U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times

Advertisements

I am not ashamed to speak out, and I have already been through what you are going through in its' entirety, maybe worse. The difference being that I had BC\BS. Nowadays( he is 26) he has my Blue Cross and Medicare and Medicaid. He is 100% mentally disabled. To complicate everything my son was also a member of a boxing gym prior to getting sick with mental illness, was very good at it, and ended up by landing more than a few haymakers and sent a some boys his age to the emergency room. Because he was always so different from others he was picked on,always, however.... These kids were not expecting a frontal assault so severe. Soon all learned that he would mop the floor with these people.( as the cafeteria lady said to me)

I too was threatened with prosecution for the truancy of my kid, the school was not understanding at all about this. They simply did not want him in school at all,wanted to wash their hands of this matter, but it was his right to receive an education under the law,so, they had not a choice in the matter. The story is far, far more involved; I am just communicating what I learned when I went through this difficult time.
Hopefully your son is fundamentally alright, many times treatment can help to entirely resolve this illness, if he is, indeed ill.
Your son needs diagnosis, go to the public mental health clinic. Don't just sit on your hands, call people.
If he is smoking pot or doing something else this complicates matters even further. This is of great urgency,
as though you did not already know this.
Good luck to you and your son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeaire View Post
I didn't post this here to get it solved, it is an epidemic and that people will say go else where for help, uhhhh you going to pay for that? We have no insurance and have no money. This post is my last resort. There has to be someone else out there not ashamed to speak. This will be a civil suit on me, which can cause me to lose my contractor license. Last year the judge would not even look me in the face. She didn't care.
If I am such a negelant father how come my daughter (14) hasn't missed one day of school for over 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM

25 posts, read 39,983 times
Thank you all for your comments. As for insurance we have been working on that. I was not expecting to get such good advice so fast. Thank you

Old 11-20-2015, 02:22 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times
Quote:
I am talking about a parent in trouble (again) because my son won't go to school. You want to google my name go right ahead but how is that helping.
How is it fair when I get him to school, bus stop or my Dad gets him there but still the NISD wants to blame me. I ask for their help, nothing. And for the person that mentioned divorce, NOPE, his Mom, my wife, Died of cancer.
She was a teacher at NISD for over 21 years.

Because NISD is bringing me to court again I am reaching out for help because I plan to fight this one like I wanted to last time.
Since his mom was a teacher for so long, there should be some sort of survivor's benefits from TRS and/or social security benefits for your children until they turn 18. Have you checked into that, in case that would help you afford counseling or psychiatric care for your son, whichever turns out to be necessary?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM

25 posts, read 39,983 times
She died in 2009. Any TRS Care was a joke and still cost money, at the time over 350 / month. With no social security a teachers retirement isnt that great.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM

386 posts, read 638,438 times
BY the way you make it sound seems like it's a little too late to turn his attitude around sorry I am a mentor of young adults and it seems like you just weren't strict with him when he was little....once he becomes 17-18 he will be a handful good luck and god bless.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
Prayers for you and the fact you are trying to deal with your son....kids do not always turn out the way we want to, but do what you can while he is your responsibility.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:49 PM

702 posts, read 608,184 times
I don't get why kids are required to be at school. If someone does not want to be there or to learn is forced to be there they will disrupt everything and cause other students problems.

Of course if they aren't in school they'll be out in the neighborhood causing problems for the public.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:07 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
Quote:
Make sure your child attends school.

Here's how attendance and funding are related: School districts in Texas receive state funding based in part on Average Daily Attendance (ADA) numbers. ADA is a figure that indicates the average number of students who attend a particular school district in a school year. ADA is a key number in a formula that ultimately determines how much money your school gets from the state.

The math

ADA = Sum of Attendance Counts Days of Instruction.

So, if a student misses nine days during the 180-day school year, the district loses 5 percent of the funding a student with perfect attendance would generate.

ADA is not the same as enrollment. Enrollment is the total number of students signed up to attend the school. ADA reflects how often those enrolled students actually go to school.

The bottom line

Your school loses money when your child is absent. At the same time, the school must still pay for teacher and staff salaries, operations, building maintenance, electricity, and all the other expenses involved with running the school.

So there are two good reasons—educational and financial—to aim for a great attendance record.
Funding

Old 12-07-2015, 02:08 PM

5,621 posts, read 6,404,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
I don't get why kids are required to be at school. If someone does not want to be there or to learn is forced to be there they will disrupt everything and cause other students problems.

Of course if they aren't in school they'll be out in the neighborhood causing problems for the public.
The school only wants everyone to be in attendance for the $$$, otherwise they would not care as much as they do now.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM

733 posts, read 863,407 times
Quote:
First off I looked all this up here and else where and it seems like they kind of have us because we don't stand up to our rights or maybe be have none.

My child is defiant, rude, calls me Gil (not dad).

I have video of him going after me with a shovel. Will post link only if allowed.

He can't be made to go to school. But as a parent I have to try and get him there. When he is ready he may go or not because he knows I will be the one in trouble for this.

I tried taking his phone away. It took months for my wounds to heal.

The school also blames me when he skips class, as in 4th or other random times .. I even tried to do the walk through with school, shadow effect. They never approved it last year which I have no idea is to why.

SO why are parents to blame when they drive their kid to school bus stop or directly to school?

Moderator cut: Name Removed, it serves no real purpose.
tough love. simple as that. kid goes after you with a shovel? beat that ass. kid smart mouths to you? slap that mouth. kid skips school and causes you more grief? ship him off to military school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or