U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,172,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
But add some ground chili pitenes to 'em, an' you've got ya something worth eatin'!!
My grandma would throw in pieces of bacon or ham bone .

Now you startin’ to make me hungry for pinto beans !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
I disagree that "Texas is all about the Tex Mex" too. Every part of Texas has a different flavor. You can't find a carne guisada taco in San Angelo, or really even in Dallas. If you do find one in Dallas, it doesn't taste like one from San Antonio. Dallas seems to be a bit more "interior Mex" than Tex Mex. I haven't eaten in Houston in years so I am not sure what their Mexican food would be called. My point is, if you are used to Mexican food tasting a certain way, and you move within the state, it's not going to taste the same, jast as moving here from out of state. Pining for what you are used to is not worthy of being shamed. It's food, one of the basic necessities. You like what you like.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,535 times
Las Palapas has burritos.

Taken from their website.
"At Las Palapas we’ve combined the best of South Texas and Southern California. If you’re craving something from the West Coast, try our famous “Macho Burrito” or Fish Tacos… Want something more Tejano?... scoot up and try our Cheese Enchiladas or Puffy Tacos. We serve Breakfast 24 hours a day! So come on down Amigo!"

Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 AM

513 posts, read 1,249,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Not sure what you mean that “Texmex is dry”.
Sorry, kind of hard to explain. I find meat is tougher here and lacks flavor. Not as juicy.also the enchilada sauce isn't as flavorful . doesnt have that kick in it . it's doenst mean its not good,just I'm used to it a different way. As someone mention if you travel within a state the food changes . so either I get used to it or just enjoy something else .

Sorry to have brought up a touchy subject

Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Not at all - actually, I think it's both interesting and fun.

One of the things I love about Mexican food is that it IS so widely variable. Generally speaking, it's been my experience that the more "hole in the wall" it is, the more likely that it's going to be a true Mexican dish, with variations based on who taught the cook.

I absolutely abhor the fijoles in 99% of the chain style restaurants, simply because they're being made to suit "Gringo" tastes rather than embracing the array of spices generally found. Most of them serve it reheated out of a can - and you CAN taste that can, IMO. One of my customers is a well-know chain, and I talked w/one of their cooks one day as he was making (from scratch) up some pinto's, asking him why their beans and refried's were so bland. Turns out they have a recipe that must be followed to the letter. I get it for the consistency aspect, but whoever made that recipe up must've been from NYC.

And enchilada's.....now THERE is a staple that has more variations than my wife has shoes! Different cheeses, sauces, ingredients - the lazy places get their sauces from a can, but the good ones make their own - and even when they're different, I usually love it!

Pinto's......lemme see....beans, water, can of beer, onions, garlic, cilantro, jalepeno's, chili pitenes, chili powder, salt....what else do YOU ad to yours?

Now y'all are making me hungry - may have to make up a big ol' mess of venison chili this week!!!

Old 01-31-2016, 11:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,172,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
Sorry, kind of hard to explain. I find meat is tougher here and lacks flavor. Not as juicy.also the enchilada sauce isn't as flavorful . doesnt have that kick in it . it's doenst mean its not good,just I'm used to it a different way. As someone mention if you travel within a state the food changes . so either I get used to it or just enjoy something else .

Sorry to have brought up a touchy subject
I don’t relate it as a touchy subject. At least not for me.
You are merely pointing out your preferences.

Several years ago, I went to visit Los Angeles.
For the most part, the places that served “burrito” tacos,
the flour tortillas were super-super large.
Perhaps this is also found in SA. today.

I haven’t tried different places in SA to make a determination
that all the meat is “tough”.
But I do know that the H grocery store where I purchase the meat,
is generally tough.
Sometimes I'm lucky & get a good cut of meat.

As far as eating Mexican food in public places, basically there are two types.

The chain-restaurants mostly cater to a “certain” clientele.
If you like tacos that taste like Fritos & are not too spicy.
This is right up your alley.

Or the local places that have a very distinct flavor.
Everyone that enjoys Mexican food this way has a favorite spot.

Personally, there’s one tiny location that makes the best ever refried beans.

Anywhere else, they taste like canned refried beans.
I know about canned beans because I have tried them in the hopes that the
can label promised me that they were authentic tasting refried beans.
They lied !

But, in all fairness, what’s authentic for me may not be for you.
It all depends on what they bring to the table...

Last edited by ranchodrive; 01-31-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 PM

4,140 posts, read 4,113,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post

The chain-restaurants mostly cater to a “certain” clientele.
If you like tacos that taste like Fritos & are not too spicy.
Haha, tacos that taste like Fritos, I never thought of it like that but it's true.

OP, I am in SD but from originally from SA. As far as taco shops, its nice for me to be able to drive down the street here and order a carne asada, carnitas, or a California burrito (the one with French fries in it) to my heart's content or even a plate of birria, BUT SOMETIMES I wish I could order barbacoa, carne guisada, or even just a simple bean and cheese taco on those delicious little fluffy flour tortillas. I won't say that one is better than the other or that one is more authentic, but as you can probably tell I do get nostalgic for SA Tex Mex and sometimes wish it were easier to come by here in SoCal. I also get nostalgic for Bill Miller BBQ!

My point is, be glad you didn't move to Seattle, Minneapolis or Boston if you love varieties of Mex food.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM

4,140 posts, read 4,113,205 times

Old 01-31-2016, 02:25 PM

293 posts, read 323,099 times
we moved here from california and there is this one place by my house that we said reminds us of california style mexican food, the chef I believe is from california but they do emphasize lots of fresh vegetables and not alot of sauces covering things up. Even the simple bacon and egg breakfast comes complete with these awesome fresh made potatoes that are more than half veggies. I enjoy it and its called el buen guesto its off tezel and mainland, not sure where you are situated.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:35 PM

50 posts, read 38,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca324 View Post
we moved here from california and there is this one place by my house that we said reminds us of california style mexican food, the chef I believe is from california but they do emphasize lots of fresh vegetables and not alot of sauces covering things up. Even the simple bacon and egg breakfast comes complete with these awesome fresh made potatoes that are more than half veggies. I enjoy it and its called el buen guesto its off tezel and mainland, not sure where you are situated.
I'll second the recommendation for El Buen Gusto. Family owned and moved here from California. Food is awesome and extremely affordable, and the folks are super nice. We eat there very often. I'm not familiar with what you would consider Cali-Mex, but this isn't your typical Tex-Mex restaurant.

El Buen Gusto Mexican Cafe - 38 Photos - Mexican - 7709 Tezel Rd - San Antonio, TX - Reviews - Yelp

They were listed at #56 on Yelp's recent Top 100 places to eat in San Antonio:

Yelp Community Blog: Yelp's Top 100 Places To Eat In San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio