Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM

905 posts, read 1,630,532 times

Advertisements

Naw.... You don't need to take him to Laurel Ridge just yet.
Look up Dr. Michael Berler, child Psychologist, specializing in childhood trauma/ PTSD. Your child obviously has inner anger, perhaps (I assume,) from the divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,294 times
Any violence shouldn't be tolerated on ANY level. It's obvious that there is more to the story, so the best thing you can do as a parent is to reach out and get some help involved, especially securing FAMILY therapy (because you and your daughter need to be involved in addressing the issue together), on top of getting a psychological evaluation for your son.

Last edited by Mitochondria; 11-19-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitochondria View Post
[Mod cut: this part was edited by OP]
Any violence shouldn't be tolerated on ANY level. It's obvious that there is more to the story, so the best thing you can do as a parent is to reach out and get some help involved, especially securing FAMILY therapy (because you and your daughter need to be involved in addressing the issue together), on top of getting a psychological evaluation for your son.
[Mod cut: orphaned]
And after doing my own google search I am going to reccomend you push more within NISD....with the family being connected to the district through employment they should know your kids and your family. Also consider reaching out to the Children's Berevement Center for some counseling.

And side note to anyone who is going to jump right to Laurel Ridge, it is a psychiatric hospital and usally requires that the person be a danger to themselves or others (homicidal or suicicidal thoughts) to be admitted. This child, while aggressive and not the best kid, doesn't show any signs of that based on what dad is saying.

Last edited by elnina; 11-19-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,294 times
My best advice to the OP is to edit his name out.

I understand rookie posts seeming suspect, but I'm not here to make waves; I've just been reading up to this point and I'm not new to forums in general. It appears this family needs help beyond this board as others have stated.

Also, I don't mind editing out much of my post if needed. The quoted portion would remain unless it's edited, too

Old 11-19-2015, 06:47 PM

25 posts, read 56,409 times
I didn't post this here to get it solved, it is an epidemic and that people will say go else where for help, uhhhh you going to pay for that? We have no insurance and have no money. This post is my last resort. There has to be someone else out there not ashamed to speak. This will be a civil suit on me, which can cause me to lose my contractor license. Last year the judge would not even look me in the face. She didn't care.
If I am such a negelant father how come my daughter (14) hasn't missed one day of school for over 4 years.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 56,409 times
I am talking about a parent in trouble (again) because my son won't go to school. You want to google my name go right ahead but how is that helping.
How is it fair when I get him to school, bus stop or my Dad gets him there but still the NISD wants to blame me. I ask for their help, nothing. And for the person that mentioned divorce, NOPE, his Mom, my wife, Died of cancer.
She was a teacher at NISD for over 21 years.

Because NISD is bringing me to court again I am reaching out for help because I plan to fight this one like I wanted to last time.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Public Health Clinic,

Your son should qualify for medicaid ins. and even social security disability benefits through you. You must first enroll in medicaid.There is help to be had even for those less fortunate that qualify as mentally ill. I thought perhaps you might not have med. ins. breezeaire.
Research Bexar County pediatric mental health. It is not that difficult. Communicare can help with enrollment.
Don't worry , there is help out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeaire View Post
I didn't post this here to get it solved, it is an epidemic and that people will say go else where for help, uhhhh you going to pay for that? We have no insurance and have no money. This post is my last resort. There has to be someone else out there not ashamed to speak. This will be a civil suit on me, which can cause me to lose my contractor license. Last year the judge would not even look me in the face. She didn't care.
If I am such a negelant father how come my daughter (14) hasn't missed one day of school for over 4 years.

Last edited by huckster; 11-19-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM

FWIW, children's Berevement Center is free. I really think that would be helpful for all of you. It has groups for parents as well. You own a small business, have the kids never had insurance or were they covered under mom's insurance at some point?

I also think it sounds like the OP is getting frustrated with our responses. Without knowing you, and with the majority of the responders having a variety of personal and professional backgrounds, you will get a variety of responses, some you may not agree with.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:43 PM

61,642 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeaire View Post
You can get free evaluation and counseling here:

BCFS
Phone: (210) 832-5000
Address: 1506 Bexar Crossing San Antonio , Texas

Provides free counseling services to eligible youth ages 0 to 17 and their families. Services provided at several locations across San Antonio. Crisis intervention and counseling services are available 24/7 by calling main number, 210-283-5183.

Low cost/sliding scale here:

Benitia Family Center
4650 Eldridge Avenue
San Antonio , Texas 78237
(210) 433-9300

Provides outpatient mental health counseling and therapy. Sliding Fee Scale.

Center For Health Care Services: Child And Adolescent Crisis Services
711 East Josephine
San Antonio , TX 78208
(210) 299-8139

Crisis intervention, face to face crisis screening and assessment, and psychiatric evaluation to Bexar County youth experiencing a psychiatric crisis to restore stability and maintain safety.
Provides screening and assessment per, DSHS guidelines, to determine eligibility for child and adolescent mental health services and does coordination/referral to community resources as appropriate. Develops Aftercare Plans and individualizes recommendations for follow-up services at discharge.
Serves children ages 3-17 with diagnoses of serious emotional disturbances. Services are provided in both clinic and in vivo settings. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is mainly provided to the individual child and may include family counseling.<<<recommended

^^^ Call them ^^^, explain your situation and ask for options. They are well known to be extremely helpful.

Good luck...

Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can get free evaluation and counseling here:

BCFS
Phone: (210) 832-5000
Address: 1506 Bexar Crossing San Antonio , Texas

Provides free counseling services to eligible youth ages 0 to 17 and their families. Services provided at several locations across San Antonio. Crisis intervention and counseling services are available 24/7 by calling main number, 210-283-5183.

Services to At Risk Youth (STAR) | BCFS Programs

Low cost/sliding scale here:

Benitia Family Center
4650 Eldridge Avenue
San Antonio , Texas 78237
(210) 433-9300

Provides outpatient mental health counseling and therapy. Sliding Fee Scale.

Center For Health Care Services: Child And Adolescent Crisis Services
711 East Josephine
San Antonio , TX 78208
(210) 299-8139

Crisis intervention, face to face crisis screening and assessment, and psychiatric evaluation to Bexar County youth experiencing a psychiatric crisis to restore stability and maintain safety.
Provides screening and assessment per, DSHS guidelines, to determine eligibility for child and adolescent mental health services and does coordination/referral to community resources as appropriate. Develops Aftercare Plans and individualizes recommendations for follow-up services at discharge.
Serves children ages 3-17 with diagnoses of serious emotional disturbances. Services are provided in both clinic and in vivo settings. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is mainly provided to the individual child and may include family counseling.<<<recommended

^^^ Call them ^^^, explain your situation and ask for options. They are well known to be extremely helpful.

Good luck...
I added a link the the specific program that assists with counseling at BCFS.

Also check: Family Service Association

There is also Roy MAAS. The Counseling Center | Roy Maas' Youth Alternatives

And http://cbcst.org/what-we-do/grief-counseling/

CFHCS will be a good start to get a diagnosis. If he is diagnosed as being bipolar, depressed or schizoprenic (which I don't see any signs of) they would be able to provide medication, monitoring, therapy and case management. But their guidelines are strict and they only work with those daignoses.

I'm also going to encourage the OP to use the United Way database for even more resources: http://www.211texas.org/ If searching the database is not getting you anywhere you can call them directly and have them do the searching for you at 211.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 11-19-2015 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: added more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio