U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,752 times

Advertisements

Most Northwood residents were confused, thinking that the re-zone was a bad thing towards the end most had flipped and realized that the re-zone was good. We northwooders love our neighborhood, our lawns and our sense of community. Most of us know each other and would never want to live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM

546 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Most Northwood residents were confused, thinking that the re-zone was a bad thing towards the end most had flipped and realized that the re-zone was good. We northwooders love our neighborhood, our lawns and our sense of community. Most of us know each other and would never want to live anywhere else.
I agree, I had to study up on it myself, luckily both sides had websites up that were quite detailed...and yes, Northwood/Oak Park is a wonderful area, my Grandmother lived there for many, many years in her sprawling 1940's Ranch (her backyard was HUGE), and I have fond memories of riding my bike through those ultra-wide streets with all those massive ancient trees. I'm really glad you guys have such an intense hands-on approach to maintaining your "hood."

Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
CONTINUED...

In San Antonio, a major architectural survey has been underway since 2002. The target area for the survey is the original 36 square miles of the City, centered on San Fernando Cathedral. The survey includes photographing and documenting buildings, researching and developing historic contexts, assessing architectural integrity, and determining potential historic districts. Cherise Bell was hired by the City of San Antonio to direct the survey in 2002 with approximately 62,000 resources to be documented. As a presenter at the seminar, Ms. Bell will illustrate the mid-century architecture discovered through the survey.

Providing summary remarks and leading discussion by a panel comprised of the speakers will be Dr. Vincent Canizaro, assistant professor and graduate program coordinator at the University of Texas at San Antonio's College of Architecture. Dr. Canizaro is the author of a soon to be released book titled Architectural Regionalism: Collected Writings on Place, Identity, Modernity, and Tradition to be published by Princeton Architectural Press.

As Mr. Greenberg observes, “If the historical period has passed, and with it the modernist ‘style’, the modernist ethic of expressed structure and honest use of materials remains strong in the teaching and practice of serious architecture, though challenged by current fashions for a historical historicism, theme-park nostalgia and pastiche.”

Mid-twentieth century architecture in San Antonio has come of age. Florence Alcoser, chairman of the Historic Preservation Month Committee, invites us to learn more at the seminar on Friday, February 16, 2007 at 8:30 am at the Witte Museum.

This article was written by our Executive Director, Bruce MacDougal. Florence Alcoser is the chairman of the Historic Preservation Seminar. She also serves on the Board of Directors and other committees.

OMGosh!!! I'm going!!!!! Thank you Googie! great post and info!!!!!

BTW - I love Oak Park and Northwoods....I'd move there in a hot second!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:24 AM

1,151 posts, read 3,099,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
BTW - I love Oak Park and Northwoods....I'd move there in a hot second!
Why don't you? Too expensive?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Why don't you? Too expensive?
PHM.....I just might in the long run. I have a new biz that is less than two years old and the lenders don't like that. I've been in this business for over 20 years, just not self employed. I could get a loan anywhere, but at outrageous interest rates or something that might bite me in the backside later. I'm just being patient a little longer (as the prices increase before my eyes! UGH!) Hopefully in a year I'll be a homeowner!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
PHM.....I just might in the long run. I have a new biz that is less than two years old and the lenders don't like that. I've been in this business for over 20 years, just not self employed. I could get a loan anywhere, but at outrageous interest rates or something that might bite me in the backside later. I'm just being patient a little longer (as the prices increase before my eyes! UGH!) Hopefully in a year I'll be a homeowner!
Gotcha.

My apologies for asking too many questions, but you mentioned price increases. Do you feel real estate prices in SA are rising at a fast pace in general, or just in coveted areas? I ask b/c I'll be in the market for a house in SA in early 08 , and feel that I'll be priced out by then. My concerns are due to my humble budget . . Thanks!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Gotcha.

My apologies for asking too many questions, but you mentioned price increases. Do you feel real estate prices in SA are rising at a fast pace in general, or just in coveted areas? I ask b/c I'll be in the market for a house in SA in early 08 , and feel that I'll be priced out by then. My concerns are due to my humble budget . . Thanks!
No apologies needed. I think these questions help everyone that posts here.
I've been watching the market for several years after moving back here from another Texas city. (SA is my adopted hometown since I've spent the most time here.) I think there is some truth to your statement about escalating prices in coveted areas, while other areas are fluctuating. Do you know how to access Bexar County Tax records? They are public record in Texas. That's a good place to start to look at certain properties and see if their tax valuations have gone up or down or just stayed stagnant. Look very carefully at the improvement (house) versus (land)....lot size/acreage. Don't figure in any exemptions.....just look at the overall values. Sometimes land will increase and the improvement taxes will stay the same. In some cases as in a remodel or added pool, the improvements will jump. Keep in mind, the tax valuations are not listing prices in Bexar county. The listing price only starts with the tax value and then all the other price points are added on......area comps....school districts, age, extras and location. There is no magic percentage that is added to the tax value to get a listing price.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Cool My California home!

OK...I had to look. I located the home I lived in in North Hollywood as a toddler! It was brand new.....1800sq ft, wood floors, mid century modern.
My parents paid $21k for it! It's now worth about $800K! I even saw the up close birds eye view of it and the neighborhood still looks very well maintained! Wow.....hindsight is painful sometime!

There are a number of houses in great neighborhoods that would be similar in style and size that are less than 1/2 of that here. I don't know how anyone in CA can afford to live out there.....or any other area with inflated real estate values. What does the average person do out there to make a living? I'm truly curious.....and clueless!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 PM

63 posts, read 215,586 times
Quote:
OK...I had to look. I located the home I lived in in North Hollywood as a toddler! It was brand new.....1800sq ft, wood floors, mid century modern.
My parents paid $21k for it! It's now worth about $800K! I even saw the up close birds eye view of it and the neighborhood still looks very well maintained! Wow.....hindsight is painful sometime!

There are a number of houses in great neighborhoods that would be similar in style and size that are less than 1/2 of that here. I don't know how anyone in CA can afford to live out there.....or any other area with inflated real estate values. What does the average person do out there to make a living? I'm truly curious.....and clueless!
As a California transplant I can honestly say yes the home prices are inflated but it really is a beautiful place to live. My company relocated me here in August I was pleasantly surprised to see how inexpensive the home prices were here. So much so I didn't have to sell my home in Sacramento. My home is a 1,200 sq ft. home valued at $360,000 the neighboorhood is an area just outside of downtown with beautiful tree lined streets and green grass. Only a 5 mintue commute to downtown. Now let me stop dreaming for a moment (I'm kinda missing home). My brother in-laws home he just sold is near the Sacramento airport 2800 sq ft. gated community with "rivers" (all man made) behind everyones back yard. He purchased for $350,000 four years ago and just sold it for $625,000. My best friend who owns Osaka Sushi purchased his second home just south of Elk Grove a 4800 sq ft. home for $830,000.
I am an operations manager for an Internet Company and he works as the CFO a company that's contracted to build cellular towers for Att&t and a few others. But I've got friends who own homes who work as customer service reps, teachers, restaurant owners, real estate agents you name it. They were all able to buy what they wanted. As a matter of fact another good friend of mine is a call center rep for an Insurance company and his fiance is going through medical school. They bought their 1,800 sq ft. home for $370,000. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. IF you really want something I guess you find a way to make it happen.

Last edited by WarrenFamilyFaith; 02-08-2007 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Bexar County Tax records. Will do. Again, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or