Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM

952 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

We'll be replacing a carpet with ceramic tiles.

There's so many thin-set mortars to choose from at Lowes, which one is recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 02:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You want to use the thinset with the most polymer. If the floor should get flooded from a roof leak, plumbing leak, etc, it's not coming up. A cheap non-poly may not stick. If you are installing a porcelain tile you MUST use a high polymer thinset as porcelain does not want to absorb any of the water from the thinset. If you are having it done, consider installing it in a pattern such as halves or diamond. If you have a large room going to small, consider using an different tile at the doorway like a wood grain tile. If having it installed, the grout line is EXTREMELY important as is the color of grout. Most installers want to use a 1/2" grout line because they can do a sloppy job and it doesn't show up. Consider an 1/8" grout line. Make sure that the slab is CLEAN before installing any tile. I wash all of my floors before installing tile. I use a wet vac to suck up the crap and sometimes it's required that the floor be scrapped wet to remove any paint overspray or texture. Prep is everything as is planning on what you want it to look like.

This is on halves with 1/8" grout line. Note walnut woodgrain at opening. This tile is from Royal Tile and is porcelain. Royal was half the price of Lowes for the same tile

This is a ceramic tile from Mundo Tile. It's installed in a square pattern with 1/8" grout lines.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I did my living room with "add water" kind from Home Depot and it has been great. I did my kitchen with Lowe's pre-mixed (comes in a big tub and is their brand I believe) and that worked really well too.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:02 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
...This is a ceramic tile from Mundo Tile. It's installed in a square pattern with 1/8" grout lines.
Are those pictures of your installation? Those grout lines don't look like 1/8" to me. And not sure I'd recommend anything less than what's in that picture on tiles that large. Larger the tile, the more variation there can be in size among the tiles. It may be a tiny bit, but adds ups quickly. Minimal grout lines (like 1/8) would make it nearly impossible to 'hide' that during installation. I wouldn't consider 1/4" inappropriate for the tile pictured. And anyone using 1/2" for anything other than Saltillo probably shouldn't be in the tile business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio