U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,447,950 times

Advertisements

I also agree with others saying CM is not what it used to be. I still make my occasional trip there but I find just about everything I can get at CM, I can get at HEB and non HEB stores closer to me, including hatch chili when they are in season. If you enjoy shopping with some (not all) folks with their nose so high up and shop there just to be seen shopping there, then CM is the place for you. Probably why I occasionally hear some people call it 'Gucci-B'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 12:11 PM

557 posts, read 400,864 times
Those who have a chip on their shoulder about shoppers at CM should probably not be shopping there anyway: I've never seen anything there but well-behaved, happy folks. The 'Gucci' line has been used since they've opened... That's nothing new.

IMO, this is one of San Antonio's main problems: You have a business that charges more for a premium product and many in this town immediately criticize. If it's not cheap and plentiful, they're not excited about it. It drives a lot of would-be businesses to open elsewhere (Austin, Dallas, Houston), where people with money can spend without being money-shamed by an overwhelming working class.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

IMO, this is one of San Antonio's main problems: You have a business that charges more for a premium product and many in this town immediately criticize. If it's not cheap and plentiful, they're not excited about it. It drives a lot of would-be businesses to open elsewhere (Austin, Dallas, Houston), where people with money can spend without being money-shamed by an overwhelming working class.
The thing is...HEB's pricing structure is basically charge more here and there while charging less in other areas. CM is no different to this pricing structure. You can find yourself paying more for a pound of beef at Dezavala as opposed to HEB near Pleasanton rd.

What premium products does CM (other than their own private label) offer that is not sold anywhere else in this city that demands a premium price?

I am not going to shame you for spending 3X more for a block of "premium" cheddar that I paid way less for somewhere else. It is your choice. Money does not buy class or intelligence.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM

557 posts, read 400,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Money does not buy class or intelligence.
And in return, neither does being thrifty and shaming others for having the money to spend as they wish.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
And in return, neither does being thrifty and shaming others for having the money to spend as they wish.
That is the thing. I am not shaming you for HOW you spend your money.

I just don't like the snobby and elitist culture that some at CM display, what you seem to be saying is that I label anyone who spends a lot of money at a grocery store as a snob which is not true. My paint brush is not that broad.

One can spend a lot of money WITHOUT being a snob about it.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM

344 posts, read 331,911 times
CM has one of the best coffee and bulk sections around.

Far superior to any other HEB in this town.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,162,625 times
Central Market people seem fine to me, nothing too snobby about them at all in my opinion. I go there when I am in town because I love Southern California craft beer and its the only place in SA that I know to get good SoCal micro beers to go such as Green Flash, Karl Strauss, and Stone.

If anyone else knows of a better place to buy good beer not any further North than CM on Broadway, please post.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:29 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,876,348 times
I have to agree about folks at CM's attitudes. Nary a smile going down the aisles. It does reek of matrons of privilege. Whole Foods is similar except the flag ship store on Lamar which has the weird folk of Austin. They are friendly.

Sorry if that offends the denizens of Broadway and AH.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,162,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I have to agree about folks at CM's attitudes. Nary a smile going down the aisles.
Apart from good beer, good dry salame and a few other choice items, I shop mainly at HEB on Zarzamora/Military and the WalMart on 35 and Palo Alto while in SA, the snobs of the Southside don't smile at me either while shopping beleive it or not.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:32 PM

425 posts, read 516,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The thing is...HEB's pricing structure is basically charge more here and there while charging less in other areas. CM is no different to this pricing structure. You can find yourself paying more for a pound of beef at Dezavala as opposed to HEB near Pleasanton rd.
I challenge you to find a retail business that does not do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio