Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times

Advertisements

OK, and here are some incidences where they saved lives:

Private Citizens stop 16% of mass shootings – Gun Nuts Media

These are FBI stats, so should "comfort" some of you so worried about CHL and open carriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
That is an interesting read Paka. I read the FBI link sourced by the "Gun Nuts Media" article in depth to understand where they got the 16% from.

If you look at the graph provided by FBI...

It shows that in the 17 of the 104 attacker cases (hence the 16%) where the attacks were stopped by private citizens before the police arrived. To break it down further, of the 17 cases, only 3 where stopped by a firearm while the other 14 were "most commonly" physically restrained by the victim. It does not say if the victim(s) were armed in those 14 cases though.

With that being said, the headline should say roughly 3% of mass shootings were stopped by firearms of private citizens, unless they were somewhat used in the other 14 cases but it does not specify so.

Quote from the FBI article below...

Quote:
In the (17) of the cases that ended before the police arrived, the potential victims at the scene stopped the shooter themselves. Most commonly they physically subdued the attacker (14 cases), but 3 cases involved people at the scene shooting the perpetrator to end the attack.
I feel as if I am being painted as totally against guns and I am not. My only real issue is OC of long guns although I am not super crazy of OC of hand guns either. I hope you understand that.

Last edited by Azure110; 01-03-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 7,317 times
I guess I feel if you have to carry a gun in any of the stores you don't need to be carrying one at all. I feel this is going to make matters worse instead of fixing problems.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumndraytonRLTR View Post
I guess I feel if you have to carry a gun in any of the stores you don't need to be carrying one at all. I feel this is going to make matters worse instead of fixing problems.
We've enjoyed CC for 20 years now. One of my favorite shirts says "WARNING - this state allows citizens to carry guns - think before you act." Pretty much sums things up.

And on the OC of long guns......that's been legal for over a century - nothing new there.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 PM

117 posts, read 171,384 times
I conceal carry my long gun but I still don't care about your feelings. Nor does the Constitution.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You were the one making assertions - I simply asked for you to "prove up". Given all your blustering about it, should be a piece of cake for ya. That "example" you cite is an UNLICENSED person.....but you knew that, didn't you?
Azure110 was kind enough to provide an example.
Here's another.
Officials Continue Probing Bar Shooting | NBC 6 South Florida

Also a list of not necessarily accidental shootings by CCL holders where people were killed allegedly unjustly.
http://concealedcarrykillers.org/wp-...otalkilled.pdf

Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 AM

Yes - things like those tick me off......moreso as a law-abiding gun owner than many might think. I'd gladly sit on the jury and convict to the fullest extent of the law if the shootings were unjustified.

Now....let me ask a counter-point. During that same time period, how many unarmed folks were murdered by those illegally carrying a weapon?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
Quote:
Yes - things like those tick me off......moreso as a law-abiding gun owner than many might think. I'd gladly sit on the jury and convict to the fullest extent of the law if the shootings were unjustified.

Now....let me ask a counter-point. During that same time period, how many unarmed folks were murdered by those illegally carrying a weapon?
I don't know, and I'm not willing to research it.
As I said, I'm a CHL holder myself, I believe in it, I'm just not sure all the people who have one, or who are going to take advantage of the new law, whether they have the license or not should be trusted with a gun, let alone carry it around in the public.

I don't know how I would react if circumstances required a response, I'd like to believe my training and generally being of sound mind, having an ability to calm myself in trying times and not being prone to doing stupid stuff would enable me to react in a measured and helpful way.
I'm really not sure how others would react in the same circumstances, I just hope we don't have to find out. Unfortunately history has proven some idiots are unable or unwilling to control themselves. I guess the bonus is if I'm around, hopefully I'm prepared.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:

Can you provide the numbers? I would be interested in knowing.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Can you provide the numbers? I would be interested in knowing.
Since you're so consumed with interest, I'm sure you can dig them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio