Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times

Advertisements

I'll dig and see who i ordered my mame roms from. 90% percent work. i changed front end software once for ease and they still worked rather easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,689 times
Thank you all for the info, truly appreciated.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 5,689 times

Old 01-10-2016, 02:53 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby01 View Post
Hi, I bought a MAME Arcade machine from Dream Home Arcades with over 20K games on it.
Some of this games don't work, some are duplicated, and some require a complicated way to start the game. I'm looking for someone who can come to my house in San Antonio, TX or take the hard drive and fix all these. Please [mod cut: no personal info. Please contsct per DM] if you know somebody who can help. Thank you!
MAME machines are software piracy, which im sure has no place on this forum. IF you need help with your pirated arcade machine, there are several underground communities that can help you.

Its extremely unlikely you own a physical copy for the 20k games you said were on there...

you DO know that you being in possession of those would constitute felonious theft, right? IANAL but i seriously doubt you have a software license for each of the 20k games on that hard drive.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby01 View Post
I don't know the base system of it, also I totally understand what you are saying about the illegal part of this. What they said is that they don't sell the games, just the system and "help you" downloading the games for you.
It's piracy, either way. Doesn't belong on this forum.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM

314 posts, read 832,486 times
While you are technically correct the mame community has always waited until games have left the main stream before porting them and they have made no effort to stop or even discourage it. There seem to be an unwritten understanding.

That being said I don't think anyone should be selling the machines with the ROMS...If people are making money then the owners may move to end this practice

Singing happy birthday in public was a copyright infringement until recently...

Last edited by AFMike; 01-10-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 12:33 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
MAME machines are software piracy, which im sure has no place on this forum. IF you need help with your pirated arcade machine, there are several underground communities that can help you.

Its extremely unlikely you own a physical copy for the 20k games you said were on there...

you DO know that you being in possession of those would constitute felonious theft, right? IANAL but i seriously doubt you have a software license for each of the 20k games on that hard drive.
There is absolutely nothing illegal about a MAME machine, although having ROMs on that machine CAN be illegal. Several thousand ROMs have come into public domain in the last year, meaning they are no longer protected by copyrights.

While I am as sure as you are that quite a few of the 20k ROMs the OP has on his machine are probably not legal, it isn't accurate to say all MAME machines are illegal, nor is it accurate to say all ROMs are pirated.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
There is absolutely nothing illegal about a MAME machine, although having ROMs on that machine CAN be illegal. Several thousand ROMs have come into public domain in the last year, meaning they are no longer protected by copyrights.

While I am as sure as you are that quite a few of the 20k ROMs the OP has on his machine are probably not legal, it isn't accurate to say all MAME machines are illegal, nor is it accurate to say all ROMs are pirated.
yep, there's a ton of abandonware / freeware out there, but out of 20k roms on a hard drive someone got from a website, chances are its all licensed stuff that s/he doesnt have a copy of / appropriate licence for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio