U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Reputation: 10693

Advertisements

I just don't share the love for Sea Island. To me it's greasy fast food. Kinda blah. J Anthony is no better and Freds Fish Fry is not near as good as cheap fish sticks- barf! Frankly, all the sea food places in SA suck. Last decent sea food I had was at Kings Inn and that's not in SA, that's below Kingsville in Rivera and they have their own boats. It's fresh sea food and fabulous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
 
108 posts, read 84,749 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I just don't share the love for Sea Island. To me it's greasy fast food. Kinda blah. J Anthony is no better and Freds Fish Fry is not near as good as cheap fish sticks- barf! Frankly, all the sea food places in SA suck. Last decent sea food I had was at Kings Inn and that's not in SA, that's below Kingsville in Rivera and they have their own boats. It's fresh sea food and fabulous.
Thats what you should do. If you don't like any of the seafood restaurants why don't you just catch your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Lone Star State to Peach State
3,798 posts, read 3,489,764 times
Reputation: 6889
Oh how I miss my hometown and her food!!!

Bud Jones Fish anyone????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Reputation: 10693
Quote:
If you don't like any of the seafood restaurants why don't you just catch your own?
Looking for a boat now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 04:24 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163207
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 04:40 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,545,412 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredandRetired View Post
Thats what you should do. If you don't like any of the seafood restaurants why don't you just catch your own?
Should just go to Groomers...buy and prepare your own, like me. My opinion is the same as his...the seafood restaurants around here pretty much suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,619 posts, read 12,922,258 times
Reputation: 10693
SATX56, I almost thought you knew my kuzin. His Bertram is almost identical to that one. But that's not the kinda boat I'm looking for. My Ford Supercrew hasn't got near enough grunt to pull that on a trailer. My preference is towards a 19-20 foot with 120-150 HP outboard. Low maintenance and won't eat you out of house and home. I'm looking for an older model, one with lots of freeboard and a deep forward entry, like the old Larson Lapsides or similar. I've had a 35 ft Viking- won't do that again. They're nice if money is burning a hole in yer pocket. I kept it at the municipal docks at Port A. With full fuel tanks, idle out of the harbor into the channel, run out to the end of the jetties and then someone gets sick and turn around, come back and top off the tanks would cost close to $100.00. On a weekend of hard fishing you can easily throw 1000 bucks in the fuel tanks and that doesn't count any maintenance, bait, ice, food, or repairs. Those big boats costs a lot of dough to have. I'm looking for a lot cheaper, something to enjoy, not brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
SATX56, I almost thought you knew my kuzin. His Bertram is almost identical to that one. But that's not the kinda boat I'm looking for. My Ford Supercrew hasn't got near enough grunt to pull that on a trailer. My preference is towards a 19-20 foot with 120-150 HP outboard. Low maintenance and won't eat you out of house and home. I'm looking for an older model, one with lots of freeboard and a deep forward entry, like the old Larson Lapsides or similar. I've had a 35 ft Viking- won't do that again. They're nice if money is burning a hole in yer pocket. I kept it at the municipal docks at Port A. With full fuel tanks, idle out of the harbor into the channel, run out to the end of the jetties and then someone gets sick and turn around, come back and top off the tanks would cost close to $100.00. On a weekend of hard fishing you can easily throw 1000 bucks in the fuel tanks and that doesn't count any maintenance, bait, ice, food, or repairs. Those big boats costs a lot of dough to have. I'm looking for a lot cheaper, something to enjoy, not brag about.
My former employer kept his 46 1/2' Bertram docked at his place next to Hasslocher's in City by the Sea at Rockport. My dad and uncles use to catch snapper about 20 miles out of Port Mansfield. Polunsky's would supply squid bait. I've never been interested enough in boating to want one myself. More expensive than an outdoor pool to keep up. Last time i was at Mansfield was the weekend of the 72' Dallas/Miami Superbowl. Froze our butts off. Made in home in time to see Dallas kick butt. I'm not a real fish person. I like snapper and grouper and not too excited about other fish.

Sea Island is good enough for this land lubber. Barnacles Bill's wasn't bad I suppose.

Last edited by SATX56; 03-13-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM
 
1,413 posts, read 1,866,750 times
Reputation: 848
Good Time Charlies has a decent catfish sandwich but we are trying to get out of the fried genre or fish with some noveau cuisine chimera of a sauce.

Hadn't had an expensive fish dish worth the money. BTW - if you want crappy lobster - Red Lobster is the place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
843 posts, read 459,775 times
Reputation: 2322
Ate at Sea Island in New Braunfels earlier this week. First visit. Ordered the chipotle panko breaded whitefish with fried okra and mini corn on the cob. Spousal Unit ordered shrimp, black beans, and fries.

About 25 minutes after ordering, we picked up our meals. My fish was nicely breaded and had a great crunch, but there was zero chipotle flavor. The manager walked by just as I swallowed the first bite, so I told him that it wasn't chipotle. He offered to have another cooked, but I was hungry and not willing to wait another 25 minutes. So he brought a container of the chipotle sauce it was supposed to have been cooked in, and that tasted fine. Still only a slight chipotle flavor, but ok.

My dish also came with a tiny kebob of popcorn shrimp, which I did not recall being part of the dish. No matter. Spousal Unit traded it for a hush puppy.

PRO: Nice breading on the fish, not at all greasy. Good flavor, even if it wasn't really chipotle.
PRO: Spousal Unit (a shrimp snob) said the shrimp was ok. That's a big compliment from Spousal Unit's perspective.
PRO: Fried were good, hush puppies were good, corn was really sweet (may have gotten a shipment of Super Sweets) and excellent, black beans were good.
CON: Fried okra had way too many stems in it. Otherwise, flavor was ok - not excellent, but ok.
CON: Menu does not include fried clams, only clam chowder. I really, really like fried clams. Maybe in Rockport next week (is there a clam season in the Gulf)?

I'd eat there again, to try something else. One visit just wasn't enough to tell if I'd make it a regular stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top