U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,349,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I've heard A COUPLE people say this on this forum on more than one occasion. But, just a couple. One of them I trust for their balanced perspective. My response: Where in this city are you confronted by an overwhelming military culture? I'm sure the bases are like that, as is USAA. But where else?
When I worked for the city and later the state, the military culture was indeed significant. Many many many of my colleagues were retired military, and a lot of my neighbors are medical military. I wouldn't say this translates into a particularly conservative culture, as it's a mix, and those in my neighborhood tend to be extremely progressive. I have never found it problematic, and in some circumstances in work it was a positive, but the military presence is definitely significant.

The church question hasn't come up much, for the most part. We do get a little of that at my kid's school (public!), and they get far more religious information at their public school than is appropriate, IMO, for a public school, so it's out there. I have friends with kids in public schools in other parts of town and they hear it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I do that too say ma am and sir, and I am also a mom with kids, so that attitude is fine with me, but that wasn't what I was referring to in the military culture of the city in San Antonio. It's really apparent in some of the school districts in the northern most San Antonio near the military bases like Camp Bullis. The rigidity and conformity in the schools there got to the point where central office would bully and harass teachers, therapists, etc if they were deemed "out of step" and the work environment was very march in step or you're going to get a note in your file. Also rules and regulations were military-rigid and we were always in fear of making a mistake to the point where we could hardly function. It's very different in Austin where we can think outside of the box without feeling fearful all the time.
I worked with many many former military and collaborated with current military, and agree there's a certain structure, but fortunately did not have to deal with such rigidity in thinking from the military types. That sounds unfortunate but I have heard others complain of something similar when dealing with retired military in HOAs

What I found more problematic, and this wasn't related to military, was the inability to think beyond San Antonio, or, at the state level, Texas. I frequently came across the attitude that "if it's not from here, we don't want to hear about it." That one may have experience elsewhere, may have done the same project elsewhere and knew the pros and cons, was often not only ignored but disregarded. This refusal to learn from other places' experiences has held us back. The insistence on re-creating the wheel, and making the same mistakes can be frustrating, but I found this at the state as well so it's not just San Antonio. We've seen it in local politics as well - accusations that if someone isn't from here, they have no business running for office. In all the places I've lived in the US, I've never seen this attitude as much as I see it in Texas. It's interesting because with a strong military presence that means there are many people "from somewhere else," so one would expect it to be different, but this attitude is strong. The one pass has been "how it's done in the military" but that doesn't often apply to city planning or community programs.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I'd say about 25% of San Antonio skews conservative, with the rest being a combination of lapsed Catholic, establishment Democratic, and outright progressive.
Because of my work, I've spent quite a bit of time in many parts of the city (places I wouldn't likely go socially), and there are areas where it feels like the Deep South Bible Belt. And then there are areas where it feels like the Castro District of SF.

It's easy to imagine that if someone lives/works in a particular area, their perspective would be really skewed.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:56 AM

And for the OP - we like it well enough. There are not many cities in the US we want to live, but we're happy enough here, for now. We have some bigger issues with Texas as a whole, but we'll tolerate them for the short term ;-)

Old 11-15-2015, 12:59 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,260,934 times
$600 or 625 for an appt. Good luck with that. Apartment rentals have been going up here.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM

810 posts, read 1,245,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Soon Austin will be known for tech and…
This has already happened, like 20 years ago.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,254,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
"Hospitality centered-ness?" Are speaking about the hospitality industry? If so, Austin has a huge hospitality industry and it's growing at an insane rate. I'm sure Austin will pass by San Antonio in regards to the hospitality industry in the next 10 years. Soon Austin will be known for tech and hospitality. Who do you think fill downtown Austin bars/clubs that tourists love so much from Sunday-Wednesday, hospitality folks.
San Antonio's hospitality industry is an almost 15 billion dollar local industry versus Austin's 3.9 billion tourism industry. Austin has a ways to go to catch up to the Alamo City. Clubs, bars and eating establishments can only go so far. Tourists mainly come to San Antonio because of its famous history, its a 300 plus year old city, which makes it unique.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-03-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,721,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's hospitality industry is an almost 15 billion dollar local industry versus Austin's 3.9 billion tourism industry. Austin has a ways to go to catch up to the Alamo City. Clubs, bars and eating establishments can only go so far. Tourists mainly come to San Antonio because of its famous history, its a 300 plus year old city, which makes it unique.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-critical.html

Maybe just a bit less of a gap than you're implying. Nonetheless, it'll be interesting to watch as both Austin and San Antonio compete for precious tourism/hospitality dollars. It could mean a lot in terms of how the cities choose to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or