U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 657 times

Advertisements

Our family will be retiring to the San Antonio area this October. We have children in high, middle, and elementary schools. After working in IT (Information Security) for the Navy Iam ideally looking at contractor/GS opportunities at one of the bases. My wife is a nurse. We are attracted to areas that are more suburban, safe, good schools...and a close by Costco would be awesome too. We will need a 4+bdrm, 2600 sqft+ home, preferably newer. Our purchase budget is up to $350k and rent up to $2100. We are looking at New Braunfels, Cibolo, and Schertz. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM

739 posts, read 815,933 times
I own an older home which I inherited from my parents so no help there as far as housing prices go.I'm sure there are some four bedroom homes around here in your asking price.Yes you can try applying at RandolphAFB or Fort Sam Houston . Randolph if you moved in this area would be close.Another place you could apply to would be Rackspace .They are on Walzem Road in the old Windsor Park Mall in Windcrest. It is I guess about a 10 to maybe 15 mile drive.Not that long a commute if you take IH35 and go south though sometimes IH35 traffic going south can back up.If you pick schertz or Cibolo you can just get on FM78 and have a straight shot to Randolph. I work for Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD. We have an IT department and many of the people are ex military as are many of the teachers and maintence and other employees.
The children in the school district are invovled in various things like collecting canned food for the needy at the holidays as well as other community activites. The district does have a website and you can check it out for information in regards to school.We have good schools and many good teachers who care about the students.In Schertz there is a YMCA and library and the city is building a new natatorium (indoor swimming pool) plus we have a big park along Cibolo Creek. Sometimes you see people fishing there.We have a number of celebrations like Fourth of July;Schertz Fest; a jazz festival etc.
Right up the road is New Braunfels which has Schlitterbahn the famous waterpark plus Wurstfest and Christmas events.
Landa Park there is very nice too.They have an Alamo Draft House Movie Theatre and there is Regal Cinema Live Oak 18 in Live Oak a few miles from here.
Grocery shopping is Arlan's Market and H.E.B.Plus as well as Walmart. H.E.B. has a wikepedia page and is a big south Texas grocerystore chain based in San Antonio.Today was opening day for the new Walmart in Cibolo only two miles from Schertz.
There are two hospitals in the area plus various doctors offices as well as vets for your pets.
As far as food goes you have all kinds of mexican restaurants ;fast food;some chinese ; a chinese and vietnamese (4Star Noodle House) plus Texas Roadhouse Steak Houseand two italian places .Zio's and Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden in New Braunfels.there are various places in New Braunfels to eat to.
There is baseball leagues and soccer leagues for kids. Natural Bridge Cavern and Wildlife Ranch which you can go to.
Now Six Flags Fiesta Texas is out on IH10 West and there is also Sea World San Antonio way on the other side of town.
There is an amusement place out on US Hwy 87 and ZDT in Seguin.Seguin is the seat of Guadalupe Countybut you can pay your property taxes here in Schertz as most of the county's population is out in this area.
For shopping you have the Forum at Olympia Hills.Part of it is in Live Oak and the other part in Selma.It has Target ;Home Depot;TJMAXX;Old Navy;Hobby Lobbyetc. Here in Schertz we also have a Lowe's next to IHOP and Mamma Margie's and H.E.B.Plus.
Another popular place people go to for antiques and shopping is Gruene.It's a small town east of New Braunfels and has one of the oldest dance halls in Texas.
We have various churches around here. I belong to Good Shepherd Catholic and we have a festival every year in Schertz Park. The area has grown so that there are plans to build a new church. If you're catholic Our Lady of Perpetual Help has a school and in Schertz is St.John Paul 2 High school.It's located in the old Comal School building in Comal.Think that is now considered part of Schertz.
I hoped that helped some or maybe not.But it does give you an idea what's out this way. You might check with the Randolph Area chamber of Commerce for other information.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:39 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
Retiring, but yet you both work????

Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM

26 posts, read 24,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanfinn View Post
Our family will be retiring to the San Antonio area this October. We have children in high, middle, and elementary schools. After working in IT (Information Security) for the Navy Iam ideally looking at contractor/GS opportunities at one of the bases. My wife is a nurse. We are attracted to areas that are more suburban, safe, good schools...and a close by Costco would be awesome too. We will need a 4+bdrm, 2600 sqft+ home, preferably newer. Our purchase budget is up to $350k and rent up to $2100. We are looking at New Braunfels, Cibolo, and Schertz. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

A majority of the IT Info Sec contractor work and GS work is in the Lackland/Security Hill/Port San Antonio area. Many of the Gov/Mil IT profs live in the Alamo Ranch area where they are building a new Costco as well.

Alamo Ranch is also relatively close to the SA Medical Center where there are a ton of nurse jobs.

Another popular place for Lackland/SA Medical Center profs is Helotes which is a little further away from Lackland.

There are a decent number of IT/Info Sec jobs at Ft Sam/BAMC and Randolph, but not nearly as much as the Lackland area. Now for gov/mil nursing, BAMC is the place to be. Many of the medical profs at BAMC live in the Schertz/Cibolo area as well as the Stone Oak, Encino, and Alamo Heights ($$$) area.

$350k/4BR/2600sqft is doable in all these areas except for Alamo Heights. There are several other nice areas in SA for profs -- most of the newer neighborhoods are outside of Loop 1604, though.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
I would suggest Alamo Ranch area. Westover Hills which is just across the 1604 expressway is becoming a major hub for IT with Microsoft, Frost Bank, Kohls, Chevron, etc putting in HUGE IT hubs. The only base here that would require any high level security would be Randolph. One of the ladies in IT Security out there I've known for over 20 years says they are phasing down Randolph so it may be a place of no openings or cutting staff. I don't really know the projections or time table on that. But Westover is a major area of IT and I'm sure they're in need of experienced folks like you. Might take a tour around the area. It's literally under construction. Not sure about our schools needing that kind of help but that might be another avenue to explore.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 AM

520 posts, read 600,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I would suggest Alamo Ranch area. Westover Hills which is just across the 1604 expressway is becoming a major hub for IT with Microsoft, Frost Bank, Kohls, Chevron, etc putting in HUGE IT hubs. The only base here that would require any high level security would be Randolph. One of the ladies in IT Security out there I've known for over 20 years says they are phasing down Randolph so it may be a place of no openings or cutting staff. I don't really know the projections or time table on that. But Westover is a major area of IT and I'm sure they're in need of experienced folks like you. Might take a tour around the area. It's literally under construction. Not sure about our schools needing that kind of help but that might be another avenue to explore.
Virtually all IT presence in Westover Hills is datacenters, which while large in physical size only have a handful of hardware guys. I'm not familiar with FB, Kohls, and Chevron opening operations but if they are also DCs (which makes sense given SA's notable lack of natural disasters and cheap electricity), it will be more of the same. I'm not sure how much IT they have at the NSA compound but I know there are a few.

From what I've been told competition for the DoD jobs is pretty tight as active duty who work there EOS/retire into the contractor jobs and new government positions are a rarity. With the drawdown of Iraq & Afghanistan so goes the fat contracts.

The big dogs in SA continue to be Rackspace and USAA with a decent number of smaller employers around. Dice and usajobs.gov are your friends and it doesn't hurt to know who has contracts with who.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 AM

13,102 posts, read 17,661,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Retiring, but yet you both work????
Google Navy retirement and you will understand.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:09 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default Better to,

If DOD jobs are so scarce better to work in the private sector so as to build S.S. retirement benefits anyway, rather than a G.S. job after retirement.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:35 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Google Navy retirement and you will understand.
Does it suck? To me,retiring is retiring, no work. I have about 4.5 years left...then no work. I will be 55. Wish I could've done it quicker.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 AM

13,102 posts, read 17,661,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Does it suck? To me,retiring is retiring, no work. I have about 4.5 years left...then no work. I will be 55. Wish I could've done it quicker.
OP did not ask about retiring or not retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio