U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Happy holidays!!

Quick background on my issue:
In trying to use the shower in my guest bathroom last night, the handle broke off, of course while some serious water was gushing out. We couldn't turn it off/stop the water, had to call SAWs to turn off house main supply.

We took off the faucet handle/cover, and I thought maybe this is something I can do myself. is it? I don't know. I looked on yt....(seems everyone only has moen?) and I can't get the cartridge to come out, which is where I guess the malfunction is.
What to do??

Key Question is:
Should i just call it a day and call a plumber and have them fix my shower faucet? if so any plumber recommendations that won't rip me off? how much should i expect to pay? hourly?
My guess is its a 'easy/simple' fix -- remove and replace cartridge, (unless they give me a different diagnosis) and turn back back water.

And I don't have the tools to turn the main water back on....if i go the diy route, i know the tool is at HD/lowes, but how much muscle power does it require?

I need help urgently!!

Below is the faucet is all its hard water glory.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 10:08 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,404,313 times
Moen guarantees their faucets, and will send a replacement cartridge for free...of course, that doesn't help you right now

Go to Lowes/HD, get a new cartridge, and attempt it yourself...it *should* pull straight out. Here's a YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Z2KsD706M (There are many, many more...) You can also find out how to turn your water back on (if you have a water softener, there is most likely a shut-off valve installed there, too.)

If you feel you are in over your head, then call a plumber/handyman...should be a 1 hour job for them...

Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM

Pobre,
thanks for the quick response. yes, those are the videos i saw, but mine seems to be just one piece, whereas those in the vids seem to have a plastic/metal looking cover that holds the cartridge in place...

I used a wrench (and pliers) to rotate the white plastic section and it moved abit counter and clockwise but not enough to come loose when i attempted to pull it out...make sense? I read elsewhere that maybe hardwater deposits can make it almost impossible to remove.....i would not be surprised if that's true, we don't have a water softener.

I guess i don't want to spend hours tying to fix and end up calling the plumber anyway. i would like to fix this today if possible.

thanks!

Old 12-30-2015, 10:48 AM

11,125 posts, read 20,239,061 times
It shouldn't be difficult to turn your water back on. Mine is just a lever out in a hole in the ground, no water key required and no muscle power required either.

If you have an ice maker, you may want to have a look in your freezer right now...mine floods when the water gets turned off but I know they don't all do that.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,404,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post
Pobre,
thanks for the quick response. yes, those are the videos i saw, but mine seems to be just one piece, whereas those in the vids seem to have a plastic/metal looking cover that holds the cartridge in place...

I used a wrench (and pliers) to rotate the white plastic section and it moved abit counter and clockwise but not enough to come loose when i attempted to pull it out...make sense? I read elsewhere that maybe hardwater deposits can make it almost impossible to remove.....i would not be surprised if that's true, we don't have a water softener.

I guess i don't want to spend hours tying to fix and end up calling the plumber anyway. i would like to fix this today if possible.

thanks!
Also check the Moen website for tips...I do know the cartridge design has changed slightly over the years. My husband says the customer service number is helpful, too!

Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Oh sorry I guess I didn't explicitly state this earlier, I do NOT have a moen
The handle doesn't even have a name......i'll just get a generic replacement handle at HD i guess....till i'm ready to replace the entire set.

thanks!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 AM

11,125 posts, read 20,239,061 times
If it's hard to remove and you're not confident about doing it, it sounds like you should just call someone to fix it. You don't want to twist the wrong thing and break the pipe off in the wall...that would turn into a much bigger repair.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:50 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,872,096 times
You live in an old Ray Ellison or KB home. The shower valve is a Mixit. Here's how to change it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z71xo4hnFB8

You can do this yourself. Once a new cartridge is installed, look at the water cutoff at the meter. Some have a slotted affair that you can turn back on with pliers. Others have a 5 sides nut looking thing. That requires a water meter key and they can be had at HD or Lowes for about 10 bucks. I'd suggest looking at the meter before looking for the cartridge replacement so you make only one trip to the store.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:07 PM

TrapperL, thanks for the vid! that is actually exactly like mine.
Unfortunately its not coming off!!!! i've used the wrench to turn it and it rotates but isn't budging. Maybe there's something i'm not doing right.

I give up (this time)....my arms hurt and i'm tired. iI've been up since 4 when this whole thing started....i've called a plumber.

thanks to those that responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or