Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,823 times

Advertisements

I am going to retire in a few years and I am looking for a nice area outside San Antonio to retire.
I am looking for an area with natural beauty and that is not suburbia. I would appreciate your recommendation. I am willing to go upto 50 miles outside the city and have considered New Braunfels
and Kerrville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
How do you feel about traffic? I-35 is a busy interstate highway that runs through the heart of New Braunfels. Kerrville's a few miles off of decidedly less busy I-10.

Do you want acreage or a nice little home in the city? I know a guy who is semi-retired on a few acres in Seguin and loves it there. He commutes a couple of days a week to SA for a part-time job. Seguin got a lot more accessible when the State Highway 130 toll road opened there a couple of years back.

Closer to SA, you might take a look at Helotes. There are several Helotes residents here who seem to like it. It's on the edge of the Texas Hill Country, so it's a bit like Kerrville from a scenery standpoint.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:27 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,377,224 times
Default Agreed,Kerrville,

Kerrvile is more of a scenic area too, than New Braunfels, besides being less congested with traffic.
There is a poster here that moved away to and likes Lytle, Texas.
livingouthereblog will explain a lot about the Lytle,Tx area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
How do you feel about traffic? I-35 is a busy interstate highway that runs through the heart of New Braunfels. Kerrville's a few miles off of decidedly less busy I-10.

Do you want acreage or a nice little home in the city? I know a guy who is semi-retired on a few acres in Seguin and loves it there. He commutes a couple of days a week to SA for a part-time job. Seguin got a lot more accessible when the State Highway 130 toll road opened there a couple of years back.

Closer to SA, you might take a look at Helotes. There are several Helotes residents here who seem to like it. It's on the edge of the Texas Hill Country, so it's a bit like Kerrville from a scenery standpoint.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Kerrvile is more of a scenic area too, than New Braunfels, besides being less congested with traffic.
New Braunfels has the river running through it, though. Landa Park's a real jewel that Kerrville can't match. If the OP likes living near water and touristy areas, New Braunfels would be the way to go.

Maybe the OP should consider Fredericksburg along with Kerrville?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 PM

318 posts, read 568,683 times
I would recommend looking at Kerrville and New Braunfels as the OP already mentioned, and I would also add Boerne and Frederickburg. All these areas have basic services locally along with some nice amenities and are also within 30 minutes to an hour of city amenities.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,362,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
New Braunfels has the river running through it, though. Landa Park's a real jewel that Kerrville can't match. If the OP likes living near water and touristy areas, New Braunfels would be the way to go.

Maybe the OP should consider Fredericksburg along with Kerrville?

Doesn't the Guadalupe River run through Kerrville?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM

705 posts, read 1,756,318 times
Yes, Kerrville has a river and a city park right in the middle of town. IMO Kerrville is more scenic than NB.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
Yes, Kerrville has a river and a city park right in the middle of town. IMO Kerrville is more scenic than NB.
Didn't know that. I've spent more time in NB than Kerrville.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM

7,119 posts, read 11,789,942 times
My folks lived in Kerrville, and we seriously considered buying their place from the estate when they passed.....until we looked into the property taxes and business environment. Their place was almost double the property tax, yet appraised at about what ours did here in NB. They also had some commercial property that I looked into getting to relocate my business there. I got a headache researching just their basic "rules" package....

It's got to be one of the most unfriendly business towns I've ever encountered - and it would have at least doubled my cost of doing business.

I would have to suggest NB or Seguin - perhaps Boerne area. A LOT depends on what you want in terms of amenities/community. NB is growing by leaps and bounds - the new shopping center/mall is adding tenants at an amazing rate, and will soon be larger than the Forum, IMO. Seguin has VERY limited shopping areas, gas averages 5-15 cents/gallon more, and the city itself seems to be frozen in time - which some will like, others won't.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 AM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
My folks lived in Kerrville, and we seriously considered buying their place from the estate when they passed.....until we looked into the property taxes and business environment. Their place was almost double the property tax, yet appraised at about what ours did here in NB. They also had some commercial property that I looked into getting to relocate my business there. I got a headache researching just their basic "rules" package....

It's got to be one of the most unfriendly business towns I've ever encountered - and it would have at least doubled my cost of doing business.

I would have to suggest NB or Seguin - perhaps Boerne area. A LOT depends on what you want in terms of amenities/community. NB is growing by leaps and bounds - the new shopping center/mall is adding tenants at an amazing rate, and will soon be larger than the Forum, IMO. Seguin has VERY limited shopping areas, gas averages 5-15 cents/gallon more, and the city itself seems to be frozen in time - which some will like, others won't.
That is FINALLY about to change...

Seguin has a developer that will be adding the Seguin Town Center which will add about 500.000 sq feet of retail and office structures. If shopping is important to you then I'd go with NB or Boerne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio