Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
This blows my mind. I mean what kinda of person would kill somebody just because they look at your brother wrong??? This is sad and pathetic and i would be ashamed that this man be my brother. Seems like you have to be a pretty loose cannon to do a senseless act like this.
Not sure but we definitely need to use good ole Texas punishment on this punk. Make an example of him for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
There is obviously a problem with the safety if we are having to compare it to South Chicago, Philly, and the Tenderloin just to feel better.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclor85 View Post
Honestly, this does make me feel unsafe. I go downtown at night at least one weekend a month. I was down there on Friday! I know people who go downtown every weekend. I don't feel unsafe in some parts of downtown... but it still is scary.

I hope this doesn't affect life downtown... but I can see how it easily would.
I have always felt unsafe downtown. I am not concerned that I may become a targeted victim of crime since I tend to stick to the touristy and thus populated areas, but in getting to such destinations you inevitably come across a group of 20-something thugs with such a look of attitude that it seems like they'll snap if another group gives them the wrong look. Lest I become a victim of crossfire, I tend to whisk my 6-year old daughter inside the Riverwalk or the Children's Museum (the only reasons I go downtown). Even the Riverwalk Mall feels unsafe. I heard a fight between two girl groups on a floor above me on a Saturday afternoon. Their screams and shouts could be heard throughout the mall.
Whats the solution? I don't know. A Get-Tough-On-Thugs program with a cop on every corner would only result in innocent kids getting harassed. I do believe most young people there are well intentioned - its the usual few bad apples.
Its probably statistically unlikely that I'd get caught in the middle of something, but I prefer to err on the side of paranoia. I won't stop going downtown, mostly because my daughter loves the boat rides, but I'll continue avoiding congested areas with young people.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 PM

203 posts, read 561,183 times
There's no where else for these thugs to go since they have already infested North Star Mall too. La Cantera is still nice because I doubt any of these idiots even know what Burberry or Hugo Boss are. Maybe if we start enforcing the curfew laws that are in place it will help with the problem at Rivercenter.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
It is important to note that the tourist was not the target of the attack, but unfortunately was hit by a stray bullet. First and foremost, we should all be very grateful that she wasn't hurt much worse. Secondly, there really isn't much you can do to stop random violence like this. The recent stories about the shooting at the Lane Bryant store and the city council meeting are prime examples. This doen't indicate a return to the old West where a man could be shot for snoring, nor would stricter gun laws help as these people would do what they do regardless of what the law says.

I wouldn't even label this as a "media sensation" as it really wasn't played up in the media that much. Many of us didn't know about it until we read it on this forum. I would consider it an isolated event that will randomly occur from time to time. And while you should always be alert in the downtown, or any major city, San Antonio is relateively safe and I don't think anyone should worry about incidents such as this as they are few and far between.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM

355 posts, read 1,374,829 times
All of these "thugs" you guys are talking about, I have a feeling are just good kids from the nearby neighborhoods and schools like fox tech.Just because they dotn look like your kids doesnt mean that they are all thugs and out terrorizing the neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 121,146 times
I don't think the area has much to do with the issue of problem people, it is all over every town and state.

Lunatics run rampant, things like drug users or sellers are never arrested anymore, to much work to write an arrest report I guess.
Lunatics have too many rights and crime pays big bucks now.

I forgot to mention, way back in the 70's I remember reading about 2 guys in a nightclub both standing at a jukebox drunk, one wanted to borrow a quarter for the jukebox, the other guy said no, the first guy then shot him dead over not loaning him a quarter. Lunatics are funny that way. They will even shoot you for not giving them a cigarette if they are drunk and just jonesin' for nicotine but I am sure all cities have their own breed of Lunatics.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
Default San Antonio's East Side

I completely disagree with the statement that Sunset Station is in an unsafe area. I work right next to the facilities and have never experienced anything indicating that my saftey was at risk.

Sunset Station is an events venue and the scene is professional and actually quite charming.

The incident in question was tragic but also unrepresentative of the business entity and surrounding area.

Last edited by aliceMS; 02-11-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceMS View Post
I completely disagree with the statement that Sunset Station is in an unsafe area. I work right next to the facilities and have never experienced anything indicating that my saftey was at risk.

Sunset Station is an events venue and the scene is professional and actually quite charming.

The incident in question was tragic but also unrepresentative of the business entity and surrounding area.
I hope some poor fellow or gal doesn't get jumped because he/she believed what you just said.

You have to watch your back everywhere you go in this city. Especially at night when people are drinking.

Am I scared of sunset station? No. Am I going to go there Solo at night? Hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio