Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 PM

87 posts, read 422,214 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 30's and moving to Texas from Connecticut. We can either live in Houston or San Antonio. Are needs are: We need a MAJOR international airport close to a nice suburb, would like to buy a nice home on a decent lot (spend up to $900,000) and have good public schools. If we choose Houston we would live in the Woodlands. We know NOTHING about San Antonio.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM

218 posts, read 336,735 times
May I ask why a suburb? As for SA, the Stone Oak area would be your ideal local if your
choice is The Woodlands in Houston.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM

87 posts, read 422,214 times
Default San Antonio vs. Houston

Because we would want a yard.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

218 posts, read 336,735 times
You can get that in the city. And for $900,000 you can get a lot of yard.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:15 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepRN3 View Post
My husband and I are in our early 30's and moving to Texas from Connecticut. We can either live in Houston or San Antonio. Are needs are: We need a MAJOR international airport close to a nice suburb, would like to buy a nice home on a decent lot (spend up to $900,000) and have good public schools. If we choose Houston we would live in the Woodlands. We know NOTHING about San Antonio.

Any help would be appreciated!
If the major airport thing is a hard requirement, Houston will be your choice.... There are quite a few direct flights out of San Antonio, but they are spread over all the different airlines. The only commercial International flights to/from San Antonio are to Mexico. Continental operates a Major hub in Houston, I travel for work and 90% of the time I connect through Houston. Flying from San Antonio adds about two hours (1 hour flight, 30-60 minutes connection time) to the direct travel time from Houston. So if you could live with two hours added each way on your trips San Antonio could be a good choice. The connection wait is rarely more than 60 minutes since Continental runs about 10-12 flights per day SAT-IAH.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
To the OP - as you may be aware, the cost of housing in Texas is about half or even less than in CT. You can live anywhere you want, even on your own 20-acre ranchette, for $900,000. However, you specified that you need to be near a major international airport. While San Antonio's airport is international, and we are steadily adding direct flights, most international flights require a connection through Dallas or Houston, then typically a flight change at your international gateway (if not DFW or IAH).

I would suggest that you look closely at where you'll need to be traveling to and find out which airport (IAH or SAT) has more direct flights. In addition, depending on your current lifestyle, you may want to reconsider living way out in the suburbs. Traffic in Houston is particularly horrendous, and if you choose to live in the Woodlands, you probably will rarely go downtown (which in my opinion is where Houston's real treasures are). San Antonio's traffic is better, but again, in your price range you can find a fabulous house with a beautiful yard and great schools in a closer in neighborhood such as Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, or Olmos Park.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM

44 posts, read 192,088 times
Having grown up in SA and living in Houston for 23 years, I think I can compare the two cities:

1. Although SA is growing and has some traffic hot spots, traffic in Houston is far worse.

2. Houston is much more humid than SA in the summer.

3. Houston is a much more international city than SA. SA still seems to be fairly segregated.

4. Houston is a relatively young city, with most of its growth occurring after WWII. Also, there is NO ZONING in Houston - you can find any type of business right next to a residential area. In addition, neighborhoods/areas can vary widely from street to street or block to block.

5. SA has far more "character" than Houston, IMO. You'll find nothing like the river walk in Houston!

6. Houston has more "culture" - i.e., symphony, nice theaters, etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Houston also has water that tastes like oil (IMHO) and hurricanes to deal with...evacuations are to places LIKE SA.

I am not sure which will meet your needs more, but both of these issues coupled with the above mentioned would make me rethink Houston personally.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM

72 posts, read 290,162 times
I moved from Houston to San Antonio and San Antonio seems tiny compared to Houston. I lived in Kingwood, which is comparable to the Woodlands, and the you can't beat the location for the airport, it is 15 min. away. The Woodlands has terrible traffic compared to Kingwood. San Antonio has grown on me, but I personally still prefer Houston.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:52 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
did they mention the traffic... its the worst in texas houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio