Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:52 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,360,474 times

Advertisements

Huh, that's interesting and she's stupid for pulling that stunt. Fire a gun over his head? What the hell for? That bullet has to land somewhere and she'd better hope it's not a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM

514 posts, read 1,438,259 times
Wow, this topic has gotten heated. Let me get some coffee and popcorn for this. Here's my 3 cents , I'm all for ccw or chl (depending on your state) open carry doesn't bother me , don't see a need to do it. I'd rather go unseen .I prefer element of surprise. I'll be honest , I don't really see the need to open carry an ar-15 type rifle. That would give me the creeps. I wouldn't know if you were a psycho heading to your final destination or just a normal dude exercising his/her legal rights to carry

Old 12-28-2015, 09:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,360,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I don't really see the need to open carry an ar-15 type rifle. That would give me the creeps. I wouldn't know if you were a psycho heading to your final destination or just a normal dude exercising his/her legal rights to carry
I agree and what creeps me out is the capacity of the mags which can be from 30 to 100 rounds. I have one 20 round and three 30 round mags for my MP15.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 PM

7,119 posts, read 11,789,942 times
It's not about "need" - it's about the Constitution - which gave us certain rights.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:36 AM

520 posts, read 779,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Huh, that's interesting and she's stupid for pulling that stunt. Fire a gun over his head? What the hell for? That bullet has to land somewhere and she'd better hope it's not a person.
I watched the video when it first came out. My first thought was, if I was one of those dudes wrestling with that guy and some stranger was pointing a gun my way we would be having some words afterward. Second was, did she really just fire in the direction of traffic and businesses and miss? She did not purposefully aim over the target, she did what 99% of inexperienced real world scenario shooters do and lost control of her fine motor skills with the spike of adrenaline and missed, endangering bystanders even if it had been a legal deadly force scenario.

A couple things that maybe someone can clear up for me.

I feel Paka on the brandishing charge if your CH is accidentally exposed. What is the story behind that? I doubt if it was thrown in just to appease the anti-gun minority in the TX legislature.

Why is it suddenly ok to use deadly force because it is dark? You know, when visibility is the lowest and the risk of unintended targets is the greatest? From a safety standpoint, it doesn't make sense. Again, I'm sure there is some story behind it.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 AM

6,693 posts, read 8,742,982 times
It seems like SB 299 passed in 2013 would have protected those that unknowingly exposed their concealed weapons.

Honestly I have never heard of anyone facing charges in Texas for this. If it does happen, it must be rare.

Either way, the OC will fix that issue.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM

432 posts, read 521,299 times
OC fixes it, ONLY if it's in a holster...current CC TX law does not require a holster and does not require a "new OC law" fix.

you are right of course about the existing CC law, you have to intentionally show your gun to be in violation.

I've lived the past 13 years in Atlanta, GA and open carry has been legal forever there. Even in Atlanta. No big deal, and I only saw 3 or 4 OC'ers in all the time I lived there.

And the GA law says nothing about holsters (probably because no one is dumb enough to not use one).

Old 12-31-2015, 05:10 PM

Here are some interesting facts regarding concealed carry/open carry.

Quote:
Among Texas counties, Harris has the most concealed handgun licenses with 30,972. Tarrant follows up with 15,129, Dallas has 12,042 and Bexar has 11,622 licenses
That means less than 1% of the Bexar county population have CHL. (Pop of Bexar is 1.8 million as of 2013)

Quote:
More than 825,000 Texans hold active concealed handgun licenses, which now allow them to carry their handguns openly.
That means roughly 3% in the state of Texas have CHL if the population of Texas stands at 26.96 million.

With the gun culture in Texas being very strong, I would have guessed the percentages to be higher.

Source: 9 things to know about Texas' new open carry law that takes effect on New Year's Day - San Antonio Express-News

Old 12-31-2015, 05:38 PM

443 posts, read 951,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

That means roughly 3% in the state of Texas have CHL if the population of Texas stands at 26.96 million.

With the gun culture in Texas being very strong, I would have guessed the percentages to be higher.
I'm not really surprised. I support gun rights, but see little need to carry a pistol day and night. If I were transporting significant amounts of cash from my business, traveling, or having to go into an area I was unfamiliar with on foot with my family, yes. Otherwise, it's just something else to lug around.

I don't really want to see, or know about your gun, but I guess that's where we are headed. I suppose it's good news for those who do like to carry and discovered that their sweat has corroded their handgun.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Torchy's tacos and Whataburger have also jumped on the OC ban list. Torchy's said they did so due to "overwhelming customer concerns".

Rapscallion: I am with you about the part on not wanting to see your gun, especially long guns. Due to the low percentage of people in Bexar actually having the CHL licenses, I don't expect to see much of it either and I am totally fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio