Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:31 PM

432 posts, read 523,504 times

Advertisements

Is he on the TV news everyday ? (WOAI)

Probably not, but most days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I personally am NOT a fan! He appears to be very narcissistic to me and I am saddened that he was "rehired".

I am a VERY strong police supporter (my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty) but this guy makes my skin crawl.

There were also "questionable" circumstances regarding his "rehire" (and I am NOT a fan at all of LULAC)....just calling a spade a spade!

Controversy over San Antonio police chief appointment ahead of vote

Guess it goes to prove that SOME OF US that others feel have "strong opinions" and others may see as bias are still flexible when we see something that we feel is not correct.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:17 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Paka,

To be a narcissist and a policeman is probably a very common situation. McManus may be a fancy Dan but this does not mean he is necessarily a bad cop.
I don't understand your line of reasoning Paka, do you think NcManus is a bad cop ? He seems to be capable enough. Has the Dept. done some major bungling under his leadership? What has he done? What is he, Inspector Clouseau or something ?

Recall the inept Sheriff Buford Justice of Bandera County of a few years ago. Remember it all? That series of events, very bad, very public, that made Bandera "the law enforcement laughing stock of Texas". As I recall the quote.
Remember when two sheriff deputies "apprehended" a young mother and left a little baby alone in the backseat of a car on some dark road way out there -and over a very minor civil offense? Expired license. A major crime in Bandera.
Another deputy instinctivly shot the jailer in the leg with his handgun because the jailer purposely frightened hell out of him - Inside the brand new Jailhouse too ? Ooops. It was an accident.
As the Sheriff said in the television news interview commenting upon the accidental shooting the next day, " The outcome of this could have been a whole lot worse." He had chew in his cheek during the news interview too, inside, the Sheriff's office. There was a lump in his cheek and he spoke as one who is chewing Redman would sound with chew in his mouth. Those familiar with rural folk around here understand.
One has to keep the chew between the cheek and teeth and move the lips simultaneously.

Using the Sheriff's boat to go on a fishing trip and also using the Sheriff's office for undue courthouse influence?
It, all this stuff happened in a very short time span, was very surprising and once certain that all involved came out of this fracas alright, amusing to see on television too. Better than sitcoms. Originally funny.

QUOTE=Paka;42914649]I personally am NOT a fan! He appears to be very narcissistic to me and I am saddened that he was "rehired".

I am a VERY strong police supporter (my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty) but this guy makes my skin crawl.

There were also "questionable" circumstances regarding his "rehire" (and I am NOT a fan at all of LULAC)....just calling a spade a spade!

Controversy over San Antonio police chief appointment ahead of vote

Guess it goes to prove that SOME OF US that others feel have "strong opinions" and others may see as bias are still flexible when we see something that we feel is not correct.[/quote]

Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 PM

I never said he was a bad cop and you are certainly entitled to your opinion of him, as I am mine.

Just feel the guy spends WAY too much time in front of the camera and has very self serving interests after leaving the job and 6 months later wanting it back.

I feel the process of hiring his replacement was something that was tossed aside to facilitate his desires based on his relationship with Scully.

You are obviously a member of his fan club, and that is your right, but not everyone shares your enthusiasm over him.

Last edited by Paka; 02-06-2016 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 AM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I never said he was a bad cop and you are certainly entitled to your opinion of him, as I am mine.

Just feel the guy spends WAY too much time in front of the camera and has very self serving interests after leaving the job and 6 months later wanting it back.

I feel the process of hiring his replacement was something that was tossed aside to facilitate his desires based on his relationship with Scully.

You are obviously a member of his fan club, and that is your right, but not everyone shares your enthusiasm over him.
I'd say anyone who aspires to be chief of anything requires a certain amount of narcissism - you are essentially saying I am the best person to run this organization/company/country and you don't just fall into those positions, who have to actively work and politic your way there over a career.

