U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM

275 posts, read 136,496 times

Advertisements

I have been looking in Google trying to find a trolley or tour which would go around the Alamo and/or the river walk to show the Christmas lights to the kids. I am probably looking in the wrong places because I couldn't find anything. Is there any tour like that?
Also, I have seen the signs for Santa's Ranch but it seems on the expensive side, is it worth it? Any other places locals know?
We are going to go to the botanical for the Santa picture for members, but if there is any other Santa worth seeing, I am all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 12:45 PM

11,124 posts, read 20,219,434 times
You can take a river barge ride to see the lights on the Riverwalk Rio San Antonio Cruises- River Tours , or just walk. I usually take my kids on a walk down the Riverwalk, not on a Friday or a Saturday night, to see the lights.

There are also horse-drawn carriages that will take you on a tour of downtown, but that's pretty expensive. Blue Bonnet Carriage Co. - Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - San Antonio, TX

Driving through Windcrest is a holiday tradition, some of the light displays are really elaborate but the traffic is bad. I'll usually get the kids a Sonic milkshake and then we'll spend an hour or so driving around, but sometimes that means you can only see a few streets.

The Santa setup at Bass Pro is usually pretty neat. If you can go without your husband, that's usually better because Bass Pro is full of expensive man toys. Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear - Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Boating, Archery and More

The zoo is supposed to have Christmas lights this year. San Antonio Zoo - Zoo Lights If you go, try to park in the regular lot, not the one under the 281 bridge, because that lot is not cool in the dark.

More ideas here: Free holiday events in San Antonio 2015 - San Antonio Mom Blogs

Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can take a river barge ride to see the lights on the Riverwalk Rio San Antonio Cruises- River Tours , or just walk. I usually take my kids on a walk down the Riverwalk, not on a Friday or a Saturday night, to see the lights.

There are also horse-drawn carriages that will take you on a tour of downtown, but that's pretty expensive. Blue Bonnet Carriage Co. - Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - San Antonio, TX

Driving through Windcrest is a holiday tradition, some of the light displays are really elaborate but the traffic is bad. I'll usually get the kids a Sonic milkshake and then we'll spend an hour or so driving around, but sometimes that means you can only see a few streets.

The Santa setup at Bass Pro is usually pretty neat. If you can go without your husband, that's usually better because Bass Pro is full of expensive man toys. Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear - Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Boating, Archery and More

The zoo is supposed to have Christmas lights this year. San Antonio Zoo - Zoo Lights If you go, try to park in the regular lot, not the one under the 281 bridge, because that lot is not cool in the dark.

More ideas here: Free holiday events in San Antonio 2015 - San Antonio Mom Blogs

Thanks! full of good ideas.
We used to drive around were we lived to see holiday's decorations (some people are pretty good at them) but we were afraid of not being able to do that in SA because of the gated communities, but it seems that Windcrest will work!
We are members of the SA zoo as well, it might be fun to have some dinner in the area to wait for sunset and enjoy the lights. I am glad it is not as cold as in Chicago, it was very difficult to enjoy them in the zoo and arboretum with small kids on crazy freezing temperatures

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM

11,124 posts, read 20,219,434 times
I think the zoo is charging about $10 per person for members to see their Christmas lights, or $12 for non-members.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,429,300 times
Main Street in downtown Boerne?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,497,181 times
The university of the incarnate word is all lit up and by the zoo

Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 PM

187 posts, read 313,494 times
Concordia Lutheran Church at Huebner & 1604 has a drive-thru Nativity that is worth checking out. It is this upcoming weekend. I recommend going between 5 & 6, because the wait can sometimes be lengthy after it gets dark:

Concordia Lutheran Church Drive-Thru Nativity

Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,401,473 times
Second the Riverwalk on a barge, and the Concordia Lutheran drive through.

There are also lights north of SA (Blanco Courthouse and Pedernales Electric Co-op).

Here is a link to some others, although it may be outdated. I know that Ed Clark died a few years back, and so the house is no longer an attraction.

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/2014/06/18/10752993/

Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
Concordia Lutheran Church at Huebner & 1604 has a drive-thru Nativity that is worth checking out. It is this upcoming weekend. I recommend going between 5 & 6, because the wait can sometimes be lengthy after it gets dark:

Concordia Lutheran Church Drive-Thru Nativity

Yeah, I have seen the sign when driving by the Church.
We will check it our for sure.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:07 PM

738 posts, read 812,394 times
Those are all good suggestions.Seaworld is also doing a holiday in the park and maybe even Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
I think last year Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels did a christmas thing,.You might Google them an dsee how much it is.Wouldn't mind going to the zoo, for their lights,but the problem is always the parking.They need more parking,less golf course.Schertz is doing Angel Fest I think this Friday night.You can check out the city's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio