Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:43 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of a girl that was begging for money and offered to give her $5 for fast food and she said, everyone wants to buy me a meal, I need money for a hotel room! Yeah, right! I was forced to talk to her as she stood right in front of my car at the atm at the bank! The nerve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
I totally agree with you. Christmas time I donate to HFH instead of giving useless gifts to folks who don't need or want them. HFH helps these folks out tremendously.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
It's hard to ignore the panhandlers when they are at the gas station and you are either in line or pumping your gas and they approach you.
YES! Pumping gas at a fuel island has to be far and away the #1 place to be approached by panhandlers! There's really nothing you can do while you are standing there in the middle of refueling your vehicle, and the panhandlers know you can't just ignore them in that situation.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
YES! Pumping gas at a fuel island has to be far and away the #1 place to be approached by panhandlers! There's really nothing you can do while you are standing there in the middle of refueling your vehicle, and the panhandlers know you can't just ignore them in that situation.
You can go inside the store and tell the people behind the counter that they have a problem with loitering panhandlers. I've done that.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:34 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I square off on them, look them in the eye and tell them to move back, with no nonsense in my voice OR body language. I've never had them come any closer, and they generally clear the area pretty quickly.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
I usually tell them to give ME some money.

Half of them wear newer shoes than I do.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
This reminds me of a girl that was begging for money and offered to give her $5 for fast food and she said, everyone wants to buy me a meal, I need money for a hotel room! Yeah, right! I was forced to talk to her as she stood right in front of my car at the atm at the bank! The nerve!
"Money for a hotel room"? Is anyone else thinking about what she was to do in that hotel room? ???

Old 10-19-2015, 05:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Don't you mean "hard work pays off tomorrow, laziness pays off today"?
Yeah, that's what I meant. I need to proofread better sometimes It was a funny shirt for a panhandler...I wonder if he wore it on purpose.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:26 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
I went to HEB. A guy approaches with a gas can, he needs money for gas and looks annoyed and aggressive. As TXRedneck says - a polite but firm and alert statement to decline makes him go away.

Then I go the Sprouts a few weeks later - same guy, same pitch. Same result.

Body language and being politely firm works.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Extracted from Nextdoor...

I just spoke to Captain Laura Andersen of SAPD North Patrol. This is what is going on at the Blanco and 1604 shopping centers and she asked me to get the word out. She informed me that SAPD is well aware of the hundreds of aggressive panhandlers in this area. What is happening is these people are from Haven for Hope. Everyday these people are given a free bus ticket to go out and get a job. They ... View more go to either North Star Mall or Blanco and 1604 and panhandle. They are aggressive because she said every penny goes to heroin. Capt Anderson said PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. It is all used for heroin. Some of them are more aggressive and steal your purses or make other demands but they are wanting money for heroin. SAPD arrests them and they are released and they go back to Haven for Hope and get their bus ticket the next day all over again. Capt Anderson has asked me to get this out and to please tell everyone to NOT give them money so they will eventually stop going there. Also, be very careful in that area. There are SAPD SAFFE (San Antonio Fear Free Environment) officers in these areas that are very aware of this problem and doing all they can. We can help by staying alert and not supporting any type of panhandling.
its ALL used for heroine? so captain laura andersen has personal knowledge that every bit of money going to panhandlers in that area is used for drugs, specifically heroine? shouldnt captain laura andersen be worrying about dangerous criminals and not hypothesizing (thats being nice) where the money is being spent?

frickin busybodies and their FUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio