Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,308 times

Advertisements

I am moving to San Antonio within the next year and I am wondering about HOA's I would like above anything to not live in one, but most of the houses that I have looked at are in HOA's. Can anyone tell me of neighborhoods that do not have a homeowner association.

Thanks,

aproper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,822,499 times
Tell your Realtor that HOA's are NOT acceptable to you - they'll find 'em.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM

61,609 posts, read 86,931,655 times
http://www.sanantoniohousehunting.co...th-No-HOA.html
Homes For Sale in San Antonio TX With No HOA

Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,062 times
If you don't want a HOA, make sure you also avoid historic districts as well. Located within the original city limits, these districts have strict standards (reviewed and enforced by the city) on all exterior improvements. I live in one and enjoy the protections it offers, but others may not.

Because they are older neighborhoods, these districts don't have mandatory HOA's, but many realtors don't share those other restrictions with buyers.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,087,789 times
I'm sure there will be a delightful post before the thread progresses much farther to explain at length what a scourge on the human condition HOAs are.

Personally, I'm glad I live in a neighborhood where neighbors care to maintain their property in ways that don't detract from others enjoyment of the neighborhood. I used to live in a non-HOA neighborhood, directly across the narrow street from a neighbor who kept a grubby old boat in his driveway about 50 weeks out of the year. I find it endlessly satisfying to know that I have recourse to prevent that from happening in the neighborhood I live in now.

I know that not all HOAs are good and well-run. I have a coworker whose HOA is run by a guy who collected dozens of proxies from neighbors and installed himself as the sole member of the board of directors of the HOA. Nothing happens without his approval, which often means that nothing happens at all. If I lived there, I'd probably move.

Buying into an HOA neighborhood is like buying a used car. If you're not paying attention to what you're buying into, you could make a regrettable choice.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM

3,435 posts, read 4,448,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'm sure there will be a delightful post before the thread progresses much farther to explain at length what a scourge on the human condition HOAs are.
So someone seeks information specifically about non-HOA neighborhoods and you have to give a pitch for HOA-burdened property? The OP is already aware what a scourge HOAs are - that's why he asked for the location of property specifically not burdened by HOAs.

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad I live in a neighborhood where neighbors care to maintain their property in ways that don't detract from others enjoyment of the neighborhood. I used to live in a non-HOA neighborhood, directly across the narrow street from a neighbor who kept a grubby old boat in his driveway about 50 weeks out of the year. I find it endlessly satisfying to know that I have recourse to prevent that from happening in the neighborhood I live in now.
You have no greater recourse where you are now - you are seeking to have another entity bully the homeowner that offended your aesthetic preferences as to how your neighbors should live. The HOA corporation has no obligation to do so. Having perpetual liens on your property that can never be paid off is not a positive attribute particularly when the lien-holder has zero obligations to the people it demands money from. The HOA is only a liability. Maybe the OP doesn't want to live around people dependent upon having a platform for harassment. Maybe the OP doesn't want to grovel for "permission" to paint his house, put up a fence, or put in a garden.

Quote:
I know that not all HOAs are good and well-run. I have a coworker whose HOA is run by a guy who collected dozens of proxies from neighbors and installed himself as the sole member of the board of directors of the HOA. Nothing happens without his approval, which often means that nothing happens at all. If I lived there, I'd probably move.
What defines "good" and "well-run" when it comes to HOAs? How many foreclosures per year conducted? The amount of money collected from homeowners under threat of foreclosure? That the board sends threatening letters to every homeowner that offends your personal aesthetic preferences?

The "move if you don't like it" is great for real estate agents, not so great for the property owners. You would incur the inconvenience and cost of i) sale of your existing home, ii) purchase of a new home, and iii) moving - all to make the same mistake of buying HOA-burdened property again? Maybe the solution is to not purchase HOA-burdened property again.

Quote:
Buying into an HOA neighborhood is like buying a used car. If you're not paying attention to what you're buying into, you could make a regrettable choice.
Well folks hawking HOAs are as bad as used-car salesmen but HOA-burdened property is far worse than a used car. As the OP is well aware one can avoid the regretful choice of buying HOA-burdened property by purchasing non-HOA property. Perhaps you could direct him to your non-HOA former neighborhood?

Last edited by IC_deLight; 08-24-2015 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,117,453 times
If there's one thing which surprised me about the free-wheeling, gun-toting residents of Texas is their love affair with HOA's. My main beef with them is when they waste money on frivolous stuff, and when one knucklehead becomes the HOA Nazi.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,308 times
What exactly do HOA's do for you in the city? I only know what they do outside city limits in Nebraska. In that HOA the dues are used for street repairs and plowing snow because the neighborhood isn't on the city's route.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 AM

201 posts, read 382,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aproper View Post
What exactly do HOA's do for you in the city? I only know what they do outside city limits in Nebraska. In that HOA the dues are used for street repairs and plowing snow because the neighborhood isn't on the city's route.
San Antonio has a love affair with gated communities. If you live in a gated community, the HOA has to maintain the streets. (90% of the gated communities are keypad entry, so just provide a false sense of security - just follow the last car through the open gate.) Also, it seems that the city decided to stop building public tennis courts and public pools in the newer parts of town. A lot of neighborhoods have pools that are kept up by the HOA. Fewer neighborhoods have a tennis court that is kept up by an HOA. Most neighborhoods will have a common children's play area as well as common area landscaping that will be maintained by the HOA.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM

4,819 posts, read 3,249,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Well folks hawking HOAs are as bad as used-car salesmen but HOA-burdened property is far worse than a used car. As the OP is well aware one can avoid the regretful choice of buying HOA-burdened property by purchasing non-HOA property. Perhaps you could direct him to your non-HOA former neighborhood?
No one buys into an HOA neighborhood by accident. I'm in an HOA now that has reasonable 'rules', and we read and accepted them prior to buying. I've seen others I wouldn't be willing to live with... so wouldn't buy there. If we ever move, I won't have any problem with an HOA whose main goal is to keep the neighborhood 'up' by keeping boats and RVs and tow trucks out of the driveway and yards maintained. I suspect the vast majority of them exist primarily for that purpose. You don't hear about those because nobody complains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio