Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

Hello every one. I have been in San Antonio only a few years and I am trying to convince my son and daughter in law to move out here. My son and I are white and his beautiful new bride is black. She is concerned about racism here because of the recent pool party incident in McKinney. I tried to reassure her that San Antonio was not like that when she brought up a very good point. She said "Momma, your white, how would you know?" Wow... OK, so can I get some real heartfelt responses from the black community? I would like to know your perspective on this. I don't want her to come out if she is going to feel discriminated against or unsafe in any way. Your help on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 03:43 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,436,960 times
We just elected our first female black mayor, in a city that is overwhelmingly Hispanic/Anglo. I think that literally says it all.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Where does she live now? Does she say she experiences a lot of racism there? Does she know McKinney is about 300 miles give or take from San Antonio?

Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM

520 posts, read 781,486 times
It's a military city so a lot of mixed couples. I'm white, my wife is black, we live on the Far West Side outside 1604 off Potranco and spend a fair amount of time in Castroville. My wife grew up on the East Side, was stationed in Georgia and the first time someone called her the N bomb was in Tucson in her mid-20s. The closest thing to racism either of us have experienced here was an old white lady at Walmart making a food stamp comment to her husband about my wife's grocery cart in Walmart while standing in line during the peak of the 'entitlements' meme of the 2012 election, and that's it. Old folk from a different era and set in their ways, swallowing whatever conservative news tells them - I call it ignorance maybe bigotry, not really racism.

Occassionally on our travels to smaller towns around South Texas we'll notice looks - can't say I've ever seen openly hostile ones, but we are also the smallest minority of married couples, plus she's hot and I'm not...so it could be that :-P

Now that isn't to say that there aren't more homogeneous pockets around town where it might occur, we just haven't experienced it yet.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 PM

905 posts, read 1,630,363 times
I'd worry about the Hispanics hitting on your son's wife!!!!

Why does so much lately have to be about race???

San Antonio is such a diverse culture..

Ignorance is what kills the mind..........

Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM

905 posts, read 1,630,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
I'd worry about the Hispanics hitting on your son's wife!!!!

Why does so much lately have to be about race???

San Antonio is such a diverse culture..

Ignorance is what kills the mind..........

Of course I meant that as a sarcastic comment.....

Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 AM

201 posts, read 279,602 times
Mixed with black and white here, 30 years young, entire time spent in San Antonio. I've never experienced any racism. There aren't many black people relative to other cities but there is enough diversity to make it comfortable. There's truly nothing to worry about.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,061,893 times
Friends have experienced some ugly racism here in SA. White husband with black wife...it's very sad that we still deal with this in 2015!!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
McKinney wasn't racism. McKinney was thugs that got the cops called on them...by other black citizens. And white kids were detained too. You just saw ONE video that the media got some mileage out of. Viewership was up because they exploited it, ad rates went up and all of a sudden we're still a racist country.

San Antonio isn't racist. Texas isn't racist. America isn't racist. There's always an ahole somewhere and if you LOOK for racism, you can find it, or at least make it seem like it's there when it's really not.

We've got a black mayor and president. The republican party has hugely admired black folks too.

It's really getting old

Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,826,047 times
People are going to be people - there's going to be racism encountered ANYWHERE in the WORLD. Some will be worse than others - but having traveled quite a bit in my life, I'll say that you'll actually encounter less in San Antonio that many would have you to believe. A lot will depend on how YOU deal with it.

And let me point out.....racism comes in ALL colors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio