U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:13 AM

41 posts, read 52,672 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the ideas and thoughts on going downtown. I think it might be fun but am re-thinking it based on weather reports. Our neighborhood is VERY quiet on New Year's Eve otherwise we'd probably stay home!

Happy New Year to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
HemisFair's celebration is among the biggest in the US.
And it's the 800-pound gorilla of NYE events here. In good weather years, attendance approaches 500,000 people.

OP, there aren't a lot of smaller events precisely because this event is so popular.

Even families like mine, who choose to stay home rather than deal with crowds and traffic, will watch it on TV.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,825 times
Plenty of quiter places in Southtown where you catch the fireworks. Don't know how much a teenager would like hanging out at restaurant/bar.

The downtown fireworks display is pretty impressive, I watch it every year from my rooftop on S Flores.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:40 PM

41 posts, read 52,672 times
Thanks Bo and TXEX06 for your input. I guess we may be watching it on TV this year but hope to make it there in person one year. I've lived here for 15 years and have never gone!

And TEXEX06 - you've got it made!!

Happy New Year's!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM

733 posts, read 863,676 times
anyone been to seaworld for their fireworks show? does it compare to hemisphere park? i went to that one last year(at the park) and it was decent. however since i have season passes to sw, was thinking about hitting them up this year

Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM

892 posts, read 1,591,437 times
We may head to Hemisfair park around 8 p.m., does anyone have any suggestions for parking?

Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Honestly, if I were looking for NYE celebrations bang for buck, I would head downtown right now and park at the city parking high-rise right across from the water dept. building. The forecast was for MUCH colder and MUCH wetter than it is currently, which means that there are lots of folks that made "alternative arrangements" for tonite. Since both the rain and the colder temps have not materialized by now, IF I was in search of a hopping good time, that would get MY vote!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
We may head to Hemisfair park around 8 p.m., does anyone have any suggestions for parking?
We used to just park in the Rivercenter garage and walk over. It's not cheap to park there but we would park on the roof level and then if it was too crowded downtown, we'd go back to the garage and watch the fireworks from there.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:52 PM

1,858 posts, read 816,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Really? HemisFair's celebration is among the biggest in the US.
Is it really? Or was this past one a one off year?
I am not trying to be funny or too dismissive as it was alright enough and well organized with all the stands and even a small stage with music. But I would imagine that every bigger city would have something to that size in their downtown celebrations.
The fireworks however, I apologize but I have to be dismissive about, they where throughly underwhelming, not to say pretty pathetic for a city that size. I was expecting something special, in part because of reading these comments but that was the weakest display of fireworks I have ever seen in a big city. Truly a letdown. Thankfully the rest was alright and the crowd itself were pretty awesome and the atmosphere, too.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Is it really? Or was this past one a one off year?
I am not trying to be funny or too dismissive as it was alright enough and well organized with all the stands and even a small stage with music. But I would imagine that every bigger city would have something to that size in their downtown celebrations.
The fireworks however, I apologize but I have to be dismissive about, they where throughly underwhelming, not to say pretty pathetic for a city that size. I was expecting something special, in part because of reading these comments but that was the weakest display of fireworks I have ever seen in a big city. Truly a letdown. Thankfully the rest was alright and the crowd itself were pretty awesome and the atmosphere, too.
The weather may have had an impact on the crowd. It's been written up in various new sources over the years (not local news sites, national ones).

Also, a significant portion of the park is still under construction, so they may have scaled back (they didn't even do fireworks there for July 4 this past summer).

I think there's a common consensus on the fireworks. Since we live near there we've been seeing NYE and July 4th (and a few others..) fireworks celebrations for years. They had some different types of fireworks, but something was not quite right. Not sure what, something was just off about them (and shorter than usual). Still fabulous, esp. when watching from my cozy living room looking out the window, but I'd agree with you, as have many of my neighbors.

Last edited by Chaka; 01-01-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or