U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 01:34 PM

117 posts, read 142,557 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good closing attorney to refer? We are having a new house built but are new in SA and do not know any good attorney or Law firms that could do the closing and provide a good costumer service. By that I mean, organized, not late for the appointment, have all the paperwork ready, wires the money promptly (and to the correct account!) and doesn't rip us off with fees. We had good and bad experience with previous attorneys offices in another state so a referral is what we need.
Otherwise we will have to go with the builder's Title Company, which I know nothing about.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:25 PM

719 posts, read 501,405 times
try Lori Mayer @ First American Title. 210.739.2652 The seller of our house chose this company, but from a buyers point of view, they were fine.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 PM

108 posts, read 84,912 times
Ok this is what I found out about Title Companies. I bought 5 acres. It was undeveloped farm land. I put everything in. Water. Electricity. Ceptic. I got a clear title. Then the Bexar county tax office told me that the property was no longer tax exempt for farming and roiled back the taxes for three years before I owned it. I owed 5000.00 dollars in back taxes on land I never owned. Title Companies won't tell you this and you gotta pay it. I really don't know what a Title Company is good for. Check it out before you buy it. Title Companies are worthless.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:22 PM

426 posts, read 360,218 times
Agreed. I put up a post on here about their easy money business a while ago and drew a lot of flack. The title insurance they sell you is coverage for the risk things they (or their third party contractor) fail to find but really was in the courthouse public records when they looked. Seems if anyone has liability in your case it would be your agent or attorney rather than the title house.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:22 PM

5,621 posts, read 12,956,333 times
Calispers, I would strongly suggest using the builders title company. They generally use the same company for all of their homes and the Title company gives them a break on the fees that YOU are going to pay because the builder is repeat business. If you don't like what you see, don't sign and close- pretty easy. As the buyer, you are the one that is going to pay most of the fees, not the seller. But if you're not comfy with that, use any Title Company in the phone book. I use Alamo and have for decades. Others around are just as good but Alamo keeps the fees down for my customers. If closing is less than 3 weeks away, you're a little late to change now.

Getting a Warranty Deed and Title Insurance. The Title Insurance is good for that day and that day only. All it protects the buyer from is someone coming in after closing and saying they are owed money against a lien on the property. Anything after that is not covered. Look at it as a hash mark in time as of that day. Anything that is recorded before that day will be paid off or there is no Title Insurance. Basically it's nothing more than a financial history of the property and if any liens or claims against the property exist, the seller must clear them or it won't close.

TiredandRetired, if you had seeked resolution via an attorney you could have filed for relief on the previous owner. You could have gotten a judgement if they didn't pay up. For taxes, I believe you could have also garnished wages but that's getting into law which I'm not a lawyer, just well versed in what I've seen over the last 50 years in the business. I believe if it's not been over 2 years from date of discovery, you still can file for the money owed you.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 AM

719 posts, read 501,405 times
Agreed. Because I agreed to use the seller's title company, I got thousands waived off of my fees. My agent was shocked because I told her to ask for them, and she didn't think that they would go it, but they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or