Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 24,621 times

Advertisements

Seriously, you do! I have seen a lot of posts asking the same questions and you guys just keep on answering them the best that you can! We new people really appreciate all your responses and help.

But I have a new question...I think it's new...I haven't seen a post about this recently anyways.

I'm a single mom thinking about moving to SA. What's the singles scene like? Not the young single scene but maybe for us with a little more experience? I'm divorced with 2 kids and in my early 30's. What are the chances of finding a good guy there? Cuz there are no single ones left where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lost1 View Post
Seriously, you do! I have seen a lot of posts asking the same questions and you guys just keep on answering them the best that you can! We new people really appreciate all your responses and help.

But I have a new question...I think it's new...I haven't seen a post about this recently anyways.

I'm a single mom thinking about moving to SA. What's the singles scene like? Not the young single scene but maybe for us with a little more experience? I'm divorced with 2 kids and in my early 30's. What are the chances of finding a good guy there? Cuz there are no single ones left where I am.
You're so sweet.
As for the single scene, don't know (THANK GOD!!!!!!). Lordy I would not last one minute. Besides, one man is enough for this gal.
But I'm just gonna warn ya. There is a single guy that just relocated to SA from the Big D area. Left and moved to SA after his girlfriend (divorced mom of 2 that I'm good friends with) told him it was over. He got a little freaky on her and it was kinda creepy so just beware if you run into some guy that just moved there from around the D and had a recent gf w/ two kids.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
I know people will get upset with me as they have before, but people who are not from SA are better qualified to handle some questions because they have been in a similar position to those who are asking for the advice. SA is not at all a singles town. I imagine that some will write to say how wonderful and welcoming this place is to singles (probably the same ones that have previously said that SA is primarily family-oriented). All but one of the single female professors I work with, who moved here from out of state, have left primarily for this reason. Single people tend not to move here unless they are coming for family reasons (parents, cousins, nieces and nephews, etc). Married people move here for the cheaper housing, and they don't mind disappearing into the depths of Costco suburbs. Among my native friends who are single, they are only here because of extended family. Also, your odds for finding the love here depend on what you are looking for in a mate. This is not a white-collar culture by any means, if that matters to you. If I can be so blunt, a single physician or lawyer (for example) with a promising career in front of him/her who has no family attachments in SA is not going to point at the map and blindly move to SA, though some may do it temporarily if it will help them to land somewhere better. I'm sure some will argue that point, but you can check the Sperlings Best Places book for the median income here. I know this is negative, but it's just my experience, and that of many of my former single colleagues who fled this town.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
I have to disagree with hello13685.

The reason for that is I am a single male (29) living in San Antonio (out of town right now) who has had more than enough success. I've lived in Houston, LA, Denver and Coral Gables (Miami) and the only city I'd say had a better singles scene would be surprisingly, Denver.

The city is a white-collar culture. I'm not sure what your definition is for "white-collar culture" but San Antonio does have it.

Also, as for your assumption that a single physician or lawyer with a promising career wouldn't move here, that's wrong. Just ask my pal Tommy (Thomas) who moved here 3 years ago from Chicago at 27, he's a lawyer. Also, who moves from city to city "blindly"?

Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,459 times
I myself am married but work with plenty of singles who have plenty of stories on Monday trust me. It depends on the places you go. You have to be in the know.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
I also disagree with Hello. I happened to be married but have loads of 30+ single friends and they all have no problem finding people to date. My counsin has two kids and is single and no problem for her getting a date once she finally moved to the area (from the DC area) Have a lot of friends that manage bars and clubs from little to big and they are always telling me the lastest going ons. If you like SA all round I think it might be a good fit for ya.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 30,604 times
I agree with neddy,sa greed,insomniac..they are all right.. and i dissagree with hello...theres tons of single people in s.a. its a big town with lots of singles.. just like anywhere else.. u just gatta find them ..

Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
My brother is moving here and he's single!

Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
Hi again,

All of my San Antonio-loving colleagues and friends agree with me that SA is much more of a family town. But then all of my colleagues moved here from outside of Texas, so they have a different perspective than many posters here. Just do external research (read stats and other published sources) on the kind of culture that a city embodies and you will make the best decision for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: