U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:01 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times

Advertisements

I'll start it off....I admit to the following

Driven a few miles per hour over the posted speed limit
Swerved to avoid animals, possibly creating an unsafe situation (should I have just ran them over?)
Driven while tired
Changed the radio station while driving, thereby taking my eyes off of the road for a second
Stopped a few inches over the line.
Checked out beautiful women in surrounding vehicles

No, I'm not perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,500 times
I remember a past San Antonio drivers thread, and have seen some similar comments in this thread stating basically that a person is perfectly happy driving at or under the speed limit in the left lane of a limited access highway. In the previous thread, there was one person saying they did it deliberately to prevent other drivers from breaking the law. That always struck me as funny seeing as the person making that statement couldn't see the irony that they were actually breaking a law in doing so. Most of I-10 and I-35 have posted signs saying "LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY" and "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". Aside from posted signage, it's also part of the traffic code in Texas, so regardless of signage, if you camp in the left lane, and aren't passing, you are breaking the law.

The only spot on my commute that boggles my mind is the stretch of I-10 west that backs up every afternoon beginning around 4:15 from The RIM to just past Dominion Drive. This is a preventable slow down, and is caused and worsened by the very people seeking to avoid it. Starting at the Camp Bullis Rd. exit, people will exit to the frontage road, then get on at the next on ramp to avoid traffic lights at the 4 way intersections. Then they take the next on ramp and never leave the merge lane taking the immediate next exit, and repeating the process until the on ramp just before Dominion Drive. This is where the slow down occurs. When they reenter the interstate, they don't just merge, they go from the on ramp to the left lane causing a ripple effect of brake lights behind them. Makes me nuts. It is fun when SAPD camps out along the frontage road between the Dominion Drive exit on I-10 and the intersection of the frontage road and Dominion drive. People will go 80mph down that stretch of road and cut people off to get back on highway, or cut in at the 4 way stop to avoid waiting in line. There have been days where there have been 5-6 police vehicles with people pulled over. The Dominion finally got smart and posted signs and traffic cones and occasionally having one their security guards out by the intersection to prevent people from turning right into the Dominion from the WB frontage road and flipping an immediate u-turn to go under I-10 versus waiting in line to make the left turn.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM

386 posts, read 638,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No, but then why is this on SA forum? Same ol' again and again?

and:

Well, some people should adhere to this, because it's the law:

Remember: slower traffic keep right??
Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below).

State "keep right" laws

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic.
The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right.

^^^ This is the law. I think you should get accustomed to it. People like you cause road rage.
Not sure why you quoted me...but rarely do I even go into the left lane except when I am trying to let some that is coming on the ramp to get on.....

I do not like being in the left lane because lots of accidents happen overthere

And I am with the other member who you quoted....getting close to me is not going to make me any faster sorry just pass me I am going the speed limit..

last year a driver didn't yield too me with the sign and there was a trooper right behind me...
guess who he pulled over?

Yesterday...YESTERDAY morning on I-10 coming into San Antonio I look over the the lady passing me and she flips the bird at the driver behind her....they were both going around 80 the driver she flipped the bird at tries to pass her on the right with 18 wheelers up ahead and traffic the driver on the right tried to bump her kid you not I pulled over and slowed down all I thought was were going to have a pile up right here..

PEOPLE need to calm down on the road and drive like sensible adults not like a 17 year old hot headed teen with nothing to lose...

slow down
share the road
let people pass
get off YOUR $%^$%^% phone

<rant over>

Old 10-08-2015, 04:29 PM

386 posts, read 638,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Ok...seems we have 2 perfect drivers so far. Now, let's see how many admit to doing stupid things on the road, such as what has been mentioned in this thread. There should be many more of these, since there are so many complaints. This should be good......
Another one here!!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
OK. 3 people that think they are perfect drivers. 1 (me) admitting to some faults. Where are all of the jackasses that are doing some of the crazy things mentioned on this thread? Surely there's at least a few of you. Afraid to admit it?
Where are the shoulder passers...bird flippers...non-yielding,bumper riding morons?

Old 10-08-2015, 06:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,304,292 times
We're all perfect...it's just you.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
I'm the one who misses the 45 mph limit on the new Wurzbach Parkway.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,084,176 times
And the four Solos and three traffic cruisers sitting, waiting, in the median.....

Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 AM

892 posts, read 1,591,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
This is road rage? Sounds like typical South Texas/SA driving to me where right turns are expected to be made from the shoulder and most people seem to think it's for driving in whenever they want.
It sure can lead to some road rage...

Drivers here have been seriously driving me nuts this past week. A recurring thing that drives me crazy is when we are on access road and it is packed and the one stupid car in front of you decides to stop the whole lane to wait to get on the left lane to turn and is so packed there is no going around him/her. And even with a blasting horn they continue to wait.

Also the other day I was going at a high speed like everyone else and a car from opposing lane turns right in front of me making me brake, now this is normal and ok I don't mind braking a little but no, this car decides to do a U turn at extreme slow speed, stopping then back up and then go, making the other lanes brake so hard smoke came out of one truck. Felt kinda bad as they were elderly but really, they could not just turn in the gas station then come back out?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Love the responses especially slower traffic move to the right lane, like that buys something. I guess I'm a hypermiler and always have been very conscious about my fuel mileage which is why I drive by Scangauge. Depending on where I'm at, I can be speeding or I may be going slower than the posted speed LIMIT, noting that it is a limit, not a requirement. For the most part I drive in the right hand lane regardless. We have morons among us that have no clue what the posted number is and could care less anyway. I have a nephew like that. While the posted LIMIT is 65, there's a lot of folks doing 80 and that's in traffic, no less. So I stay in the right lane. But usually I end up with some clown not just tailgating me, he's so close that in the rear view mirror of my Supercrew, I can't see his front bumper, I can't see his hood, I can't see his windshield. All I see is the top of his car. Then you have the idiots that like to exit from the left lane at the very last second. Makes for an interesting drive in San Antonio's right lanes. So if you wonder why any sane person would drive the speed limit or below and be in the left lane, it's because of the dimwits driving like they stole the car or they think they're the next generation of NASCAR driver who knows better than the rest of the world, makes it dangerous to drive in the right lane. Try it sometime. It'll give ya reason to stain yer fruit of the looms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or