard stories about the Keimans Horn Saloon and many exploits of my Uncle and my Dad on eh Keilman place. We visited them at the S. Presa place where he had an old Beer Joint and Cabins for rent and a swimming pool out front on S. Presa across from what was Howell Refinery. I am very interested in what you might have to say. Old man Keilman is still alive and living with family. He must be about 95 by now. I saw him about a year ago.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 7,028 times
My great grandfather, James Madison Dugger (he went by J. M. Dugger) owned a saloon in downtown San Antonio in the 1895-1920 time frame. I don't know the name or location. Does anyone have any information?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Google san antonio j m dugger saloon
There's several hits on him having a saloon around the 1905-1907 years.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,028 times
Thanks TrapperL. I've found and read those links, but none give me more than a confirmation that he had a saloon... but no hints on where or what it was called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or