Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I live in the Southtown area and I find it very walkable. I can walk 1/2 mile up the Riverwalk into downtown and don't have to worry about cars, buses, traffic lights, crosswalks, ect. I can keep walking all the way up to the Pearl and never have to stop for any lights or traffic. Obviously one can walk to plenty of bars, restaurants, art galleries, grocery store, theatres, music venues etc. I could walk to my doctors, dentists, or lawyers office if I would to choose so. I can walk to the Alamo Dome, Fiesta, Maverick Music Festival, Beer Fest, Untapped Festival, and any other festival taking place downtown. How is this unwalkable?

The development of San Pedro Creek will definitely boast the walkability of downtown in 2 years also. San Antonio has made some good strides in the past few years and things will just keep getting better.
Exactly, and it's only going to get even better with Hemisfair which has lots of potential to be the next Pearl but on a larger scale. San Antonio for the most part has a very walkable downtown that has many public spaces, parks, squares, plazas, and arts districts. S.A has a large historical urban footprint that spans from the UTSA Campus area, Cattleman Square and University Hospital District across the CBD to Sunset Station and from River South all the way to River North and into the Pearl area.

Yes, there are a few areas that need some attention and that are neglected but that's with every city. San Pedro Creek will be the catalyst for the West end of downtown. It would have been epic if UIW was still planning to build next to San Pedro Creek but there is an abundance of other projects that once completed will propell our downtown and core to a higher level and help attract more residents and the ever important young professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:20 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
My co-workers in the DC area speak highly of SA as a great place to visit. There seems to be a "cool" vibe to San Antonio now. Moving there, finding a job, etc -- not so much. But that's due more to the area / industry I work in.

All in all, San Antonio is viewed positively, and I think this is due to new developments like The Pearl, Hotel Emma, and the overall improvements to and expansion of the River Walk.

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 01-13-2016 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: more words!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 AM

501 posts, read 776,519 times
Knowing Austin fairly well, and having visited Portlandia ("where young people go to retire") last summer, I can easily say that SA will never have the same "vibe"....and, imho, that's a good thing. For the same token, our city has changed a lot since we arrived (from DFW) in '80 and that's a good thing also. Back then it seemed the entire economy revolved around the military bases and catering to a community largely populated by retirees.
My major question about all the vertical housing being developed in the downtown core is: Where are these folks working? It's my understanding that the growing industries here are mostly near or outside 1604 which would make Pearl/Southtown an unpleasant commute. I can't see many of the hospitality-based jobs that abound the downtown core as paying enough to cover rentals on a Riverwalk apartment.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
My major question about all the vertical housing being developed in the downtown core is: Where are these folks working? It's my understanding that the growing industries here are mostly near or outside 1604 which would make Pearl/Southtown an unpleasant commute. I can't see many of the hospitality-based jobs that abound the downtown core as paying enough to cover rentals on a Riverwalk apartment.
I always thought that entire commute argument a bit overrated. I rather have a bit of a commute and having to content with traffic but be able to live where I want and enjoy as opposed to just live somewhere because it is closer or easier to commute from and to, to work.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
When I worked at USAA, my commute from Southtown to the USAA campus was around 10-15 minutes. Reverse commute FTW!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM

195 posts, read 216,692 times
Having lived in both San Antonio and Austin, I wouldn't say it was "Cooler" in San Antonio, but any city is what you make it. There is a nice live music scene there and like any place, there are trendy neighborhoods, restaurants, clubs etc.
You will find all sorts of people in San Antonio. Cool, not cool and in between. Kinda like Austin, you either love it or you don't.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
I know lots of Southtowners who are physicians, lawyers, in the tech field, business/finance and research. Work locations include the med center, Rackspace, SWRI & Texas Biomed (both on the west side), as well as downtown of course.

Commute is short.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times
Yes, compared to El Paso.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:18 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,305 times
Not exactly...

Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,074 times
Quote:

Architect's offices. Seriously, the large architect firms are located downtown. I just know that in my neighborhood of Monticello Park (not really "downtown", but close), each street seems to have multiple architects living on them.

Downtown, USAA bought an 18 story building and (last year) took over three floors. At an AIA luncheon, a representative from USAA said they had hundreds more applicants to work downtown than they had spots.

A recent San Antonio Business Journal also said that the downtown Class A office vacancy rate was lower than all the other SA areas studied. The article said one reason that offices aren't being built downtown is that the land prices are too high for the rents that could be charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio