U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:03 PM

69 posts, read 74,812 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed how expensive it is to replace tires even at the Discount stores ? Not only does it seem like the tire prices went up but the service fees as well.

I went to have my tire repaired since it had a nail in it and I don't know if these service attendants are taking acting classes but his expression was priceless when he looked at my tire. Not to mention that but he was very quick to tell me that the tires I had on my car were obsolete and he recommended a much better brand than Goodyear. Yokahama tires are much better and selling at around $220 each, not too bad but when everything was calculated it was a little over $650. He started rambling all kind of fees that didn't sound right.

I asked him can you repair the tire for now ? He said no because he didn't want to be responsible in case anything happened to the car but that he would sell me a tire for the one that was bad. I reminded him that he didn't carry Goodyear and he said he had another attendant check and they still make them. I left knowing that I was being lied to the whole the time.

Can anybody recommend a reputable Tire Center without them trying to trick you into some kind of a deal that actually costs more in the long run ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 03:58 PM

166 posts, read 525,076 times
Go to Walmart! You pick your own tire and you'll already know how much it costs!

Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousive1 View Post
Has anyone noticed how expensive it is to replace tires even at the Discount stores ? Not only does it seem like the tire prices went up but the service fees as well.

I went to have my tire repaired since it had a nail in it and I don't know if these service attendants are taking acting classes but his expression was priceless when he looked at my tire. Not to mention that but he was very quick to tell me that the tires I had on my car were obsolete and he recommended a much better brand than Goodyear. Yokahama tires are much better and selling at around $220 each, not too bad but when everything was calculated it was a little over $650. He started rambling all kind of fees that didn't sound right.

I asked him can you repair the tire for now ? He said no because he didn't want to be responsible in case anything happened to the car but that he would sell me a tire for the one that was bad. I reminded him that he didn't carry Goodyear and he said he had another attendant check and they still make them. I left knowing that I was being lied to the whole the time.

Can anybody recommend a reputable Tire Center without them trying to trick you into some kind of a deal that actually costs more in the long run ?
You dont mention what kind of car and that may affect where to get a good price. At NTB I had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires put on and they were about $160/tire. Installation, tax, fees, and disposal I was about $800 out the door. At the time (last Nov) they were offering 0% interest for 12 mos and I paid them off in 4 mos.

One last thing. Discount Tire will ALWAYS find excuses for you to buy Yokohama.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM

187 posts, read 314,232 times
Quote:
He started rambling all kind of fees that didn't sound right.

One of those fees is most likely road hazard warranty on the tires. You can absolutely insist you don't want it. I have also found they are quick to negotiate the price on the warranty - i.e. 25% for starters. It's where a lot of tire places make their money - so you may find this being added at another place as well.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 PM

905 posts, read 1,355,234 times
Quote:

Also, he's a salesman.

Try...

Shop MICHELIN® Tires San Antonio, TX McAllen, TX Austin, TX | Espino Tire & Wheel

Old 10-05-2015, 07:21 PM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Tires are expensive, even the cheap ones. And those are pretty lousy tires, if you ask me. Because in an effort to save money, tire companies knowingly manufacture tires with design defects. So, when you hear about the sale: buy 4 tires for $100, don't walk away, RUN! Also be careful with places that sell cheap tires, they might be selling you old tires as new ones (the last four digits of the DOT code stamp on a tire indicate when it was made)
Defective Tire Design Facts You Should Know

Why tires cost more is partially explained here:
If tire tariffs are implemented, tire prices will rise again - Modern Tire Dealer

Here is a good tire buying guide:
Best Tire Buying Guide

Recommended places in San Antonio, try those:
http://www.primebuyersreport.org/tx/...ment-shop.html
The Best 10 Tires in San Antonio, TX
also try Costco and Sams
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 PM

898 posts, read 2,272,676 times
I've had great luck with Costco. Fast service and free flat fixes, rotations, etc.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM

443 posts, read 779,781 times
Cheapest price is Sam's Wholesale. Go inside, spot your tires, ask for a printed quote.

Now, take that quote to Discount Tire and they will beat, not match the price.

Only the little tire shack places around town will fix a flat that is near the sidewall.

The thing that really ticks me off now is how Discount Tire refuses to place the new tires purchased in pairs on the front of the vehicle. They cite studies, their legal culpability, but they aren't paying for my tires and if I want them on the front, they should capitulate. I don't care about their studies, I spent my early adult life driving a Dodge Challenger that I aligned myself and fitted with whatever used 15" I could lay my hands on. Blowouts were a regular occurrence and the front tire going was always worse than the rear. Not to mention, bald front tires aren't a good thing in the rain (70% of the braking and cornering is often a necessity).

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
^^^ What do you mean... they refuse? If you want them on the front, you TELL them put the tires on the front. Will that void the warranty of the tires or their work ? No! So, insist to mount the tires where YOU want them to be, even if they think it's NOT safe, and you believe in old myths. (You might have to sign a waiver)
Or take the tires and install them on the front in some shady car garage

I understand their standpoint: if new tires were purchased or installed on the front of the vehicle, the installer of these tires could be legally negligent and responsible for all injuries suffered in such accident.

Here is an explanation you may, or may not agree with:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/when-...s-on-the-rear/
https://goo.gl/QOlO68

Quote:
Now, take that quote to Discount Tire and they will beat, not match the price.
Here is a Discount Tire disclaimer:
We will beat competitors' delivered non-sale regular pricing (sale, clearance & closeout pricing not applicable). The retailer must be an authorized reseller of the product and selling it through their own, non-auction channel. Applies to In-Stock product only. We reserve the right to decline any price match request under our own discretion.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 10-05-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
I don't know how it is now but years ago when I worked for discount tire, we were told not to install two new tires on the front. It made a lot of customers mad too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or