Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times

Advertisements

You're deflecting. I know I oversimplified, but the point remains valid just the same. These statues should come down, these memorial schools need their names changed.

Doing so does not prevent people from learning about these events in school, or from books, your Grandpappy telling the stories, or the internet. So, the common refrain of, "they're erasing history" is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,776,563 times
There is nothing to deflect on. I get it, you are suggesting I need to learn more about history. I feel the same towards you as well. In the end, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
There is nothing to deflect on. I get it, you are suggesting I need to learn more about history. I feel the same towards you as well. In the end, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
No, you're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

The common excuse for keeping these memorials, is that we need them to learn about history. I'm saying we don't need them. They are far more harmful than good. There are many other ways to learn about history.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Good thinking! These people that want to change history by doing away with remnants from and of the time and acting like it never happened will NEVER let it go. They are probably already planning more hissy fits about something. They will never be happy until their every demand and crusade is won. If you try to make them see the light, they will fight that much harder to ruin everything. They're like bratty children that want attention even if it's bad. It's best to ignore them.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Good thinking! These people that want to change history by doing away with remnants from and of the time and acting like it never happened will NEVER let it go. They are probably already planning more hissy fits about something. They will never be happy until their every demand and crusade is won. If you try to make them see the light, they will fight that much harder to ruin everything. They're like bratty children that want attention even if it's bad. It's best to ignore them.
They are also the same people that try to justify criminal actions based on an upbringing in poverty as a gang member not knowing any other life, but they look back at history with today's context and societal norms.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,244 times
Quote:
These people that want to change history by doing away with remnants from and of the time...

But... it's NOT a "remnant from and of the time". It's just the name of a school built a century later, it's just a statue built decades later - not a historic battlefield. No history was made there, so no history is being changed.

For the record, I disagreed with Nelson Wolff's decision to permanently remove a plaque from the Federal Reserve Bank downtown. The plaque noted that the site once housed the Vance House (a VERY historic house by itself) which had Lee as a frequent guest. The difference, however, is that the site IS part of history. My preference would have been to rework/ reword the plaque.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Give up Montirob, they're convinced they're right. Their great grandchildren will see they were on the wrong side of history, holding onto the racist past like it is a piece of coal they're going to somehow turn into a diamond.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
For the record, I disagreed with Nelson Wolff's decision to permanently remove a plaque from the Federal Reserve Bank downtown. The plaque noted that the site once housed the Vance House (a VERY historic house by itself) which had Lee as a frequent guest. The difference, however, is that the site IS part of history. My preference would have been to rework/ reword the plaque.
Nelson knew better than to ask if the county could rework or reword the plaque. There is no middle ground anymore as he would be screamed and yelled at as being racist for even suggesting that.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 PM

343 posts, read 306,782 times
Quote:
I'm almost certain that people against desegregation in the 50s and 60s made statements similar to this.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Statues are for glorifying and honoring. History is recorded in textbooks, taught in schools, and seen at museums. Remove all Confederate relics of the past or put them in museums. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio