U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,414,002 times

Advertisements

I wasn't writing of you at all. A misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
ged_782; Chaka; huckster

Pardon me for pointing that as a former member of an ISD board, that NOBODY needs "pre-K" to do well in school IF there is a QUALITY kindergarten program. - IF the current kindergarten program isn't working, then spend the money on kindergarten & DUMP "pre=-K"

Face facts: You & a lot of other well-meaning people were sold a bill of goods by people who are FINANCIALLY invested in having "pre-K for SA" of $$$$$$$$, that benefits the few & at the expense of the majority.

You should also face the FACT that it IS expensive babysitting & nothing more than that, no matter what you WISH that the program could be/would be/might be/etc. = It's a waste.

yours, tex
There is a mountain of data, in publication for years now, internationally, that indicates the advantages of quality pre-K, which is why many European countries have been providing it for years. The US really lags behind in education.

Don't assume because I disagree that I am naive and ignorant and "sold a bill of goods." I actually have a fair knowledge of it and am comfortable with my argument. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:43 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,414,616 times
What people keep forgetting is that prek4SA is just for a select few that qualify (must be a poor child, pity pity...got it passed) , yet that EVERYONE pays for it. I have never liked how it was handled and the whole structure of it.

The idea behind the program is fine, but why not make it standard state curriculum for every child (poor or not)? Make every child attend school at that age.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM

330 posts, read 500,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What people keep forgetting is that prek4SA is just for a select few that qualify (must be a poor child, pity pity...got it passed) , yet that EVERYONE pays for it. I have never liked how it was handled and the whole structure of it.

The idea behind the program is fine, but why not make it standard state curriculum for every child (poor or not)? Make every child attend school at that age.
I believe that is the eventual goal, but with limited resources come limited spots that go first to those children in greatest need.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,637,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
ged_782; Chaka; huckster

Pardon me for pointing that as a former member of an ISD board, that NOBODY needs "pre-K" to do well in school IF there is a QUALITY kindergarten program. - IF the current kindergarten program isn't working, then spend the money on kindergarten & DUMP "pre=-K"

Face facts: You & a lot of other well-meaning people were sold a bill of goods by people who are FINANCIALLY invested in having "pre-K for SA" of $$$$$$$$, that benefits the few & at the expense of the majority.

You should also face the FACT that it IS expensive babysitting & nothing more than that, no matter what you WISH that the program could be/would be/might be/etc. = It's a waste.

To huckster: Can you NAME a single streetcar/light rail system ANYWHERE in the USA that is run efficiently, serves the majority of taxpayers OR is not constantly on the verge of "going broke" without constant infusions of more taxpayer's money??
(I'll save you some time looking, as there is NOT even one such efficient system & that comes even close to breaking even.)

yours, tex
Disneyland Monorail works quite well.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
There is a mountain of data, in publication for years now, internationally, that indicates the advantages of quality pre-K, which is why many European countries have been providing it for years. The US really lags behind in education.

Don't assume because I disagree that I am naive and ignorant and "sold a bill of goods." I actually have a fair knowledge of it and am comfortable with my argument. Thanks.
That may well be true, but I believe his point, and I agree with it, is that it isn't needed here since so much of kindergarten is spent on stuff those kids did in pre-K.

So, I don't think there's really much advantage to pre-k here since they're not learning anything they won't relearn in a year. It's a waste of time and money in nearly all cases.

If every kid was provided pre k without cost, and every kid got that basic education and therefore kindergarten didn't have to go over that stuff to be sure that everyone is on the same page, things might be different.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM

76 posts, read 40,293 times
ged_782,

FINE. - Nonetheless, it was the SELF-important/arrogant/greedy/SELF-SERVING ONE PERCENT that pushed for it & at the expense of the 99% & likely to the REAL educational benefit of NOBODY.

Had the "powerful" not pushed for the babysitting program, it would NOT have passed & we taxpayers could have NOT been bled for more $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

As I said earlier, IF the current kindergarten program needed plus-ing up with "Pre-K", it is the kindergarten program that we need to improve.

Personally, I think that we NEED to do a "line by line" audit of EVERY public program & by an OUTSIDE auditor to DUMP all the wasteful/abusive/fraud-filled things & pay-off the money that has already been programmed BEFORE we spend even one more dollar for "nice to have" stuff.
When waste/fraud/abuse is found, as a real audit WILL find, we need to fire and/or prosecute those who failed to keep the public's trust/funds OR "ripped everyone off".

A decade ago (before I retired) when I was still on US Army active duty, I was a Deputy IG for a period & in 10 days or less, I'd bet that I can find at least a MILLION dollars in waste, fraud & outright stealing from the public purse. = A really well-qualified auditor, armed with the ability to investigate fraud/waste/abuse could likely find MANY MILLIONS in "rip-offs".

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 03-04-2016 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 PM

prim8,

EXACTLY SO. = WELL-SAID & better than I said it, too, in a lot less verbage.

yours, tex

Old 03-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Soviet,

Do you know what the cost benefit analysis of the Disney system is??

What FACTS do you have as PROOF of how well that the Monorail works per dollar invested??

yours, tex

Old 03-04-2016, 05:51 PM

Chaka,

IF you look you can find a "mountain of (FICTICIOUS) data" for almost any wasteful program.
As the old saying goes, "Figures do not lie but liars surely do figure" & those crooks know how to "create figures" to support their pet projects.

VERY few "public service projects" exist that are NOT filled with fraud, waste, "brother-in-law deals", rip-offs & outright thefts.
(With no more than my 3+ years as a government Deputy IG, I'd bet that with the authority to investigate, interrogate "public servants" & make lawful apprehensions that I can find MILLIONS of such waste & fraud.)

A fully qualified audit force can find a GREAT deal more than I can as a relatively under-qualified investigator.
(My actual expertise is in investigating "crimes against persons". - FWA investigators usually are CPA-qualified, as well as police investigators.)

Fwiw, MOST of the "rip-offs" that I personally uncovered were "conversions of public funds to private or unauthorized uses". = In one case, the "public servant"/criminal was buying millions of dollars in UN-NEEDED "spare parts" for equipment that the government did NOT even own from a "shell company" that belonged to his wife's family..

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 03-04-2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or