U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,749,721 times

Advertisements

Just how long does it normally to take to get one???!! I requested one of those green bins on August 29th. It STILL has not come. I called at the end of Oct. and again at the end of Dec. At the end of Dec. they said that their records said that it had been delivered on Dec. 5th, said that it would have been delivered to the front door. It wasn't. I know that for sure because I was home all day waiting for a FedEx delivery. Told her that, she said that she'd notate that and put in a request for another. So today's the day that I'm gonna call again (it's been a month again). Anybody else hafta wait forever for one? I'm gonna need a least a dozen for everything I've collected! ugh

Also - does anybody have the other recycle program - where you have two big cans, one for trash and one for recyclables and they alternate which one gets picked up? If so, how does it seem to be working ~ do most folks participate/cooperate? We're supposed to be getting that pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
IIRC, you can pick up a bin at one of the city's service centers. (Call before making the trip, in case I'm wrong. ) The flat bins may be in short supply now because they're being phased out in favor of the blue recycling carts that can be emptied by the automated arm of the truck. You may want to check to see if your part of town is due to be switched over to automated service (PDF schedule) this year.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM

260 posts, read 1,033,819 times
Sweet - my neighborhood is in the "proposed 2008" region. Can't wait until we have the automated service, and the larger recycle cans!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Also - does anybody have the other recycle program - where you have two big cans, one for trash and one for recyclables and they alternate which one gets picked up? If so, how does it seem to be working ~ do most folks participate/cooperate?
I missed this part of your post. I don't have automated service yet but i've heard from folks who do that the biggest drawback to both of the automated bins is that they don't have a tight seal. That means smells can get out and flies can get in. Some people have had success with using use foam sealant on the gaps in the lid to prevent those issues.

I happened to be at a city council meeting last year where this transition was being discussed at length. An issue that the council members were reporting is that some folks, especially senior citizens living alone, have problems with the cans taking up too much space and being difficult to maneuver to the curb. There is a smaller version of each bin available on request that helps with those issues.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,341,870 times
This is such a coincidence. I just got this blue bin on my front porch with a little note inside that says:
"Automated garbage and recycling collection is coming to your neighborhood. This new solid waste collection system helps us keep your neighborhood clean, minimizes potential worker injuries and improves the delivery of service to you." Then it says the new bins should be here within 10 days.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,749,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
This is such a coincidence. I just got this blue bin on my front porch with a little note inside that says:
"Automated garbage and recycling collection is coming to your neighborhood. This new solid waste collection system helps us keep your neighborhood clean, minimizes potential worker injuries and improves the delivery of service to you." Then it says the new bins should be here within 10 days.
HEH!! Yep, I just went out to meet my daughter at the bus stop, and viola! Same little blue bin!! Maybe I should have posted this thread sooner! LOL!! Guess I don't need to look for the little green box, since I'll have a nice new rolling can soon. Hooray!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 AM

107 posts, read 379,004 times
the green bin took forver for me. after multiple calls and being told it'd already been delivered, I got one at least two months after first requesting. We'll see how it goes in 2009.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM

284 posts, read 942,940 times
I was very disappointed to hear that it was taking a long time for people to get their green recycling bins. Yes, it is true that they are going to be phased out, but my neighborhood is in an area described as "Under Contract" on the Automated Service schedule and others are not due until 2009 and 2010. The people in these areas still need the green bins for a few years!

You can use a cardboard box for your curbside recycling. I use a box when my plastic bin is overflowing. But they always take the box--I hope they are recycling it too!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM

2,330 posts, read 6,270,788 times
The new Black/Blue trash bins work okay for me. They are only picked up once a week on alternating days. For me they pick up my Black bin (trash) on Mondays and my blue bin (recyclables) on Thursday. As far as enforcement... it is enforced. If you attempt to put out your blue on a black day.. they pretty much ignore it.. or vice versa. I am not sure of those families that produce more trash in a week then mine as it is just me and my wife.. For us it works fine..

Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM

218 posts, read 247,876 times
Is it wrong for me to say that I have two green bins? :>)~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio