Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:59 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times

Advertisements

Yes, I wonder why that is. If one is going to pose a question (or multiple in this case) at least come back and enlighten us with a follow up, after you receive the answers,even if you don't like/agree with them. It's not so hard.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Coming from NYC (as this person is)- SA would not be considered diversified. Not even close. Several CD posters have lived there (including me)...I'm sure they would agree.

Anyway, I'm getting the feeling that this was a hit-n-run post and this person wont be back.
Agree 1000%...San Antonio is white and Hispanic (Mexican)...and little else in comparison to other major cities.

Will the OP experience racism? I hope not; however, that is no guarantee anywhere you go.

Will the OP find large pockets of black residents? Mainly on the east side.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:46 PM

366 posts, read 492,554 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutesammy01 View Post
Hi i'm considering moving to San Antonio and I have a few questions.
1. Is there a lot of Racism in San Antonio? And what areas are the most racist?
That's hard for me to say because I'm white. I have not noticed a severe amount, but YMMV.

2. Are there any upper class black neighborhoods with good schools?
I do not know of any.

3. Would I feel comfortable living in a wealthy white neighborhood?
I don't even feel comfortable living in a wealthy white neighborhood (and they still don't pick up their dog poop.)

4. What is the night life like in San Antonio?
There are a lot of restaurants and bars. I guess it depends on what you like to do.

5. What options do I have in terms of fun? Anything comparable to NYC?
No way in hell. I am a New Yorker born and bred (Bronx 16 years, Queens 10 years) and San Antonio is extremely limited if you're comparing it to NYC. Not to say it doesn't have anything at all to do but you can do everything offered here in a few months and then you have to wander for fun. It gets boring pretty fast.

6. Is San Antonio a good place to raise children?
Personally I don't think so.

7. How is the nursing field here? Are there a lot of jobs available for RN'S?
I can't speak to this specifically, but healthcare is one of the biggest fields here.
Answers above.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Agree 1000%...San Antonio is white and Hispanic (Mexican)...and little else in comparison to other major cities.

Will the OP experience racism? I hope not; however, that is no guarantee anywhere you go.

Will the OP find large pockets of black residents? Mainly on the east side.

Yes, except here was the question that she asked:

"Are there any upper class black neighborhoods with good schools?"

That's not happening on the East side.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,112,681 times
Why must people assume there is racism here? Coming from NYC, you're going to find people very friendly as a whole. You bring a smile here, and you will get one right back.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 AM

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There have been examples posted here on CD as well.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,962,514 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. There have been examples posted here on CD as well.
With all the national news involving NYC police and race, I'd say San Antonio is looking awesome on the race card.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 AM

I don't think that's even debatable, it's (NYC) bound to (population is like 5x greater and much more diverse) . Pretty sure the OP (which was probably a hit-n-run poster) wanted to see if racism exists here...and it does. It's sad to see.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM

424 posts, read 608,574 times
Quote:
There's racism in every single liveable habitat in this country, on this planet. That is just the human species for you.

"Is there racism?" is a loaded question to begin with.

What the question they're really asking is "Will I be affected negatively, on a daily basis, because of my race?" and the answer is 99% of the time, no.

And for a city and metro this size, that's a very good thing.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:42 AM

424 posts, read 608,574 times
Quote:
I don't think that's even debatable, it's (NYC) bound to (population is like 5x greater and much more diverse) .
New York City is NEW YORK CITY. No city or metro in this country is on its level in any way. So trying to compare to it is beyond stupid. So let's just stop there.

But to make a blanket statement like SA isn't divisifed is just as stupid.

Quote:
Pretty sure the OP (which was probably a hit-n-run poster) wanted to see if racism exists here...and it does. It's sad to see.
Besides the anecdotal evidence on an Internet message board that you seem to 100% believe at face value, what actual racism have to seem or witnessed? Where in the news have you seen legitamite racism reported? Not perceived racism or the race card being use, but genuine racism?

I'll hold my breathe.

Again, racism exists, I'm not denying it, this is a large city and large metro area. Just one perso. Hating a race or races means racism exists.

But that's not the real question or meaning behind "racism" in OP's post or anyone's for that matter.

The only place where racism doesn't exist is where humans don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio