U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 13,439 times

Advertisements

I know a lot write about the same, and I apologize, here is another.
I'm 39, truck driver with a wonderful wife and two wonderful daughters 9 and 11 we are tired of the NY winters, and home prices, very expensive and seems a lot smaller than Texas, I know everything is big in Texas lol.
I wonder if anybody could give us advice about good areas to raise a family, I got an app mths ago that maps out crime activities in the state you looking to live. I know crime is everywhere specially in NY and mostly concentrated in the rough areas, but when I looked at SA, I noticed that it seemed to be all over the city, from petty theft, to home robberies etc, does this seem right? I also notice that on some sites like Neighborhood scout, SA rates a 4 out of 100, I find this socking, seems higher than NY.
Aside from that, I wonder if anybody can tell me some decent areas to live with a budget of about 200,000 I'm not looking for million dollar neighborhoods, I mean I wish, but I'm not looking for ghetto either. I know is not a big budget specially for good schools but don't mind getting a fixer upper and little by little doing some work, school for our kids is more important.
I do straight truck mostly not so much tractor trailer experience so can someone also mention the areas in SA were there seems to be the bulk of the truck jobs, factories, warehouses etc... Any idea on the pay?
We are all Spanish so I hear that's a plus not looking to bash on anybody but like I said with two little girl soon to be teenagers, We are looking for an area were we can be safe. My wife and I stop for a weekend since I have family in Mcallen and it seemed ok, lots of Highways didn't have a lot of time to see it all but It also seemed very commercial we couldn't really find that many residential areas, maybe we didn't looked hard enough? We also asked some people if they could point out the areas we should keep away from, we had a little map from the car rental, they drew a line across the middle and said stay away from the South side, you should be ok in the North, found that comical but wondering if it seems right.
We are also considering Fort Worth-Dallas area but I have my doubts specially because of the bad weather again any thoughts?
I Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM

6,113 posts, read 8,567,423 times
Have you read this yet? http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 20,092 times
So, as far as San Antonio, the "stay North" advice probably stands somewhat true and your budget is enough to afford that! I'd look into the NE side of the town, personally. $200k can get you a nice home and decent schools there, depending on where exactly you look. And there are relatively few sketchy patches there, in my opinion. I've lived there for some time now and have never felt unsafe. Especially so, if you stay north of Walzem (except the area between Walzem and Montgomery.).

Old 01-11-2016, 11:07 PM

5,620 posts, read 12,862,125 times
I'd suggest renting first and then consider where you want to live permanently. You might find a job on the other side of the county and the commute can take hours. As far as crime goes, it happens no matter where you move. My sister lives in the Sonterra area which by this group is the Holy Grail of living. She lives in a gated community. Two years ago a group followed a car thru the gate and then proceeded to shoot two of the folks in the car and then robbed them. As usual, nobody saw anything so don't take the crime reports too seriously. It happens just about everywhere here.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,540,716 times
^^^^ What they said. Rent first and read the relocation sticky.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 AM

520 posts, read 598,475 times
A few years ago the Eagle Ford shale play drew a lot of CDLs from other employers in the city. I know Northside ISD is still feeling the pinch of not enough bus drivers because of it (that, and low pay IMHO). I'm not sure if this is still so much the case with oil prices where they are but you probably won't find any shortage to job opportunities. Just do not expect them pay anywhere near the range of NY rates.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,174,863 times
You'll love San Antonio. I would look in the 78217, 78213 and 78218 zipcodes and around there. There are older, established neighborhoods that will be just fine. Plus, you'll feel like you're in the city and not out in the burbs.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM

11,124 posts, read 20,225,810 times
200K is a big enough budget for a house here. Just keep in mind that you may not make as much here as you did in NY.

Everybody recommends the north side to people who are just moving here, but there's no reason to limit yourself to the north side.

I live on the far west side. Houses are a little cheaper out this way, traffic is bad right now because of the construction but it shouldn't stay bad forever. I have a lot of neighbors whose husbands work in the oilfields, but some of them have been saying there's not as much work as there used to be.

As far as being Hispanic and fitting in, the elementary schools in my neighborhood are 85% Hispanic, which gives you an idea of the makeup of the neighborhood. In my part of town, you'll see billboards in Spanish and sometimes the cashiers only speak Spanish, depending on what store you go to.

Crime...most of the crime we hear about is property crime, houses or vehicles getting broken into, or wheels being stolen off vehicles. When I lived on the north side, my apartment got broken into twice and my car got broken into a couple of times, my doormats would always get taken and so would my potted plants. Where I live now, someone has tried to get into the house once but didn't get in, and one time I left my truck unlocked and someone went through the papers in the glove compartment. I can leave potted plants and decorations in my yard and no one steals them.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM

738 posts, read 812,883 times
I work for Schertz Cibolo ISD which is east of San Antonio.We are looking for bus drivers,custodians and food service workers.
There are quite a number of businesses out in this area looking for people to work in warehouse ,driveetc.Sysco has a big warehouse off of IH35 and Schwab road out here. On Lookout Rd.There's anew warehouse that's up .I think its being built by Auto Zone. We also have Amazon distribution center ,,,,,, Keebler's etc.out here. Not sure on house prices and there are new apartments out here as well. For kids we have a YMCA,library and the city is building a new natatorium.Plus the city park has a pool. You can look up the school district. There are various programs at the schools for kids. Lots of people like going to see Steele High School play. We just built the new Cibolo Valley. We have H.E.B. Plus here in town as well as Walmart.They are going to open this month the new Walmart in Cibolo. There's Lowe's and Home Depot Target, etc. out here as well. The mix around here is white and hispanic. There are more black people here than years ago but not a lot of asians.
The area is growing so much that my parish Good Shepherd is planning on building a new church in the future.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 13,439 times
I want to thank everybody for all the great responds, can't thank you enough and yes I have read the Moving to SA but nothing like the input of different individuals living there. I have done and still am doing HW on the area it all seems good BUT maybe is just me I do see or hear a lot of robberies, theft, specially on the Spotcrime report, even from previous months, it seems that people from SA are used to home robberies, or maybe not used to but seem to be more of a common thing like Hedgehog_mom mentioned am I wrong for thinking like this? are people exaggerating on crime being all over the SA area? I know someone my think well don't come to SA or NY is worst, not looking to start an argument but like I mention 3 women to look after, I just wonder if people in SA look at things like this like common things and not worrisome. If someone is wondering, knock on wood, never been burglarized in NY b4, lived here over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio