Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:17 AM

303 posts, read 364,524 times

Advertisements

A lot of doctors and medical professionals live in Shavano Park - the location really can't be beat. Extremely easy access to the Medical Center and surrounding attractions.

For public schools, Clark High School is a great high school and well respected by Shavano Park citizens, Hobby Middle School, not so much.

We live in Shavano Park and send our kiddos to private schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausalito View Post
What are some general differences between Shavano Park and Rogers Ranch?
Rogers Ranch is closer to the Stone Oak area. It is much smaller than Shavano Oatk. It's also newer. There are hated neighbors and not gated areas. From what I have seen the yards are smaller. You will have to research the west side and the east side of the neighborhood as Rogers ranch parkway is the dividing line of neisd and nisd. Again, both districts would be gone choices. Shavano park is both old and new. There are older homes with large lots and newer more master planned homes. It would obviously be your choice as to which would be best for you. The only downfall I see with shavano park is that it is zoned for Hobby middle school. Hobby pulls from the lesser affluent apartments right by the school. However, it is not a bad school (or at least when u was there in the 90s I didn't feel unsafe or that I was with lesser performing or poor students). The area right outside of shavano park (west of shavano park) is zoned for a better middle school but an older elementary with both going to Clark. I think the nisd kiddos at Rogers ranch will go to the same elementary but different middle and high schools as shavano park.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think the nisd kiddos at Rogers ranch will go to the same elementary but different middle and high schools as shavano park.

Same high school (Clark), but Rawlinson MS, and Blattman Elementary... though it looks like Rogers Ranch is split between elementary schools.

For the OP, for specific NISD boundary information, you can go here: Resource Planning : Boundary Maps | Northside Independent School District with the caveat that they are subject to change every year... especially if you are on the edge of a boundary.

As an aside, I live inside 410, and our neighborhood is home to many doctors who take a quick trip up Fredericksburg Road. Our school district, however, can be hit or miss, and those with kids primarily send their kids to either a private or magnet school (I count the "internal charters" in our district as magnets because they draw from more than just our district).

Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Same high school (Clark), but Rawlinson MS, and Blattman Elementary... though it looks like Rogers Ranch is split between elementary schools.

I thought Shavano Park went to Blatmann too. But maybe that's changed (but would be weird since it;s on 1604 on Shavano Park's side). I just assumed they would go to Brandeis. But good to know they'll go to Clark.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I thought Shavano Park went to Blatmann too. But maybe that's changed (but would be weird since it;s on 1604 on Shavano Park's side). I just assumed they would go to Brandeis. But good to know they'll go to Clark.
They do. Bad writing on my part. Only the middle school appears different.

Regarding Brandeis, the boundary between Clark and Brandeis is I-10 once you get north of 1604 until you get to Boerne Stage Road, i.e. The Dominion is still zoned for Clark, but Crownridge is zoned for Brandeis. With all of the growth along Boerne Stage Road, that may change in another 5-10 years.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM

163 posts, read 311,346 times
There's a new development going up along 1604 across from Shavano Park area that has homes in your price range. Also, some of the homes in Willow Wood (I think that's the name) are in that range as well. The latter is @ Military and 1604. We've checked out both recently and the only thing that put us off are the smaller (<.5 acre) lots.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventurous View Post
There's a new development going up along 1604 across from Shavano Park area that has homes in your price range. Also, some of the homes in Willow Wood (I think that's the name) are in that range as well. The latter is @ Military and 1604. We've checked out both recently and the only thing that put us off are the smaller (<.5 acre) lots.
Make sure to clarify between Military Dr. and NW Military hwy. Military Dr is on the far west side and NW Military Highway is where you are referring to at 10/1604. It can be super confusing for all the new people around.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:08 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
I would DEFINITELY get with a realtor that KNOWS what your specific needs are for schools vs internet "knowhow". While each and every post above MAY be well intended, nothing like a realtor that can tell you which schools are zoned for the area you are looking into for that next school year is really all that relevant. New schools, fast growth and rezoning are HOT issues here in San Antonio right now.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I would DEFINITELY get with a realtor that KNOWS what your specific needs are for schools vs internet "knowhow". While each and every post above MAY be well intended, nothing like a realtor that can tell you which schools are zoned for the area you are looking into for that next school year is really all that relevant. New schools, fast growth and rezoning are HOT issues here in San Antonio right now.
Yes, there are some good realtors out there, but I also believe that anything a realtor says should be verified.

But... a realtor is not going to give you some of the personal stories ("we live in Shavano Park" for example) which are very relevant to the purchase of a home. Boundary information is easily verified via the various school district websites, i.e. a realtor is probably not going to have any additional insight. In fact, many who post may actually have "inside" information as they may be residents or professionals (architects, engineers) working on the next bond issue and know where the next schools are being planned, which subdivisions are getting ready to turn dirt, etc.

So... interview and select a realtor, but also verify everything they say. Online resources are a great way to perform that checking... and vice versa.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yes, there are some good realtors out there, but I also believe that anything a realtor says should be verified.

But... a realtor is not going to give you some of the personal stories ("we live in Shavano Park" for example) which are very relevant to the purchase of a home. Boundary information is easily verified via the various school district websites, i.e. a realtor is probably not going to have any additional insight. In fact, many who post may actually have "inside" information as they may be residents or professionals (architects, engineers) working on the next bond issue and know where the next schools are being planned, which subdivisions are getting ready to turn dirt, etc.

So... interview and select a realtor, but also verify everything they say. Online resources are a great way to perform that checking... and vice versa.
This is how I feel also. There is very little a realtor can provide you in terms of information that you don't have access to or can't easily find out yourself. Most people are going to depend on a realtor though and there is nothing wrong with that, just have to take their word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio