U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 03:01 PM

76 posts, read 40,218 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut: off topic/bickering]

I've asked repeatedly here for prime source documentation of actual FACTS & all I've gotten in response is any number of variations of, "I read someplace that----".- NOT even ONE factual/prime source is offered as proof of their (mostly false) conclusions & unsupported opinions.

yours, tex

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 03:15 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,238,825 times
[quote=satx78247;43252817][Mod cut: now orphaned]
What you have is an opinion based on your work experience, which is anecdotal. There are other K-12 teachers who hold a different opinion. I was actually a teaching assistant in a kindergarten class before Pre-K 4 SA, but I'm not going to base my opinion of the program on my anecdotal experiences. Since you made the claim first, where is your proof? Have you taught or even observed the Pre-K 4 SA classes to come to the conclusion that the program is just babysitting?

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 03:19 PM

huckster,

And based on your post above, you think that we should NOT clean up the fraud/waste/abuse/corrupt practices/outright criminal behavior in government (whether in the behavior of elected officials or employees) because public corruption is commonplace??
(How well did your Mother take it when you wanted to do something unwise as a child & said, "but, but, but Bobby's mom lets him do that"?? =====> Because many people in society are crooks, it seems silly to suggest that criminality should be ignored because 2/10/100 or even a million people do dishonest things.)

Your response?

yours, tex

Old 03-05-2016, 03:31 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,238,825 times
[quote=satx78247;43253045] [mod cut: now orphaned. Please go back on topic]

It is anecdotal when there are many people in your field who hold a different opinion. That is why empirical research is used to find the truth. Honestly, you're just a stranger on the Internet. Your opinions are just as good as any other stranger's. [mod cut: orphaned] You're just making assumptions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 04:00 PM

[Mod cut: off topic] return to the actual topic: Getting rid of Sculley & replacing the City Manager with nobody?
Also we might consider changing the city regulations to a "strong mayor" form of government.

We might also discuss my suggestion to do a top to bottom audit of the city government programs (by an outside/neutral group) to end the fraud/waste/corrupt practice & other criminal behavior that exists throughout the government at every level AND not approving any more "give-away & nice to have programs" until/unless that full audit is completed.

just my OPINIONS, tex

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 03-05-2016, 04:46 PM

520 posts, read 600,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
[mod cut: off topic] return to the actual topic: Getting rid of Sculley & replacing the City Manager with nobody?
Also we might consider changing the city regulations to a "strong mayor" form of government.

We might also discuss my suggestion to do a top to bottom audit of the city government programs (by an outside/neutral group) to end the fraud/waste/corrupt practice & other criminal behavior that exists throughout the government at every level AND not approving any more "give-away & nice to have programs" until/unless that full audit is completed.

just my OPINIONS, tex
The position's salary is within the market for cities with the same type of government adjusted for size and cost of living. I did an analysis a while back when this first came up based salaries in an article about the then highest paid City Manager of Dallas and a mention of the departing City Manager of Phoenix's salary. In short, her salary isn't out of line. Now whether she is doing the job well or not can be argued.

I'd argue that infrastructurally speaking SA needs a LOT of work especially when you get out on the periphery of the city where unmowed/trashy roadsides and medians are the norm - that is a basic service that the city provides. To me and my military attention to detail OCD self that is ready indicator that there are probably bigger unseen issues not being taken care as they should.

Before trying to push for a Managing Mayor restructure of the government realize that the City Manager salary would have to be transferred to the Mayor to attract anyone of quality, 46K isn't going to cut it, and even then with it being a non-qualifying (anyone can run regardless of background) elected position you would more times than not end up with unqualified people in City Hall. City Manager positions were created exactly because of this reason.

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 PM

CyVaquero,

Actually, If you can believe THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS of a few months ago, Sculley is THE highest paid City Manager in the USA, IF we adjust for cost of living.
(Aren't we all glad that we don't pay NYC or LA prices for much of anything that ordinary Americans need to buy?)

IF we had a "strong mayor" form of government, we could afford to pay a decent salary (though NOT the obscene amount that Sculley receives!!) to the Mayor.
(Given the number of young retired military officers, WO & SNCO in San Antonio, I wouldn't be shocked to fins a talented military retiree at 100,000.oo. = Like a "high speed, low drag" former senior Engineering officer for example.)

IF we did the audit of every program in SA & clean-up the FWA problems, perhaps we could pay-off some of the money that we owe, solve the infrastructure problems & still NOT raise taxes.
(I don't know about you but the total taxes paid now from the IRS to the ISD are more than any of want or even NEED to pay.)

What I am SURE of is that we taxpayers cannot afford any more give-away & "nice to have projects" that benefit only the FEW & at the expense of the rest of us.

just my OPINIONS, tex

Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM

L210,

What on Earth are you talking about?? = I said nothing of the sort that you falsely claim in comment #20.
(May I suggest that you go reread #20 & you'll see what I mean?? Perhaps you miss-numbered your complaint about my comment??)

yours, tex

Some posts were edited/deleted, and the posts are renumbered.

Last edited by elnina; 03-17-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or