I did find the retirement to CPS (another semi-government entity and then (essentially) hiring himself back into the Chief of Police position a bit....small town good old boy networkish. Anyone have any salary numbers, say before and after. The out and back in maneuver is common in structured pay raise environments to get more money. Does CPS feed into the TMRS? If it does, he didn't even have a break in retirement credit.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
I did find the retirement to CPS (another semi-government entity and then (essentially) hiring himself back into the Chief of Police position a bit....small town good old boy networkish. Anyone have any salary numbers, say before and after. The out and back in maneuver is common in structured pay raise environments to get more money. Does CPS feed into the TMRS? If it does, he didn't even have a break in retirement credit.
Reportedly, McManus returned to the SAPD helm at his former salary. Sculley: McManus will not get raise; returning at prior salary

SAPD doesn't use TMRS, that's the civilian employee retirement plan, at least as far as San Antonio is concerned. SAPD & SAFD use the San Antonio Fire & Police Pension Plan. In San Antonio, Fire & Police have compensation and benefit packages that are separate from civilian employees (except for Airport & Park Police). I would assume the Chief receives the same benefit package, as the rank-and-file officers he is in charge of.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default I could not care less,

Am certainly not a "Fan" of Chief McManus, Paka, I don't have enough information to make a judgement about his effectiveness or ineffectiveness in his job, but I certainly do not think he should or should not be there in his position because of being handsome or not. No more or less than Mr. Trevino should be there because of, purported narcissm .
IF Mr. McManus was reinstated into his post because of favoritism over past flubs and mistakes I can understand the invalidity of his being reinstated over Mr. Trevino. McManus seems professional enough to me , from what I see of him on newsreels. His public statements seem knowledgeable and accurate and I can't remember any huge mistakes which have happened under his watch. I remember some jail inmates have died while he was in there. Yes.
I simply don't believe that being narcissistic or not being narcissistc, to be a disqualification for the position. I do not understand the basis for such a judgement and so I merely asked, "Why not, McManus?" I thought there was more than mere narcissm involved perhaps ?
It seemed a random way to make such a citizen's call, did the Chief make a lot of mistakes or something?
I don't know.

Moderator cut: The Off Topic Bashing, Politicizing, etc, etc etc, has been edited from this post...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-07-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
His public statements seem knowledgeable and accurate and I can't remember any huge mistakes which have happened under his watch. I remember some jail inmates have died while he was in there. Yes.
Bexar County oversees the jail, not SAPD.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:55 AM

Perhaps you should watch him try to describe the "very sloppy" work done in this murder case:

"48 Hours" Everything to Lose (TV Episode 2012) - IMDb

Furthermore, the process of "selecting a replacement" had begun, the close out date had passed, and those that had met the criteria were being vetted, then WHAM! he wants his old job back, all the "requirements and rules" are thrown out the window because he and Scully are "close friends". Nepotism at its best! That is MY issue with his rehire. Had they decided to "reopen the announcement" they would have had to prove that those that had met the deadlines and qualifications were not qualified, and since they could not do that, they back doored the entire process.

Regarding your little "friend" scenario, lets play this one out. Someone at your work leaves their job. Gone, not intent to leave, notification to leave, but has actually LEFT the position. You, being qualified and having waited your turn to apply with the required qualification, apply for the job. Only you MISSED the deadline by a day or two because you were away for some reason. Do you think they would consider YOUR application since you did not meet the closeout of the announced position? Now lets pretend that you WERE there and DID submit everything according to requirements within the timeframe given for the announcement, were being vetted as one of the finalists that made the "cut"....and they decide to let this other guy "waive" the rules to be hired over you. Let me guess, you would be inclined to say "hey, no problem" and just roll with the punches?? We BOTH know the answer to that one!

And just to clarify the "salary increase" he left making $205K and was rehired at $212K per year. http://nowcastsa.com/blogs/william-m...o-police-chief

And your statement about him being "handsome", I guess you might find him attractive, but me, not so much.

Last edited by Paka; 02-07-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM

232 posts, read 379,961 times
Interesting article I read this morning. Kinda goes along with this thread.

Texas newspaper plans to publish names, addresses of police officers | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio