Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
In most cases, there's not much SAPD CAN do about them. Thanks to court findings, much of what these panhandlers are doing is "legal". Beyond there.....ever noticed a field with lots of feedstock in it full of birds, vs one that's heavily hunted - and there's few birds to be seen? Well, the panhandlers are much the same - they're gonna go where the money is. If a given intersection is well-known for soft touches that'll give money, they'll gravitate to it.
Honestly, I've got mixed emotions on the subject. Sometimes, folks fall on hard times, to be sure. But in 99% of the cases, the panhandlers are folks simply unwilling to work a day job that have found a good sob story will make them more money than an honest job. That's why I generally simply ignore them - the few that I've actually thought were being honest about things.......well, when I've offered them work, NOT ONE has taken me up on it. So, yeah - keep on trying because you're getting nothing from me.

Ignore them. There are APPROPRIATE outlets to help people that have fallen on hard times. Salvation Army, Haven For Hope, Church Outreach, etc. are appropriate and ensure money is used to help and not further the problem (alcohol/drugs). If you want to help, give to a charity/shelter and do not encourage people to beg on street corners. It is better for them and you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,373 times
OMG. This guy gave me this same story about 2-3 years ago as I was heading in to Chipotle at 151/410. He was very well dressed, well spoken, former pro baseball player visiting the area. His wife had the car and she had his wallet and was bringing back his wallet when she got in an accident and he needed a ride to get to her. Thankfully this was in broad daylight during lunch hour and I tried to tell him no that I couldn't give him a ride politely several times and he started to get agitated. That's when I started to raise my voice so others could hear and people were staring. He finally walked away and headed toward Target.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:50 PM

108 posts, read 119,557 times
I was at the HEB on Marbach when a woman drove up to me in her late model SUV and asked me for gas money so she could pick up her kid. Why doesn't she trade it in for something with better gas mileage?

Old 01-16-2016, 02:52 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
There was a muslim "family" at the HEB at Stone Oak exit onto 281 today begging for money and when you refused to roll down your window, they played the "you hate muslims and that is why you won't help us" card. Is there an END to this PC BS that has taken over our country???? The momma was hustling, the daddy and two teenager kids just sitting there....FYI, all of them looked like they were WELL fed!

Old 01-16-2016, 03:05 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
There was a muslim "family" at the HEB at Stone Oak exit onto 281 today begging for money and when you refused to roll down your window, they played the "you hate muslims and that is why you won't help us" card. Is there an END to this PC BS that has taken over our country???? The momma was hustling, the daddy and two teenager kids just sitting there....FYI, all of them looked like they were WELL fed!
Seems like their assimilation to our culture is a smashing success!

Last edited by Deep Forest; 01-16-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 03:15 PM

I don't give money to ANYONE soliciting. I DO carry a ton of "McDonald gift cards" that I hand out to beggers at street corners ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS COLD AND WET for 2 reasons.....open 24/7 AND you can fill your belly, get warm and stay dry. (I know, not the most NUTRITIOUS MEAL, but warm and dry and FULL are my goal for those in need) but when the temp is life threatening, that IS something to consider! Alabet, they are only for $10 each, but you can eat a LOT there and keep warm for a LONG time if you spread it out on $10

Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
They exchange them for $5 worth of crack.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
They exchange them for $5 worth of crack.
Please DM me if you EVER have ANYTHING positive to say....otherwise, you are on ignore!

Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
ok The truth can be ugly. They rely on suckers to give. If no one gave, they would move on...which is what I (and many others) hope for. This coming from a hardened New Yorker. Seen plenty of them in my time.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Please DM me if you EVER have ANYTHING positive to say....otherwise, you are on ignore!
I guess the truth hurts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio