Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM

38 posts, read 59,411 times

Advertisements

We just moved to San Antonio about a month ago and so I'm still learning my way around. I'm trying to stay off of the major freeways for now but do use 281 or part of it as we live out in the Johnson School District.

I found my way to our first mall on Monday. Rolling Oaks. I wasn't too impressed although it was clean and not crowded, it just seemed like it didn't have a lot to offer. I definitely liked the drive though as there was hardly any traffic!

I was wondering what the best malls are around here and which mall would be the closest for me to drive to from the Encino Park/Stone Oak area?

Also, I'm looking for a Ross Dress for Less that isn't too far. The main shopping area I've found out here is in a Target Supercenter area off of TPC parkway and it has a Charming Charlie's which I fell in love with. I'm not looking for anything too expensive. I have two daughter's so we like to find deals but want to be trendy.

Also - any dollar stores in the area?

Best place to find good deals on cowboy boots??

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM

318 posts, read 570,509 times
You already found the Village at Stone Oak, which is a pretty good center. Rolling Oaks mall is definitely not one of the best in the area. For mall shopping, go to either the Shops at La Cantera (at Loop 1604 and I-10 West at La Cantera Parkway), the area's nicest shopping experience and great just to walk around (it's open air), or North Star Mall (on Loop 410 at San Pedro). Also, check out the Alamo Quarry Market on 281 at Basse Road (inside Loop 410). Additionally, The Rim is also at I-10 and La Cantera Parkway and offers big box stores in addition to a few smaller shops. Have fun!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
North Star is a better mall than Rolling Oaks. There's a Ross across 410 from North Star. There's also a Ross at 281 and Henderson Pass.

There's a 99 Cent Only store at Thousand Oaks and Jones Maltsberger (take 281 to Thousand Oaks, turn left on Thousand Oaks and it's probably 4 miles).

Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM

216 posts, read 398,899 times
For the boots go to one of the Cavenders stores there is one across 410 from North Star mall, tons of boot s and I have always found the staff very helpful and friendly. Another place, not as well known perhaps, is Gils Boots they are on Rigsby just inside 410 before you get to WW White rd. They have a large stock of boots on hand and are more willing to negotiate on the price or order what you need if necessary. Both places sell more than boots if you are wanting to start getting ready for the rodeo. Yee Haw. (I just have to throw this in, did you know there is a town off the Florida turnpike between Orlando and Miami called Yee Haw Junction, I thought it was a joke until I went to a rodeo and dance out there)

Not sure about the Johnson school district, did you mean Judson school district.
My daughters favorite place to bargain shop was and is TJ Max she would always go to the one at 281 just South of the airport, underneath that big interchange.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM

318 posts, read 570,509 times
Also, for more unique shopping experiences, try the towns of Boerne and Fredericksburg in the Hill Country - traditional main streets with German heritage.

Also, explore the Broadway corridor in Alamo Heights (near the Alamo Quarry Market I previously mentioned) all the way down to the Pearl Brewery redevelopment - it's still developing, but has a few interesting local shops and you can take a walk along the river from there - also some incredible restaurants (try Il Sogno, Arcade Midtown Kitchen, the Sandbar, etc). The Pearl also has a good Saturday morning farmer's market. Also, there are some unique shops and galleries (and great restaurants) in Southtown as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM

216 posts, read 398,899 times
Add you can shop for those boots at Bill's Westernware here in Boerne as well, it's kinda hard to see on your left when you exit on 87 business just passed Tractor supply and a car wash.
If you like to treasure hunting make sure you go to the Hill Counrty thrift shop that benefits the furry critters in the area it's between Frost bank and Sonic on Hwy.46 at Main

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Closest Ross to you is straight (south) on 281, in the Arbor Park SC, just inside 1604. Closest Dollar Trees are Thousand Oaks/Jones Maltsberger, or Blanco Rd close to 410.

I think the OP means that she lives in the Johnson High School area, which is NEISD...very close to Judson ISD line, though.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
There is also a Marshalls, Steinmart and Kohls in the same general area as the Ross at 281/1604. There is a Ross at the Rim as well and a JC Penney. I've found Macy's runs some good sales. I prefer the Macys at North Star and La Cantera. There is a huge Dollar Tree up San Pedro inside 410 but I prefer the one on West Avenue and Blanco. It's also next to another Marshalls and I feel a little safer there after going to the one on San Pedro and watching a screaming lady getting arrested in the parking lot.

If you have more time to shop you can head past Rolling Oaks and keep on up I35 to San Marcos' Tanger and Prime Outlets. It's about a 45 minute drive from Stone Oak so a little shorter for you. I try and head up a several times each year and stock up. Not everything is outlet prices but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Victoria Secret is. It's about half price for the same quality things they have in the malls. The Vera Bradley outlet runs additional discounts quite often which makes my friends with girls very very happy!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
I second the Outlet malls in San Marcos as big as it is you can spend the day there lol. As others have suggested North Star and La Cantera are good places to go too.

San Marcos Premium Outlets

Tanger Outlets | San Marcos, Texas | Home

The Shops at La Cantera - Outdoor Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in San Antonio, Texas

North Star Mall - Premier Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in San Antonio, Texas

Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,264 times
Boots!!
Red Wing Store on San Pedro inside loop 410. Get the original Pecos!

Everyone is giving you wonderful ideas on this thread. Happy shopping!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio