Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

All you birdwatchers out there, when should I get my hummingbird feeders ready??? I always seem to be a little late.

Know it is early, but now that I am retired, want to try and get ahead of the powercurve and get them out for the 1st arrivals! Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 02:23 PM

108 posts, read 119,579 times
I get Humming birds but I think it is late spring. Right now I have a flock of Cardinals and they look fantastic. Both male and female. Four or five couples. I have a Chinese Pistache tree that produces little berries by the hundreds. The Cardinals love them. They show up every year about now and every time they show up they bring friends.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredandRetired View Post
I get Humming birds but I think it is late spring. Right now I have a flock of Cardinals and they look fantastic. Both male and female. Four or five couples. I have a Chinese Pistache tree that produces little berries by the hundreds. The Cardinals love them. They show up every year about now and every time they show up they bring friends.
I have a lot of them in our yard as well, but then we have the bird feeders out. Hummer feeders have been much more difficult for me since you REALLY need to change out their "food" every 48 hours in this crazy Texas heat....don't want to make them sick for sure. With all that sugar, they are a petrie dish for slime/mold growth...now that I CAN devote the time, want to make it REAL for these little ones!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM

269 posts, read 745,764 times
long time no posting but thought to drop by

We usually start putting a small amount in feeder early March. Last year we had an empty red glass feeder and could see them looking for the open sign. Either way we have found being early will usually mean lots of hungry hummers.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM

108 posts, read 119,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
long time no posting but thought to drop by

We usually start putting a small amount in feeder early March. Last year we had an empty red glass feeder and could see them looking for the open sign. Either way we have found being early will usually mean lots of hungry hummers.
I guess time just runs away and I can't keep up with it. I try humming bird feeders but the Yellow Jackets take over. The Mud Daubers are even worse. I have tried bird house gourds but they get taken over by nasty bugs. I have found it best to just let nature take its course and I help out when I can.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Rather than put out feeders that you have to maintain have you thought about planting items that attract them?

Such as the items on this list?
Plants for Attracting Hummingbirds to Your South/Central Texas Garden | Urban Program Bexar County

Old 01-24-2016, 08:25 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Rather than put out feeders that you have to maintain have you thought about planting items that attract them?

Such as the items on this list?
Plants for Attracting Hummingbirds to Your South/Central Texas Garden | Urban Program Bexar County
That's a great idea, as long as you don't have deer that come to your yard. I'm fenced in, so thanks for the link.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:53 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
The hummingbirds are usually here by mid-March. I've had plants and feeders for years, so I'm on their route!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 PM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Last year I filled the hummingbird feeder once and came home is it was a ball of honeybees. Since then, I just keep the native flowering plants watered and blooming that the hummingbirds seem to visit a couple times a day.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,610 times
I think March is about right to begin seeing the hummingbirds. I kept having problems with ants getting into the sugar water of my feeder via the plastic coated wire it hangs from. Saw a great tip to put a stop to it - put Vaseline all up and down the wire or string and the ants cannot get through. For the most part it really works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio